Author Topic: George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise.  (Read 105220 times)

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 03:33 PM »
He's not the VOTC.  They can keep him.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 03:53 PM »
The face sculpt is neat though - it's his likeness from 1977.

I think it's cool!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Yeah, the sculpt is really good.  I just think they cheaped out, especially considering you have to buy all 5 VTSC figs, which are at least $10 a pop, and likely more depending on where you shop.  For all of that, they could have given us value.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 04:08 PM »
So it looks like a new head sculpt instead of the Sacul head. Extremely easy custom to make if you have a Sacul head cast. I wonder if they got the idea for this from FFURG's fan fic recipe gallery.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I like the 70's era headscuplt. That's cool.

I guess I'll skip the complaining and be glad that I don't need more than one of these.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 04:34 PM »
I think that pic they used as an ad is photoshopped.  If you look closely at the one with the helmet on, under the chin you can see a white area that isn't there on the removable helmet one.  I think they are going to be molding a new helmet rather than the one we see there... otherwise, why didn't they show him holding the removable helmet?

Sucks that it's the 1998 mold, but still a cool collectible.  Also nice that I don't feel compelled to get several.  Maybe one or two.  The head looks great though.

:P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I like the headsculpt, and I suppose it is a cool collectible. I do wish it was on a VOTC body though. Ah well.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I'm almost glad it's not a VOTC body, because how retarded would it be to get a Lucas VOTC Stormtrooper before we got proper Luke and Han VOTC Stormtroopers?

---

On second thought--the more VOTC Stormtroopers out there, the better.  But it still would have been really, really silly.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Yeah, this is a cool oddity.  I'll get one, but I won't  be watching my mailbox.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Well, it looks pretty neat, but I'm not going to buy 5 extra VOTC figures just to get it...not this time at least.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Ha! The first thing that popped into my head with this younger version of the JorgTrooper was Lucas in Love!  :D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:18 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 02:18 AM »
I just need one, that's all. I would have tried to get more if it was the VOTC sculpt, but what can ya do?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 03:20 AM »
I like the 70's era headscuplt. That's cool.

I guess I'll skip the complaining and be glad that I don't need more than one of these.

I couldn't have said it better Jared...

I'm all for a VOTC Stormtrooper, but not if it's got a removable helmet with Lucas underneath.  For me, if it saves them a couple bucks to cheap out on a Lucas figure that isn't in the movie (IE: not Popanoida), then I could give a **** what sculpt they used.  It could've been the POTF2 figure for all I care, and it would've made it that much more comical to me actually.  This figure just doesn't interest me as anything but a novelty, kinda like silver figures and crap like that.

If it was the VOTC Stormie I'd probably be mad taht they'd use the sculpt for a give-away but not put the f'n thing out on a basic card in droves for people to army build.

Now if they were just giving away Stormtroopers, I'd want VOTC all the way...  Army builder's dream the day that happens.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 07:40 AM »
That is a great sentiment Jesse.

Case assortments may be market driven (and by market here I am speaking of the retailer rather than the end consumer), but even case assortments invariably lead to stores ordering less cases. All it takes is 1 or 2 slow movers in a case, and in 6 weeks there will be 16 of them on the pegs, and the store computer will tell them not to order anymore because they aren't selling. The case assortments lead to peg warmers, which lead to less stock ordered, which leads to higher prices by Hasbro (a smaller number of sold figures must generate the same revenue).

Give me a mail away or direct order option for my army building needs. My damn death star closet is overflowing with troopers, but I will buy more anyway if they have some decent articulation and are priced reasonably. Bring back the plain- boxed stormtrooper sets with 4 VOTC Stormies for 30.00 and watch them fly out the door. We probably all have the carded one we need, now give us the grand army of the imperial empire and let the applause begin!

They could pull the gentle giant trick and throw a chase figure in there too. Every third box has a Han stormtrooper, Luke stormtrooper, or Georgie. While I don't like the chase figure business, at least it would give them a vehicle to get those items out to collectors.