Author Topic: Salsa. Mild, medium or hot?  (Read 6731 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Salsa. Mild, medium or hot?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 01:30 PM »
Sad but true...ever since I was diagnosed with the Raging Case of Acid Reflux I've been cutting back on spicy foods...no more jalapenos on my sub at Subway, medium salsa on the Burrito at Chipotle and medium or mild on the tacos at home.  I miss the heat but don't miss the esophogial spasms that were a part of my life for a long time

Old man take a look at my life...

Oh wait, no, I'm not ;D  Blazing hot, pay for it the next day, import that sh!t from Mexico where it's made with rodents and stuff HOT!

I get acid reflux occasionally but as long as I eat something before bed, I'm good.  It may not be the best for the waste line, but waking up with bile in your throat is a better alternative?  I think not.  Gaviscon settles it pretty quick and it happens 3-4 times a year only.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 02:19 PM »
So I'm lookin' for stuff.  I have ordered in the past and will order again shortly, Lizano salsa.  It's not really a salsa per se, more of a very mild hot sauce to go on food - rice, eggs, BBQ, etc.  But in my searches, I've come across Lizano Chilero, a red hot sauce that I cannot find for sale at online stores.  Anyone have a retailer near them that carries this stuff?

In Hawaii we also rediscovered our love for Maui Tacos salsa as well.  Will be trying some of their stuff from their online store (sadly the local shops didn't sell anything :-\)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 07:18 PM »
I love Hot Salsa, or any kind of hot sauce for that matter. I've got a few good ones at a local store that sells nothing but Hot Sauce. But I've never seen that one Brent.

On a side note, I accidently picked up a jar of Newman's Pineapple Salsa a while back, but tried it anyway - and it's great. I never thought pineapples and salsa would mix well, but this stuff is great!! I'm hooked on it now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 11:45 PM »
I'll let you know how the Maui Taco in a jar goes.  The pineapple salsa on the Island is awesome, we ate there four times :-[ including just before the flight back, possibly not the wisest choice ;)  Wouldn't mind doing a comparison with the Newman's. 

That Lizano (chilero) is pretty new and I can order it online from Central American retailers, but that makes me a tad nervous.  I get the regular Lizano Salsa from Salsasetc.com.  Decent enough price, but shipping is a bitch.  Local Salsa place doesn't carry it, preferring to go with various ridiculously hot other products.  They're fun and all, but I actually like to taste stuff, rather than drown it afterwards. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: March 1, 2005, 12:24 AM »
On a side note, I accidently picked up a jar of Newman's Pineapple Salsa a while back, but tried it anyway - and it's great. I never thought pineapples and salsa would mix well, but this stuff is great!! I'm hooked on it now.

I'm happy to report that I am also now hooked on Newman's Pineapple Salsa thanks to this thread.  Damn is it a great mix of sweet and spice :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 1, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Hot. Hot hot hot hot hot. I was RAISED on spicey foods. I do enjoy a food that makes my tounge hurt. I did learn that some things can be TOO hot. If anyone has been to a hotsauce specialty shop, get them to give you a sample of pure capsaium (capsasian?) extract. It looks just like pizza grease, and they pulled a prank on me. They put it on my pizza, and since I hadn't eaten all day, I scarfed it down...and then I started to cry, and cought, and thrash, and proceded to throw up. Alot.

But back to salsa, I make my own. Usualy just enough for me. 3 seeded tomatos,  1/4 cup chopped onions, 1/4 cup of green (or red or yellow) peppers, 1 seeded and chopped jalepeno, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, some lemon and lime juice (just enough to know it's there), salt and pepper to taste. That's some gooood stuff. Sometimes I add in a bit of tobasco sauce for a little different flavor.

If I can recoment a chip for salsa: Tostitos Hint of Lime. Also a good eat alone chip. ;)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 1, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I hate those hint of lime chips.  They are just vile :P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2005, 11:27 AM »
I hate those hint of lime chips.  They are just vile :P

It's only because your old. :P I love those chips. They are full of flavor. Whee!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 2, 2005, 02:09 PM »
They taste like ****.  Try adding fresh lime juice to your salsa to get the same effect and a much better taste.

I usually try to avoid jarred salsa.  It's pretty easy to make your own.  Plum tomatoes, an onion, garlic, fresh cilantro, S&P, lime juice and a little bit of sugar to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes.  Adjust the heat with jalepenos.  The wife doesn't like spicy foods, so it's usually on the mild side.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2005, 05:57 PM »
I love the very hot sauces.  To me, mild is a waste of time.
Red peppers more so than green peppers, w/ jalapenos being an exception. 
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline cCc2021

• Youngling
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2005, 06:28 PM »
HOT sauce! Nothing else will do!  ;)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2005, 01:32 AM »
Medium. I like my salsas and sauces to have a little kick, but I don't need the stuff that peels the surface off your tongue. ;)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2005, 03:04 AM »
I like my salsa sweet.  Vons has a peach/pineapple salsa.  That stuff is great.  I also like homemade mango salsa, yum yum. 

Offline Mr.MojoRisin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Execute Order 66
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2005, 06:11 AM »
Hot.  Hot as you can get it.
Execute Order 66: www.execute-order66.com

Offline Newman

• Youngling
  • Meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Medium for me, right in the middle.  Not too hot but it has just enough spicyness for you to know what your eating.