Author Topic: Do You Tip?  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Do You Tip?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 11:46 PM »
How about haircuts?

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 11:53 PM »
Okay, would you tip in this situation... you order a pizza from a place that offers in 30 minutes or free.  The delivery guy takes 31 minutes.  When you point it out to him he looks like he's going to cry.  Oh man, this happened to me one time, my girlfriend at the time had the place on the phone when he got there, she gave him the phone and his face just dropped and he ran out of our apartment before we could give him anything.  Man I felt like such a tool, but it's their policy not mine.  I don't know, I now make it a point of not getting pizza from places with policies like that.

Oh and I don't eat at buffets. :-X

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 12:04 AM »
How about haircuts?

Depends on the haircut, I'd say.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 12:08 AM »
How about haircuts?

Yeah, I tip haircuts. In Minnesota I went to a place where the owner cut my hair, and I tipped him because I considered him a friend more than becuase it was customary.  I think I was tipping 3-5 dollars on a 15 dollar haircut.

In Utah, a woman (also a friend) cuts our hair and I tip her because I know she's having a hard time right now and because I feel her prices are a little low.  She's charging either 15 or 17 or 18, I honestly don't know because I've just been writing the check for 20 or 25 since we moved here in 2001. She worked with one other person when we first moved here, now she works out of her basement.

What about at the holidays?  Do you guys tip more for regular services (haircuts vs. eating out)?  Do you somehow acknowledge that it's more because of the holiday?  What about city workers, newspaper delivery or postal carriers?  I wish I did more at the holidays, but I'm not sure what is appropriate.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 12:20 AM »
What about scoring drugs? I'd say not tipping the lady who cut your hair is probably more dangerous than not tipping your pusher, though... I've always tipped about $5 for all of my haircuts, even the not-so-good ones.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 12:32 AM »
How about haircuts?

Yeah, how about 'em?

As I mentioned here, I've been shaving my head lately, so there's nobody for me to tip.

Instead, to show myself how much I appreciate what a good job I did, I'll usually just curl up with a good nudie mag and rub a couple out. 

Save myself a lot of money that way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:46 AM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 12:59 AM »
If I'm in a restaurant I tip 20%, at a buffet it's usually a $1 or $2 depending. 

Bar?  I always tip the bartender.  You order a beer, toss and extra Washington his way and you're first up on the refill next time you hit the hardwood.  After that it's every couple beers and every mixed drink.

Pizza delivery guys always get a tip but I don't tip if I go and pick it up.  I usually tip for a haircut and that's definitely one where the tip is directly impacted by the job they do...more so than for a waiter/waitress or bartender or whatever.

That's about it.  I don't tip for anything else.  Beyond those situations it's just ridiculous.  I work in a "tech services" department and if I spend an hour on the phone fixing a broken network or 2 minutes telling someone to reboot I get paid the same, there's no tip for my service.  Most things, you do the job and you get paid.  If you aren't making enough, get a better job, don't ask me for extra money.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 01:01 AM »
I've always tipped for haircuts too - when I'm actually going to a barber or salon.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 06:42 AM »
How about haircuts?

Yeah, I tip haircuts. In Minnesota I went to a place where the owner cut my hair, and I tipped him because I considered him a friend more than becuase it was customary.  I think I was tipping 3-5 dollars on a 15 dollar haircut.

I tip haircuts too.  I read somewhere once that you tip for a haircut, unless its the owner, then you don't tip.  I never understood why, I still tip no matter who cuts my hair.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 08:15 AM »
It honestly never occured to me to tip when I pick something up myself.  I'm not trying to stiff anyone -- but how does ordering a pizza, me driving to get it, waiting around for them to finish it and then paying for it merit a tip for them?  What's difference between that and me walking up to the counter at any other food joint and ordering a salad/sandwich/pizza and having someone prepare it for me?   Must I tip everyone? ???

I'm with you here.  The tip line is on the reciept because it is on ALL reciepts.  A tip is for service.  Ringing me up is not a service.  If I sit in, I tip at least 20% and more for good service, and less for bad.  As long as a wait person makes sure my drink is full and that I have napkins, I am happy.  I don't see you during the meal at all? Your tip drops.  I hate it when people don't tip (when the service is good).  Wait people make a lower wage which is supplemented by tips.

As far as buffets go, I usually tip $1 per head.  They do very little service.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 10:08 AM »
It honestly never occured to me to tip when I pick something up myself.  I'm not trying to stiff anyone -- but how does ordering a pizza, me driving to get it, waiting around for them to finish it and then paying for it merit a tip for them?  What's difference between that and me walking up to the counter at any other food joint and ordering a salad/sandwich/pizza and having someone prepare it for me?   Must I tip everyone? ???

Are you saying you don't tip the cashier at the grocery store? Wow, that's just low. You obviously don't appreciate the service they're giving you.  >:(  Yeah, I'm with you.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 10:16 AM »
The buffets I am thinking of are the ones that are totally self service where they only come and remove your dirty plates.  I usually don't tip those places

Haircuts is usually a buck

Takeout I don't tip

Curbside delivery I usually do a couple bucks

Here's another new one:

When I used to travel for my old job me and my coworker got in a big debate about tipping the cleanining person in your hotel room.  This would be if you stay more than 1 night at a spot

The other is the bus services that shuttle you back and forth to the airport

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 10:41 AM »
So here's my two cents  :-\

I'm with Morbug, I worked in a lot of restaurants while I was in school and after, and as a consequence I tend to tip pretty well. But I feel they need to earn it too, and don't automatically deserve it. I'm just pretty easy to please in that regard.

Sit down dinner it always 20% unless the service was bad (not the food), if there was attitude, etc.

Take out is a case by case basis. I usually throw in a buck. I know a fare share of restaurant workers/managers, and I feel compelled to tip just because I know what its like, and I'm picking up some slack for someone who didn't tip earlier when they should have. I don't expect everyone to, nor do I think its required in most cases. I can see why people have tip jars for take out. Some guy who splits the tip is still putting together a to-go order in place of an order of someone who may be sitting down for full service. Sure restaurants are set up for both take-out/sit down, but some people are doing the same work for either one. Again, I don't this is a requirement though. Maybe just a little token of appreciation if someone was prompt, helpful, etc, because we know how rare that can be.

I usually tip a buck even for a cup of coffee, if I sit down in the place.

Not all receipts have a tip line. It just depends.

Of course there are good reasons for not tipping.  I really can't stand attitude, so that right is the deciding factor.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 10:56 AM »
How about gas station atendants? At full servce statuions?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 01:13 PM »
When I used to travel for my old job me and my coworker got in a big debate about tipping the cleanining person in your hotel room.  This would be if you stay more than 1 night at a spot

Meh. Here lately, anytime I go to a hotel they're real serious dicks about not giving me any fresh towels... I'm not reusing my ******* towels so that they can save a few dimes by not doing laundry. It's bad enough that I have to be suspicious of the sheets, now I have to worry about the towels?