Author Topic: George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise.  (Read 105000 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise.
« Reply #75 on: April 4, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Wow, looks like that initial BBTS report was correct after all.   :o

My plan is to hope that I can sneak the tabs out of my carded set to send away for a 2nd Lucastrooper so I have 1 to open and 1 carded.  Seems like a better alternative than buying a second loose set...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 4, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Jeff, I'll probably get multiples of each as openers, if you want I could probably mail you some mail-in tabs once I have some.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: April 4, 2006, 08:06 PM »
PM sent, CHEWIE.   ;)

I know I'll try to send away for as many as I possibly can just to ensure that I get a really mint-mint version for my opener. 

Like I said way earlier in this thread, I have zero confidence in Hasbro's ability to ship these withouit some sort of damage occuring to the majority of them.   :(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

Re: 2006 vOTC (or vTSC) - now with pics!
« Reply #78 on: April 4, 2006, 08:07 PM »
If this has already been covered here, I apologize, but those different tabs--how fakeable do you guys think they're gonna be? 

It's not as if the people up in Maple Plains, Minnesota, or wherever it is, are going to be examining the forms with magnifying glasses or anything.

And if it's morally-wrong to fake some tabs, well, it's even more wrong to require people to buy multiple Greedos and Han Endors just for the "privilege" of buying their special action figures.

I guess it depends on your collecting ethics. Paul's pics make it look like we'll see mass theft in stores for the tabs or lots of returned items seemingly missing nothing, but have had the packet removed.

This might be a stupider move than the EB Kit if what seems likely to happen in fact does take place.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: April 4, 2006, 08:25 PM »
It doest appear that there is any way to tell if the packet has been removed either. :-\

Thruth be told though, this isn't that much different than people taking out the figure and replacing it with an old POTF2 figure and returning it. The people at retail are clueless to that stuff and with the clamshell it would be easy to do.

I don't know that there really would be away to have this kind of mail in offer without scammers getting the UPC or whatever was needed though.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #80 on: April 4, 2006, 08:38 PM »
I think we all can agree that stealing the tabs out of the stores is wrong, as is producing tabs when you haven't bought the required five figures. 

But I think their policy requiring tabs from each of the five figures is balls, too.  And if I were an army-builder, planning on buying multiples of the Scout and Sandperson, and I wanted multiple Georgetroopers for whatever reason, I'd have no problem with faking the tabs from the other guys.

'Course, the envelope-openers up in Montana likely won't be checking too closely for the five individual tabs, either:

Five tabs?  Check.
Order form?  Check.
Check?  Uh. . .  Check.

Someone should send in an offer with all Biker Scout tabs, for example.  I'd bet they'd score a figure.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 4, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Not sure how I feel about him being on a vintage card. Makes sense, yet it seems wrong.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 5, 2006, 09:28 AM »
For the most part, board members here will be honest and not steal tabs and what not.  It's the scalpers that I'm worried about who will do anything to load up on the GL figure (to put on ebay).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 5, 2006, 09:57 AM »
For the most part, board members here will be honest and not steal tabs and what not.  It's the scalpers that I'm worried about who will do anything to load up on the GL figure (to put on ebay).

Agreed.  I'll be checking for the integrity of the tape along the sides of the case.  If it's cut, I'm not buying the figure or will open to ensure that the correct tab is present. 

I'm likely after two of these as well, one to open and one carded.  I'd opt for more but I only really planned on buying multiples of the Biker/Tusken.  I'll buy two of each of the others as well though as these are one of the few items I keep carded because they do look so nice.  So I'm ok on the two George troopers I'll need, but extras will be tough because I'll be rather unwilling to build an army of Greedos :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 5, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I'm afraid of buying any of these figures in the stores after about the first 2-3 weeks. There are going to be armies of Luke, Han, and Greedo without tabs before this is over.

This sucks, because it will lead to fraud and frustration and it didn't need to be that way. Just make a good old mail away (POP and receipt for x figures) and be done with it. This galactic hunt crap is bs. The only winners will be those willing to screw others. This line is becoming a scalpers dream- buy the figures, return the figures, still get the mail away to scalp to the poor bastard who bought your tab-less figures.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 5, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Arrgh, does hasbro see what they have done???  :o

This is gonna be nuts...then again I dont live in the u.s and these things are exclusive to the u.s right?
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 5, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Arrgh, does hasbro see what they have done???  :o

This is gonna be nuts...then again I dont live in the u.s and these things are exclusive to the u.s right?

Like I'm going to try and do for Jeff, after I get my first set of these, I'll try and help you too.

That makes two people, probably the limit I can help on this.  I don't want to buy that many Hans and Greedos!

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #87 on: April 5, 2006, 11:27 PM »
I posted in the VTSC thread that the figures I found yesterday are heat sealed instead of taped, like the ones in the pics above. It was impossible to open the clamshell without major damage to it, and I don't see how anyone will be able to pull off the theft we've been hypothesising now. I guess that's the big plus.

The big minus is that there's no way to get into a second carded set, extract the POP labels, and close the clamshell again. So if someone like me that is loose and carded completist wants 2 Lucas figures, three sets are in order. That is lame beyond all belief.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 5, 2006, 11:59 PM »

Someone should send in an offer with all Biker Scout tabs, for example.  I'd bet they'd score a figure.

I might end up trying that in the end... I'm going to buy lots of Scouts if I can find them - and I need to come up with enough stuff for two of these Lucas figures somehow... one to open one to keep carded, yadda yadda yadda...

So, if anyone is buying the VTSC to open but doesn't care about the Lucas figure and wants to sell me their proofs of purchase for a reasonable price - let me know.   :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #89 on: April 6, 2006, 01:53 AM »
Well, I guess I'll be sticking with just getting one Lucas and keeping it carded. Thankfully it features that now-obsolete body, so it won't bug me.

I don't know what's worse with Hasbro exclusives- the $13 "premium" figures or the poorly executed mail-ins (this and the EB set.)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk