Author Topic: Willrow Hood  (Read 399194 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Willrow Hood
« Reply #375 on: September 12, 2007, 06:18 PM »
Now, now ... no need to be obscene. I know him a little bit and he's a decent chap. However, I do wish he had incorporated the ice cream maker instead of making it a computer core.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2007, 01:04 AM »
Everything about that write-up is what's wrong with people making up backstory's for every character.  It truly ruins things a little when EVERYONE had some major role to play in the galaxy, don't ya think?  Pretty meh, but hey...  A backstory on sw.com (regardless of quality) probably makes him that much closer to a figure.

In my little Star Wars world though, not everyone is force sensitive...  not everyone is a Jedi.  Not everyone saves the galaxy.  Not everyone is involved in the war.  Not everyone is somehow related to a main character from the films.  Not everyone is important...

Some guys just run out of Bespin hauling ass with anything they could pilfer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2007, 01:23 AM »
In my little Star Wars world though, not everyone is force sensitive...  not everyone is a Jedi.  Not everyone saves the galaxy.  Not everyone is involved in the war.  Not everyone is somehow related to a main character from the films.  Not everyone is important...

Exactly.  That's why I like making photonovels so much.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2007, 02:52 AM »
Everything about that write-up is what's wrong with people making up backstory's for every character.  It truly ruins things a little when EVERYONE had some major role to play in the galaxy, don't ya think?  Pretty meh, but hey...  A backstory on sw.com (regardless of quality) probably makes him that much closer to a figure.

Some guys just run out of Bespin hauling ass with anything they could pilfer.

Actually, I totally agree. The problem is that a "realistic" backstory is probably seen as "boring"....
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I just read this 'backstory' today and I think it's pretty lame. I still prefer Scott's story. Although it's pretty unlikely at this point, I'd much rather see Scott's story on the cardback because it was really Scott who got ICMG this far.

What a bummer.  :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #380 on: September 13, 2007, 12:04 PM »
I think LFL is attempting to "erase" Scott... first the ICMG background and next?  Who knows?

Be careful out there man...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2007, 02:17 PM »

Actually, I totally agree. The problem is that a "realistic" backstory is probably seen as "boring"....

Every reason NOT to make the backstory then...  Sometimes, you just need to list it out as, "Wilrow Hood was one of many citizens living and working in Bespin's 'Cloud City'.  Like many others, the news of the Empire setting martial law on the city prompted him to go into a panic and attempt to escape."

The Databank on SW.com can be complete with entries like that. You could list every character seen, and not all of them need a heroic background regardless of how boring it may be.  It's not like anyone's needing prompted to read it afterall, as it's free.  EU really eats it sometimes.

And this is coming from someone who actually likes EU...  I just tend to ignore the constant bull**** like this that comes up in it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 13, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Every reason NOT to make the backstory then...  Sometimes, you just need to list it out as, "Wilrow Hood was one of many citizens living and working in Bespin's 'Cloud City'.  Like many others, the news of the Empire setting martial law on the city prompted him to go into a panic and attempt to escape."

The Databank on SW.com can be complete with entries like that. You could list every character seen, and not all of them need a heroic background regardless of how boring it may be.  It's not like anyone's needing prompted to read it afterall, as it's free.  EU really eats it sometimes.

+1

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2007, 09:16 PM »

And this is coming from someone who actually likes EU...  I just tend to ignore the constant ******** like this that comes up in it.

Well said, I totally agree.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 14, 2007, 10:50 AM »
Plus the fact that their bios are only listed in the EU and nothing for "Movie". Jesse, yours is a perfect example of what the movie one should be:

"Wilrow Hood was one of many citizens living and working in Bespin's 'Cloud City'.  Like many others, the news of the Empire setting martial law on the city prompted him to go into a panic and attempt to escape."

Or Character X was last seen in Jabba's Palace during Luke Skywalker's infamous visit to rescue his friend, Han Solo, from the Hutt's vile clutches. Presumably died during the "Battle" of Carkoon.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 14, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Or Character X was last seen in Jabba's Palace during Luke Skywalker's infamous visit to rescue his friend, Han Solo, from the Hutt's vile clutches. Presumably died during the "Battle" of Carkoon.

Rather than:

Character X was an undercover Rebel agent working as a skiff guard in Jabba's palace, trying to prevent a secret operation by a group of skiff guards smuggling tibanna gas to the Empire.

After assisting Luke Skywalker at the famous Battle of Carkoon, Character X led a snowspeeder patrol on the Endor moon, looking for the shield generator. After Character X spotted the generator, he alerted General Solo. If it weren't for him, Solo's strike team would never have found the shield generator and the Rebels would have failed at Endor. For his efforts, Character X was awarded the Kenobi Medallion by Mon Mothma, who was later revealed to be his twin sister.

Shortly before the Yuzzhan Vong invasion, Character X passed away peacefully in his sleep, but his spirit will live on.

:P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 14, 2007, 08:17 PM »

Rather than:

Character X was an undercover Rebel agent working as a skiff guard in Jabba's palace, trying to prevent a secret operation by a group of skiff guards smuggling tibanna gas to the Empire.

After assisting Luke Skywalker at the famous Battle of Carkoon, Character X led a snowspeeder patrol on the Endor moon, looking for the shield generator. After Character X spotted the generator, he alerted General Solo. If it weren't for him, Solo's strike team would never have found the shield generator and the Rebels would have failed at Endor. For his efforts, Character X was awarded the Kenobi Medallion by Mon Mothma, who was later revealed to be his twin sister.

Shortly before the Yuzzhan Vong invasion, Character X passed away peacefully in his sleep, but his spirit will live on.

:P

Was this ever stated somewhere that the same actor played the ICMG and Skiff Guard in question? I don't see ICMG working for Jabba the Hutt at all in any sense. I don't really care for the back story on StarWars.com too, as I agree with Jesse and his simple story. Not every character in Star Wars needs to be Heroes. Really there needs to be the simple people to protect or the story gets to lame. Look at it as if super heroes and everybody as has special powers and such in those stories it would not be any fun as there is no one to put into harms way for the hero to save, etc. About the only thing I care for is the computer core thing, but I do understand why a few don't care for that as it's an ice cream maker, but that never sat with me in the Star Wars world.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #387 on: September 15, 2007, 02:39 AM »
What, in your world nobody's allowed ice cream?  You commie.  >:( 

;)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 15, 2007, 11:57 AM »
What, in your world nobody's allowed ice cream?  You commie.  >:( 

;)

Okay, like that ;D. Not so much that don't allow ice cream, but I think it needs a more Star Warsy name before I would allow a character to be "ice cream man"  ;).
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 15, 2007, 12:05 PM »

I'm planning on inviting Scott over to my house for a Willrow themed sleep-over party...

PM me for the mailing address that I want my invite sent to.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda