Author Topic: The Other Half and Your Collection  (Read 16354 times)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Re: Would you give up collecting for a woman?
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2005, 11:46 PM »
Hell no! 

Come to think of it all started when my wife game me a orange card POTF Dagobah Luke on our 5th date. 

Thats when you know the relationship is starting to get serious. Where I'm from, you usually don't even get a major character until at least the 10th date...but I guess we were raised differently.

;)
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2005, 12:00 AM »
I wouldn't give up anything for a woman :-X

There goes that fantasy ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2005, 12:21 AM »
I already have a woman who supports my hobby.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2005, 01:02 AM »
My wife loves Star Wars as much as I do, so I don't think that would ever come up.  She did help talk me into being an opener though. I remember I used to think that was crazy and these days I'd never go back.

Hypothetically...if it came down to her or the collection for some crazy reason, of course I would lose the junk.  Anyone who would choose toys over their partner...needs help.

But nah, Heather would ask me to give up video games LONG before Star Wars. I think my toys are safe until the last game system is gone.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:05 AM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2005, 01:30 AM »
If that hypothetical situation was toys over your partner because like if you didn't give up the toys she'd die...  Yeah I'd give them up of course, however if it was her saying "You can have me or the toys, but I can't stand your hobby anymore" she can kiss the tip of my weenie because that's a big fat crock of poodoo for women to tell you what to do (or husbands in the reversal, of course).  Besides showing a controlling nature it is highly disrespectful and shows absolutely no actual love...

Now, the exception to the rule is if your hobby is detrimental to existance...  IE: You go into debt (or debt you're unable to control), you spend grocery money on toys, you freak out on her because you're mad about the Rebel Fleet Trooper sucking...  Not that I'm saying that could happen even, just bringing it up.   :-X  ;)

But yeah if it was just me buying my crap as usual and she just said one day she's sick of me doing toy runs and wants me to quit or she's leaving me then I'd tell her to pound pavement.  I've found plenty of women who liked my hobby in the past, and I'm sure I'd find plenty in the future.

Not that my current gf would do that, she's always said what I do is better than crack...  I don't know to compare, but I'd think it's at least a step below.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2005, 02:34 AM »
I would never let my hobby interfere with the relationship I have with my wife (almost 18 years now), period. My wife is my best friend, my lover, and helps me to maintain a balence in my life. Toys or relationships . . .  I'll take the relationship . . . . after I get done with tonights hunt . . .

Kinda of reminds me of the Man Song . . .

http://toilette-humor.com/the-man-song.html

"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2005, 09:16 AM »
Yeah, pretty much what Jesse said. If my wife were controlling enough to tell me what to do, I think I'd need to rethink my relationship. However, if collecting was detrimental to our relationship (spending all my time with the toys and none with her, or buying what we couldn't afford), I'd surely give it up.

However, it's kind of a moot point for me now, since I already gave up collecting (though I keep telling myself it's only temporary) for two women...my daughters. ;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2005, 09:39 AM »
Jesse beat me to the punch as well. It's one thing to shift your focus in an exciting way toward a loved one, be it an opposite number or a child, but another when the other person is giving you an ultimatum. It won't just stop with collecting and it's not accepting who you are (as long as you're reasonable and don't let collecting run your life.)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Depends on who she is and what she brings to the table.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03 PM »
. . .and what she brings to the table.

It had better be MY DINNER, dammit.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2005, 01:28 PM »
Just for the record, I'm in no way in a situation where my wife is telling me to get out of the hobby.  She supports it 99.9%.  I was just wondering what everyone's take was on it.

Now we've been married for 3+ years and have a great marriage.  If she told me to get rid of the collection... hmmm....  I don't think I would have married her if I thought she'd ever do something like that.

But scale back?  I think we both know that will be necessary once we have a kid.

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2005, 03:31 PM »

If it was Star Wars figures in general, I would say for the perfect woman yes.

The Perfect Woman :-X??! What is that? Does it exist ???? I fell it Taboo to place those two words next to each other in a sentence. That said.... my stance: Accept me or do not(toys included with sloth). Luckily, she did.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2005, 06:00 PM »
Now we've been married for 3+ years and have a great marriage.  If she told me to get rid of the collection... hmmm....  I don't think I would have married her if I thought she'd ever do something like that.

Yeah. I agree in that I don't think I would have married the kind of woman who would ever ask me to give up a hobby either.  The kind of person that wants to change you is trouble.

On the other hand, if any hobby I had was more important to me than my wife, I wouldn't have married her.  I'd just be asking for trouble.

When I was single (or just dating girls casually) my answer would have been quite different I'm sure, but once you find that one to settle down with....I think it brings things into perspective and your opinions change.  I really enjoy going on toy runs, and I love marvelling at my stacks of toys...but I'd throw them all out if my love for the them ever began to compete with the love I have for my wife.  ;D

Of course, like I said before....it's probably easy to say knowing she's never going to walk into my collection room one day and say "all this **** has to go, I want a sewing room".   ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2005, 06:20 PM »
No. Like Kev said, it's a package deal.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: December 1, 2005, 01:31 AM »
toys included with sloth

You have a real sloth?  I want one too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77