Author Topic: If You Only Collected One Thing...  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
If You Only Collected One Thing...
« on: August 5, 2006, 09:13 AM »
It seems like many of us here, probably most, collect something - maybe its Star Wars, maybe something else entirely, or maybe its several things.  Many of us here have been talking more and more about display space, collecting budget, and just overall general interest in the line(s).  It got me curious, with space becoming more and more of an issue for people - which line would you choose if you collected only one?  Would you stick with the Hasbro 3 3/4" line - and if so, just figures or everything relating to it?  Would you go for a "higher end" line like the new Sideshow 12" line, Master Replicas, or one of the others?  Would your collecting focus on something entirely outside of Star Wars?  I guess it comes down to where your greatest interest lies at this point.  You can approach it however you want - if you were starting from scratch, or if you had everything you currently do in your collection and you're starting from there.

For me, if I had what I already have (in storage or otherwise), I might still be tempted to pick up the Hasbro 3 3/4" line.  However, things have gotten more frustrating the past few years with so much stuff out there (much of it re-released) that I can see why people have lost some interest or become frustrated.  I also collect some comic-related stuff, and if I cut that back I'd focus on Spider-Man in particular.  But, there isn't a whole lot left to be made in some instances.  If I ventured outside of the Hasbro line, into something different, I could see going towards the Sideshow 12" line.  I have a couple preordered now, but I don't know that I can afford it all with my other collecting.  It would be a fun line to focus on though, as everything is very well made and the releases are somewhat limited throughout the year.  Plus, you wouldn't even have to leave your computer to collect it :P.  The replicas line has always interested me too, although I don't have any.  I could see having some in a "movie" room would be pretty neat too.  Anyways, where would your interest lie if you started fresh at this point in your life?

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: If You Only Collected One Thing...
« Reply #1 on: August 5, 2006, 09:22 AM »
If I had to choose one modern line to focus on, I guess it would be the 3-3/4" line.  They are the most economical for me to collect.  They're also essentially all I collect that is Star Wars related now, other than autographs.  And since I mostly have 3-3/4" carded figures autographed, it's a no-brainer.

On the other hand, if I had to focus my collecting on only one aspect of all Star Wars collectibles EVER, it would be rarer, higher-end and more esoteric items from the '70s and '80s, like the Sigma ceramic pieces, a ste of original, mint condition metal lunchboxes, etc.

And finally, if I had to choose only one thing, out of everything I collect, I'd probably have to go with original comic art & convention sketches.  I love collecting mass-produced memorabilia, but there is a special feeling that goes along with buying a long-sought-after, one-of-a-kind piece of art, or a sketch/painting that was done just for you.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2006, 11:12 AM »
At this point, I can't afford to collect anything... but for kicks I'll say I'd focus on Vintage - at least this where there'd be a finish line within sight, and it wouldn't be a never-ending slew of disapointments, as with the Modern stuff. I've always like the poster art, maybe I could get into that if I had more wall space...

Burger King glasses?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Burger King glasses?

As I said in another thread, my ROTJ BK glasses are my favorite pieces in my collection, and my goal is to eventually complete the full 12 glass set for the OT.  So, yeah, the BK glasses would be my way to go I think.

In terms of if I was just starting out and could only concentrate on one line (but would be able to get everything I missed for the last few years all at once), I might go with the Gentle Giant minibusts and/or the animated Clone Wars maquettes.  I collect 4" stuff almost exclusively, but if I was just starting out and could pick one area to concentrate on, I think the busts and maquettes would give me the best variety and character selection without being too bulky or occupying more space than I actually have.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2006, 11:45 AM »
If I could collect only one thing it would be $100 bills.  ;D

Seriously, If I had to drop it all and stick with one thing it would be Chewbacca memorabilia/figures. With SW, it's primarily all I collect right now but I do occasionally pick up a Stormtrooper or oddball SW collectable (like the Potato Heads). I'm also big on the SW Kubricks, but I could quit it if I had to considering it's the most wallet draining thing I collect...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2006, 12:13 PM »
VOTC Stormtroopers.  :-*

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Put me down for the Hasbro 3¾" action figures. Action figures are the root of all our Star Wars collecting. And they're small and affordable enough to pretty much collect the entire galaxy of characters. They've also finally reached a level of quality that's really exciting; the best of them anyway. High end stuff is out my budget. It would take up all the more space, too.

If I had to narrow it down further, I'd go with mostly OT; I'd cut way back on PT army stuff. I almost never buy a vehicle or playset, so those, too, would be out.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Star Wars Legos. There are only about 5-7 sets a year, and they all range in price from $1 to $100. I know I spend way more than that on Hasbro figures each year. Plus, it's always fun to just sit down and build the sets, it's really peaceful and helps to get your mind off things.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2006, 12:34 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 5, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I would have to say Gentle Giant. 

This would be based on the  assumption I started in the beginning.  Most of the early bust were pretty attainable back than.  All I would be spending is $40 every two months or so.  I'm sopending more than that on the Saga line each month.  Plus I doubt I would have the space issues I do now.  I could actually display my collectin intead of the majority of it being in boxes.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #9 on: August 5, 2006, 01:34 PM »
That is a really hard question.  I really enjoy the Sideshow line, Hasbro is where I started and some of the other things I collect on and off are definitely awesome (Koto comes to mind).  I think the answer is Gentle Giant as well, only because if I ever stopped collecting, I think I'd stop with all the toys first and end with the statues (which are most like art).
Got Clones?

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 5, 2006, 03:18 PM »
The SSC 12" figures.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Hmm.  Very interesting question.

I think I'm torn.  If I was to stop collecting everything but one line it's a toss-up between Hasbro 3.75" figures and, probably, GG items.

The action figures have always been the biggest draw for me so it would probably be them.  The arguement for GG is that there are a reasonable number of releases each year, they'd look great on display and you have the option of busts or some of the statues or Maquettes.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2006, 04:58 PM »
I'd probably collect vintage Masters of the Universe stuff since 3.75" has gotten huge and expensive. I could buy one or two carded figures every month for what I spend on this line, and most of it's sitting in boxes.  :-\

I suppose if I had the room to display it all or most of it properly, my answer would be different.

If I collected one line from Star Wars, it would be Sideshow's 12" line. Higher-end, but not too high-end that I can't afford it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 5, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Well right now I'm riding the SS 12 inch bandwagon.  So, I would go for that line at the moment. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 5, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Money.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...