Author Topic: Please Clue in the Clueless...  (Read 2058 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Please Clue in the Clueless...
« on: May 27, 2003, 11:50 PM »
Ok, so Im flipping through the channels, and come to HBO. They are show "Da Ali G Show". First time I've ever seen it. Can someone clue me in on what is going on here? Im mainly speaking about the hosted parts, is this supposed to be a legit show, or is it all parody? I only watched about two minutes, and Im just thinking WTF?
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Please Clue in the Clueless...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 12:19 AM »
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.   :-\
dustrho

Offline jara19

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 12:39 AM »
It's a comedy. It stars a English comedian named Sacha Baron Cohen who playes the character , Ali G and a few others. He basically interviews people as these characters. It's a pretty funny show imo.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 10:05 AM »
So he plays all the characters in the show?

They had some sort of little marathon last night or something, and I ended up watching a few episodes. The show is pretty hilarious. I cant belive he manages to get some of the celebrities he does lol

Offline jara19

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 10:51 AM »
Yes he plays all 3 interviewers.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 11:01 AM »
Da Ali G Show is one of the funniest things I've seen on tv in a long time.  It's all parody, of course.  I think my favorite segment is "Borad's guide to America", where he plays a guy from Kazakhstan.  It's fish out of water stuff, but he says the most ridiculous things, and it's incredibly funny.  I hope HBO brings it back for another season.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 03:31 PM »
I ended up watching about 6 episodes last night. I thought it was dumb at first, but kept coming back for more.

There is some really hilarious stuff! When was talking to the chemist about different states of matter, he starts talking about thinking you have a gas state and it ends up being solid. "I had a little solid in my hillfigers". lmao! Im so suprised people play along with it as well as they do, but you can tell some folks get pretty ticked off. The Borads Guide to America, where he meets the historical actors "So you are a slave? Can I buy you? Do you like me? You made a time machine?" I was laughing so hard I couldnt take it

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 05:56 PM »
Yeah, there's a level of "dumb" to it at first, but when you realize what he's doing it's quite funny...

For instance when Ali's talking to the narcotics guy, who is trying to send his "Say No" message, but Ali keeps bringing up using drugs and how to do it without getting caught...

And I mean he has Newt Gingrich on for god's sake!  He doesn't get low level guests...  But, WTF were their publicist's thinking when "Da Ali G" show asked them to be on?

His round table discussions are great because they're just a 3-ring circus of him basically making fun of the guest's various views.  They don't get it and one even got up and stormed away from the set.

It's definately a funny show once you realize what's going on...  I too was confused at first.  I guess that guy's been around in GB for some time though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77