Author Topic: Willrow Hood  (Read 399224 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Please Vote Willrow Hood
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 09:44 PM »
Besides the Clone Wars stuff, I think Hasbro's next baby steps into EU will be based on the games. The time for KOTOR or Republic Commando figures is now--Hasbro must strike while the iron's hot. Next will be the comics, which are likewise a visual medium and we're seeing that in a minor way with the SDCC Blackhole Stormtrooper.

While novel-based toys will be a lot harder--due to lack of visual reference material and the fact that everyone's mental pictures of the characters differs--I feel they could be done under the proper convergence of circumstances. For example, Hasbro missed what could have been a big opportunity by not producing NJO figures 5-6 years ago; now that the NJO's 15 minutes are over, we will see few, if any, toys from the series.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Again, my big point is that I'm guessing 20-25% of the market (that's being conservative) could give a rats ass about EU figures and won't buy them

While only 5-10% of people feel the same about not being a Movie Completist.  There is a certain group that will buy everything (myself probably included) but I see enough people bitching about not wanting EU that I can see why it hasn't been done more

Hell, even Clone Wars stuff sat and sat for months and was eventually clearanced

Willrow would be no different than any of them...again, it just shocks me that the EU did so well in this poll.  Maybe its because I'm used to this site where there seems to be older collectors who don't really care for the stuff

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 12:39 AM »
i totally disagree. Mr. Hood would be on the pegs forever, it would never sell with kids. Something like Bastala has recognition from games, or Padme from the movies or clones because theyre awesome, but...
-Dhivael

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 01:45 AM »
Again, my big point is that I'm guessing 20-25% of the market (that's being conservative) could give a rats ass about EU figures and won't buy them

While only 5-10% of people feel the same about not being a Movie Completist.  There is a certain group that will buy everything (myself probably included) but I see enough people bitching about not wanting EU that I can see why it hasn't been done more

Hell, even Clone Wars stuff sat and sat for months and was eventually clearanced

Willrow would be no different than any of them...again, it just shocks me that the EU did so well in this poll.  Maybe its because I'm used to this site where there seems to be older collectors who don't really care for the stuff

Clone Wars sat on the pegs? I'm not sure where you live, but here in So. Cal, it sold like bullsh*t at a Dr. Phil convention. Not even Yoda and Anakin warmed the pegs, and the Red Arc, Kit Fisto, Mace and the rest of the later waves didn't last a day on the shelves.

That being said, there is probably no figure on the list I wouldn't vote for BEFORE Willrow Hood. Some dude running in the background with an ice cream maker does not an interesting figure make. He's not a cool alien. He doesn't have an interesting outfit. He's just some dude in an orange brown jumpsuit that has even less recognition from fans than any EU character you could name. Hell, I'd vote for that damn green bunny rabbit before this guy. This guy on a peg would make Neimoidian Warrior look like Scorch.

I'm afraid my vote lies with Quinlan Vos, followed by Hermi Odle or any of the characters from KOTOR. (The Galactic Marine and Neyo are retarded, as let's face it...Hasbro is going to make those anyway.)

Willrow Hood. Isn't that Mando'a for "unsellable?"

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 04:38 AM »
I disagree on the sellability of Willrow Hood as, there's lots of dull stuff that's somehow popular despite not being aimed at the kiddies...

Honestly, what is aimed at kids sells like **** when kids aren't interested in the line.  That's been a fact with Star Wars since 1995.  For me, 2005 isn't going to fool me into thinking we should long for resculpt and repack upon resculpt and repack simply because "kids drive the line".  They're a factor, but it seems that once more the area I live in is back to 2004 where the only things selling are what collectors are buying and kids are either getting out of the line again or they're just having such an even harder time finding stuff (than we are) that they're losing interest somewhat at least.

Would Hood sell like he was goin' out of style though?  I doubt it, but the benefits he does have are customizing fodder at least.  Dull figures like Bo Shek moved quite nicely in my area though...  So have others, so there's possibilities for Hood to sell ok, plus he's got the movie people into him unlike EU who may not have anyone into them but a small handful... 

For me, my vote's with Katarn still, but my second choice is definitely Hood simply because he's a movie character.  There's other EU in there I like but Hasbro's gotta show me they're committing to some EU not just one-shots that you'll not have much to ever go with it.  Things like that make me question getting NJO figures or KOTOR figures...  I want them, but I want more than one from any given story/setting.   :-\

I'm all for oddball background humans once in a while though.  The line's missing Garrouf Lafoe and I'd say he's one of my top Cantina wants.  He's not really even a notch about Wilrow Hood though in any way, but I still want him as a figure for my Cantina.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 09:18 AM »
Oh I actually think Willrow would actually do about as well as Bo Shek.  The same people that went for him would go for Willrow.  Well maybe a bit less since he's not in a space suit for people to customize.  I think it would be a nice nod to the OT fans and/or online community really.  It would be fun IMO.  In all honesty though I can't see Hasbro ever making him.  Now if Lucas would insert a CGI alien head on Willrow then it might happen.  Maybe. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I think that Boshek is a bad comparison personally.  At least he had a removable helmet and was a pilot.  Pilots are more popular than normal citizen figures I think.  I think that ICMG would be about as popular as the EPI Valorum or the SAGA Imperial Dignitaries.

Most of the Clone Wars stuff sold well in my area.  Yoda was probably the biggest pegwarmer, but even the other Yodas warm pegs a lot.  The problem with this particular version of him was that it was pretty goofy.  Replace that Yoda with the Snowbunny Padme and you've got a hot seller.  I recall Ventress and Durge, the Clone (of course) and most of the others from that line doing very well.  They don't need to go on making whacky designs for the Jedi.  Honestly, I think that this Obi Wan they did was pretty goofy too -

Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I think that a custom I made of him like this would do pretty well -

Anyways, with the TV series scheduled for next year, I expect a large quantity of figures, maybe even another midnight madness event.  So all you EU bashers better have a few cold ones.   ;)

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I think this whole 'poll' idea sucks anyway-

My opinion? I believe Hasbro will look at the list, find a figure they were getting ready to make anyway-slip that info to toyfare so they can rig the poll to look like  #1 won ::). Hasblow's still gonna make the fig. they want anyway. I say screw em' and vote for ICMG anyhew even though he won't win.

Sometimes I realllyyy wonder though at how many intelligent folks exist in our hobby when I see a list like this with all the several figures in there that where going to be produced eventually anyway :P. It's almost as if they're saying ' I know this will be made under the Hasbrow extended contract but I want it now'.

I say vote for ICMG- he really never had a chance at all to be made.

BTW- the Clone Wars first wave really pegwarmed in my area..in a county of over a million folks, then I moved and in a county of over 5 million people it pegwarmed here too. Seemed like Annakin, Obi-won, Yoda, and assaj were the worst. I even found a red arc trooper in the middle of the day and saw 2 more but left them. The second wave with kit, tinn, and clone were much harder to find though.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I voted for Ice Cream Man just for you. Now if they make him, you need to buy one and mail it to me. It's only fair.   ;)  If he wins though, he'll need his truck, or speeder, or whatever. Hope he wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I signed the ICMG Petition many years ago, so ICMG has my vote... and everyone else's vote who owes me a favor.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 10:28 PM »
Have any of the previous fan choice figures warmed the pegs?  The only one that I saw more than a few times was Duros, which I liked a lot.

Regardless of the figure, I do not believe it will peg warm.  Nowadays not even crappy repacks like skiff guards :-X warm the pegs too long.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 10:34 PM »
Duros/Ellors Madak might still be available up here, so yeah, I'd call that peg warming.  I believe Amanaman clearanced as well in the US (never made it up here).  Ephant Mon was probably closer to the proper production numbers when all was said and done.  Who was #4?  Dodonna/Antilles?  They sold more slowly, but never clearanced as far as I know. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2006, 01:09 AM »
Why is Willrow Hood getting a sticky?

Can Quinlan Vos please get a sticky?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2006, 01:36 AM »
Well, first because Scott's as good as staff and can do what he wants for the most part, but second because the petition for Wilrow Hood the ICMG has been on the front page of JediDefender.com as long as I can remember and have been coming here routinely too so it's part of our site's affiliation to.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2006, 02:52 AM »
Thank god for this sticky thread. I voted for ICMG.

And I remember all of the first CW figures warming SoCal pegs in many LA and Santa Clarita stores. The second wave was readily available and would were well on their way to stagnating if the line didn't run its course as quickly as it did. I'd know I missed SA Clones because of the bountiful fields of SaeSee and Half Naked Kit Fisto.