Author Topic: New JD Review: Sandtrooper  (Read 16648 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Sandtrooper
« on: August 9, 2006, 05:04 AM »
Yes, it's time for your faithful bitcher to gush with joy at something Hasbro made...  for once.

Clicky Button, Ready Review

This week I'm looking at the Imperial Sandtrooper from the "Tatooine Wave", as it may be the single best army builder of 2006...  It has it all and then some, and fans of the classic films can rejoice that they're not buying a ROTS Clone.

The figure comes out swinging as it's something a bit more than a simple resculpt...  Hasbro ups the anty on a figure you paid $10 for in 2004, by giving him...  well, more ****.

The VOTC Stormtrooper got a little retooling here and there for holding his gear on his person, and what a pile of gear he has.  The accessories alone are a massive improvement and for less money than you paid for this figure the first time.  That's nice.

The sculpt is great, the articulation better...  It's fantastic to pose, and the black pauldron means you can build a hefty army of Stormtrooper grunts for your field forces. 

Read the full review...  It's mostly praise but I do cite the flaws when I see them, same as always, so just check it out and see what you think...  I'm up to like 20 of this figure already if not more.  I love it. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: New JD Review: Sandtrooper
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Great review as always Jesse.  Too bad Hasbro can not consistently bring figures of this calibre....but then you'd be out of a job.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:02 PM »
I can find fault with anything...  My motto is Hasbro's never made a perfect figure and they never will.  ON the Sandtrooper his pack falls off easily, the holster could've been retooled to be a LOT better than it is, etc...  There's always flaws to point out so I think I'll always have a job.

I much prefer the love-fest reviews like the Sandtrooper here over reviewing a figure like Momaw Nadon and his lack of basically anything and everything positive aside from sculpt and paint.  If I wanted to review that stuff I'd be buying and reviewing GG Busts.

For me, if Hasbro made the 2004/05 Cantina Wave the line "standard", I'd be content for the most part.  Those were the single best figuresin one wave that the line has ever seen I think...  Not VOTC quality but close, and even though they were distributed quite well they flew off the pegs...  Flash forward to Tatooine Wave now and they're not moving as fast.

I think figure quality, including articulation in a major way, has a direct impact on sales...  Bacara sat, Clone Commander #33 flew off the pegs and wasn't even in the film...  Why?  Hasbro really needs to think about these things I believe...  Had Derlin had good leg articulation would he have sat?  What about Carkoon Han if he'd had knee joints?  I dunno...  I'd have bought more of each personally had they been better articulated.  As it was, I only got extras at sale prices.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Couldn't agree more about this figure. Despite the minor annoyances, it still rocks. The only two improvements I would make are ball jointed hips and a DS Gunner like holster.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 01:31 AM »
A nice review Jesse :)

Something I find irritating is the paint apps on his back. Jesse, look at your photo of the sandie that has a front and back shot. Where's the dirt  on his backside?! What, is HAsbro trying to say that Sandies our supreme troops and are never 'on their ass'? It's really strange the amount of cleanliness from the back view. An argument about the backpack preventing dirt would be crap too. You know tatooine sand 'gets everywhere' as Annakin put it. Geez, kinda white on the back of his legs too...I guess when they walk the dust only kicks up on the front side ::).

Well, I guess it's the only thing I could complain about on the stormie :-\

The Ds

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:49 PM »
I'm trying to think if you ever get a good look at the BACK of a Sandtrooper in ANH...  I can't think of one off-hand.  They may not be dirty on the backside in the film though...  Not sure.

I think Hasbro maybe also was going for a "regular" Trooper look too incase you wanted maybe just a trooper who didn't clean his gear often?  Just a possibility.  Making a toy more diverse can make it more appealing.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:43 AM »
The only two improvements I would make are ball jointed hips and a DS Gunner like holster.

Agreed.  Ball jointed hips would have been perfect for this figure.  Especially in light of the inclusion of the staff/prod accessory that got included with this Sandtrooper.  That accessory implies that this Sandy rides a dewback, and as such the figure should be able to sit on Hasbro's POTF2 Dewback.  But it can't, and in that regard I find this one fault with the figure.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:26 AM »
I think ball/socket hips are a great idea as well, and you're right too Nick that it would've been a cool feature so a trooper could actually mount the Dewback and look right.  As it stands the POTF2 sculpt is all we've got to contend with for that...

I'm not sure the deal with the prod/staff though.  It definitely resembles the Dewback staff but the actual staff from the film is longer and the POTF2 one is more accurate for the troopers riding the Dewback...  So I'm just not sure what Hasbro's deal was with the new one.  It's a neat accessory but almost appeared to me like a crowd control stick or some such.  It's not film accurate though so it's kind of odd.  I found it strange we even got it in the first place.

The Sandtrooper getting some new legs and re-released on a Dewback would be a welcome addition though.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Great review and a nice figure too. As long as they find ways to release the VOTC sculpt stormie, I'm not going to complain too much about the hips. I wish the shoes didn't look completely clean while his legs managed to get dirty, but that's nitpicking.
I do hope retail eventually allows Hasbro to make a new beast assortment, and that they don't re-use the POTF2 dewback.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 02:23 AM »
That was one of my faviorite on the most coolest fig well almost coolest fig in th saga ;)
Momar and Fester

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Someone pointed something out to me that's mildly annoying about the sandtrooper. If you take the paldrun off to use him as a regular stormtrooper, he's a tad shorter than the VOTC stormtrooper.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Still haven't seenone.  :'(
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Still haven't seenone.  :'(

How is that possible?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 02:31 AM »
Hell he's still shipping as near as I can tell.  WM gets in 2 or 4 every whipstitch around me...

About the Pauldron, I'm not sure what you mean Anton...  How does taking the Pauldron off make him shorter than the VOTC figure?  Can you snap a photo comparing them perhaps?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Photo's are a problem right now, but if you stand the two side by side, you should see the difference.