Author Topic: Willrow Hood  (Read 399198 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Please Vote Willrow Hood
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I wish I had the time to read through this entire thread, but I've read most of it.  I don't like seeing good members here at each other's throats about a figure like this being made.  To some people ICMG would be a really nice addition to the line, to others it wouldn't.  I think that if it were made, the appeal of it would die down very quickly after it was made... but that's my opinion so nobody please get mad at me for stating it. 

I will say this though, if they do make it, he would need to be SA in every possible joint or there would be some pissed off people.  I just remember though, weren't essentially Antilles and Dodonna Fans Choice figures too?  They were solid pegwarmers from what I saw.  But there are going to be pegwarmers no matter what I supposed, but on this new packaging it seems the appeal is there to buy more stuff than ever.

I saw just make the figure in a Screen Scene or something, or even as an online exclusive like Oola was.  Or even in a regular assortment, I don't care.  I can just think of a lot more characters I'd rather see made, including repacks and rehashes.

:P

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Wow-

I hadn't dropped in on this thread in some time. It looks like everyone needs to take a breath, and relax. Every single one of these things is a small plastic toy. All fans choice figures except Ephant have sat on the shelves. And even he showed up at KB on clearance, and can still be had for quite a cheap price on the secondary market.
I agree with Chewie, if ICMG gets the nod, it should be super articulated, and I would like to see it packed with an ugnaught to help it move. Most, if not all, of those characters in the top 25 will see plastic before 2018 or whenever the license ends. It's just a matter of when.
There is simply no right or wrong on an issue like this, and nobody should behave as if there is.

So I say to Hasbro, give me ICMG, or give me... well anything really, I can't find any action figure products in the stores.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Wow-
All fans choice figures except Ephant have sat on the shelves.

The McQuarrie Trooper never sat either.  I only saw one of those at retail. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2006, 10:53 AM »
That McQuarrie Stormtrooper was so underproduced IMO.

And yeah, like Bob Dylan SW fan said, packing in an Ugnaught with ICMG would be a wise move... or even a busted up IG droid.

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2006, 11:11 AM »
According to what I read... that IS actually THE disintegrated IG88 droid that Boba took out moments before the rebels arrived/ambush began.

A pack-in would be a great idea; like was mentioned before..1 to a case would make alot of folks pissed but they wouldn't have to worry about it not selling..especially when you consider how many saga cases are distributing now.
The difference between a possile ICMG and Mcquarrie stormy/E. Mon is that those saga cases came out in higher volume AND the figures(mentioned) were more desirable. If done now this figure would NOT be as desirable BUT.. if one to a case...would not likely pegwarm with the lower volume of cases shipping. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2006, 11:25 AM »
I think that if it were made, the appeal of it would die down very quickly after it was made... 

I think that this statement applies to about, oh 17 of the figures on the "fan choice" list.

Let's be honest. 

- There are two figures that will sell no matter what:  Maul and Luke
- There are two figures that will be smash hits with Collectors:  Galactic Marine and Neyo
- There are two long-requested OT figures: Yarna and Hermi
- There are two long requested EU figures - Snowbunny Padme and Quinlon Vos

Other than those 8, everything else has some kind of strike against it - it's EU or it's a female character or it's a background character, etc etc etc.  

Does that mean Hasbro should never make those other 17 choices?  Of course not.  They just need to be careful about how they make them so they don't peg-warm.  There is always a reason why something peg-warms.  Over production, lack of desire for the figure, price.

People mention Ellors Madak as a peg-warmer?  The problem = he shipped at 3x per case.
People mention Amanaman as a peg-warmer?  The problem = he cost $10 bucks!

There is always a solution to prevent something from peg-warming.  In this case, all Hasbro has to do is keep the winner at a basic figure cost, pack them 1x per case in an assortment where they make sense and there should be no peg-warming problem for any of the figures.

I think that if Willrow Hood wins, there are plenty of ways to keep him from peg-warming and plenty of ways to keep him intersting.  For example, I'd love a Bespin Wave that looked like this:

2x Bespin Han Solo - NEW
2x Bespin Luke - NEW
2x Bespin Guard (Black) - NEW
1x Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Guy) - NEW
2x vOTC Stormtrooper - repack
1x Lando Calrissian - repack
1x Cloud Car Pilot - repack
1x Princess Leia (Bespin) - repack

That fits the 6-8 figures in a wave; half new, half repack idea.  I don't see any problems with that and I don't think ICMG would pegwarm any more than Barada or Rieekan did.  He fits nicely into this wave/theme.

That is my #1 problem with all the EU figures on the list.  How can you construct a nice assortment for them to fit in?  I just gave an example of the perfect fit for ICMG so that he doesn't peg-warm.  Can the same be said for some of the other 17 figures? 

Where would you stick an HK-47?  Where would you stick a Bastilla Shan?  It's much easier and makes much more sense in my opinion to do a whole wave of KOTOR figures for that reason instead of just picking one out of the list and sticking it in an assortment. 

Same goes for the NJO figures on the list.  It's got to be much easier for Hasbro to just do a whole wave of NJO figures and include all of them - Anakin, Jaina, Jacen, Non, Mara, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Nice post...

Way to put thing in perspective. You should work for the Big H. ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2006, 12:29 PM »
I think that if it were made, the appeal of it would die down very quickly after it was made... 

I think that this statement applies to about, oh 17 of the figures on the "fan choice" list.

Let's be honest. 

- There are two figures that will sell no matter what:  Maul and Luke
- There are two figures that will be smash hits with Collectors:  Galactic Marine and Neyo
- There are two long-requested OT figures: Yarna and Hermi
- There are two long requested EU figures - Snowbunny Padme and Quinlon Vos

Other than those 8, everything else has some kind of strike against it - it's EU or it's a female character or it's a background character, etc etc etc.  

As far as sales go based on that list, what will sell is one of the following figures:
3. Clone Commander (Galactic Marine pictured)
4. Commander Neyo
7. Darth Maul
11. Hermi Odle
17. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)
20. Padme Amidala (snowsuit)
23. Quinlan Vos
25. Yarna D'al Gargan

Oh sure, and Jeff's the genius here >:( ;)

Otherwise yeah, I entirely agree with Jeff. 

My biggest issue is with people casting votes for something that's going to see the light of day, regardless of whether it is deemed a fan choice or not.  I think that's a waste.  I really want Yarna, Hermi, Padme(s), clones and hell, I'll even buy another Maul if it's well done.  But those will all be made if this poll was never taken.  Hasbro does pay attention, they just take a while deciding to give us what we want, so we buy more crap along the way. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2006, 01:12 PM »
My biggest issue is with people casting votes for something that's going to see the light of day, regardless of whether it is deemed a fan choice or not.  I think that's a waste.  I really want Yarna, Hermi, 

I certainly agree with making your vote count, but do you really think Hasbro has always planned to make Yarna and Hermi?  I know they've made tons of background characters in the past, but I don't consider much a "sure thing" with Hasbro (well, except maybe Clones).

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2006, 02:25 PM »
I believe it's clear that I likened this thread to Nazi Germany, not JD in general. And the smiley face afterward is meant to indicate tongue in cheek hyperbole.  ;D

I just basically skimmed the latest responses...I'm in the middle of a deadline so I don't have time for a blow by blow analysis...but I'll try to make peace with the ICMG boosters here. I will concede even I, who have no interest in this figure, would be more inclined to buy it if Hasbro included a pack-in like a new Ugnaught sculpt.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2006, 02:35 PM »
I certainly agree with making your vote count, but do you really think Hasbro has always planned to make Yarna and Hermi?  I know they've made tons of background characters in the past, but I don't consider much a "sure thing" with Hasbro (well, except maybe Clones).

Maybe not prior to the latest poll, no.  But now that they've made it to the top 25 I consider them to be absolutely made within two years.  Why?  They've now obtained an opinion on what OT figures people really want to see.  That's probably the most disturbing aspect of the poll result for me is that there is so little OT on there.  You can take it as a positive, in that much of what we could ever want has already been made.  You can take it as a negative, there won't be much in the way of OT figures coming in the future because there's relatively little demand.  

I see just about any OT figure on that list coming in future.

I see another wave of Clone Wars cartoon figures coming to accomodate Padme.

I see a new TPM wave coming to accomodate another Padme, Maul and possibly Vos as an EU-PT kind of thing.  

I see a wave or two with at least partial EU figure sets coming, possibly mixed with either PT or OT figures.  

Hasbro seems to like themed waves now and they seem to sell well, so why not stick with it?

I'm still of the opinion that we're heading towards a bit of the end for this line overall.  I think that's part of the reason for such a hard and fast push of product in early '06, to capitalize on the popularity hangover from the last movie.  

I don't expect great things out of the tv show(s), animation or tv movies or whatever else is planned.  I hope they're really well done, but I see Ewok Adventures and Droids all over again.  And you saw how many figures we got from that.  I do think Hasbro would like to keep the line popular until 2018, I just don't think interest will be held that long, short of a new set of movies coming.  Is that good or bad?  Both, I suppose, but it will depend on each persons opinion.  I was saddened when WOS ended, but now that that line is gone, I'm not really too depressed about it.  I'd have loved more Homer figures, but oh well.  Same for Star Wars.  There's not that many new figures I really have dreams about getting, nothing I MUST have.  Yeah there's stuff I want, but there's other toy lines, Star Wars or otherwise to spend my money on.  It's not THAT big of a deal to me.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:37 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2006, 03:38 PM »
I believe it's clear that I likened this thread to Nazi Germany, not JD in general. And the smiley face afterward is meant to indicate tongue in cheek hyperbole.  ;D

I just basically skimmed the latest responses...I'm in the middle of a deadline so I don't have time for a blow by blow analysis...but I'll try to make peace with the ICMG boosters here. I will concede even I, who have no interest in this figure, would be more inclined to buy it if Hasbro included a pack-in like a new Ugnaught sculpt.

I'll admit that I don't fully understand the mentality here.  It'd be like going into a "Motley Crue rules!" thread, saying "Motley Crue sucks!" and then wondering why everyone jumped your **** afterward.  And yeah, it's a discussion forum, sure, you have the right to, but there's also another, separate, general Fan's Choice thread, too, where you can talk up or talk down any character you want.  But to go into a pro-character thread, and then proceed to bash the hell out of that character--it just smacks of trolling to me. 

Hate on Willrow all you must, I say--but do it somewhere else.  Let the rest of us enjoy our little ICMG circle jerk while it lasts.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2006, 04:10 PM »
I think we are creating a debate which should be consitered.
-Dhivael

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2006, 04:46 PM »

I'll admit that I don't fully understand the mentality here.  It'd be like going into a "Motley Crue rules!" thread, saying "Motley Crue sucks!" and then wondering why everyone jumped your **** afterward.  And yeah, it's a discussion forum, sure, you have the right to, but there's also another, separate, general Fan's Choice thread, too, where you can talk up or talk down any character you want.  But to go into a pro-character thread, and then proceed to bash the hell out of that character--it just smacks of trolling to me. 

Hate on Willrow all you must, I say--but do it somewhere else.  Let the rest of us enjoy our little ICMG circle jerk while it lasts.

Yep, well said..smells like a troll..must be a troll. If you go into a 'please vote for willrow hood' thread and bash it then it appears you're here to cause trouble..and this applies to those who are bashing..where the bashing should go in another thread. If you bash here your in the wrong thread. This is a PRO thread obviously.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Darth Delicious, I expected better of you than to liken anything ABOUT this place to Nazi Germany. I'm dissapointed in your form. >:(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...