Author Topic: "Back to School" still gives me the creeps!  (Read 8711 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
"Back to School" still gives me the creeps!
« on: August 12, 2006, 03:13 AM »
Whenever this time of year rolls around and all the "Back to School" sales, ads, mentions, etc. start popping up everywhere, I still get the willies.  There's no worse phrase in the English language than those three words, I think.  Always makes me think back to the depression all of my friends and I would go through when we started realizing our summer vacations were over, and it was time to get back to our boring books and tedious studying (elementary school all the way up through college).  School obviously doesn't really affect my life at all anymore, but that phrase just makes my skin crawl still.  I suppose it's kinda like that ex-girl (or boy) friend that you had a real nasty split with, and the bitter taste never really goes away entirely after all those years. 

I know that phrase actually still applies to some of our members here as well, so how do you guys feel when you start seeing that crap popping up in August (or even late July) each year?  Bummed, or excited to hit the books again?  Or maybe just excited to get back to the socializing aspect that comes with being back in school?  That was really the only redeeming quality for that phrase for me back in the day...

Any other old-timers still get the creeps from hearing "Back to School", or is this something I should just seek professional counseling on...?  :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: "Back to School" still gives me the creeps!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:23 AM »
Any other old-timers still get the creeps from hearing "Back to School", or is this something I should just seek professional counseling on...?  :P

Nope, doesn't bother this old fart one bit!  :P

My partner at work took the week off just to shop for school supplies & clothes for her 2 boys, great way to spend your vacation.  :-\

I heard on the radio that back to school shopping is right at the top for the most stressful thing, more than being stuck in traffic, moving etc...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 04:00 AM »
I know that phrase actually still applies to some of our members here as well, so how do you guys feel when you start seeing that crap popping up in August (or even late July) each year?

As one of those members that it still applies to I can totally sympathize. Evertime I hear those three words a chill runs down my spine. Every year the commercials seem to air earlier and earlier in the year. It doesn't help that summers seem to go by faster as well. I've been moving in to my appartment the past few days and have to come to realize summer is already over. Sure it'll be nice to be on my own again and see all my friends, but now instead of earning money I get to spend thousands of dollars to do the same ammount of work I'd been doing over the summer.

I heard on the radio that back to school shopping is right at the top for the most stressful thing, more than being stuck in traffic, moving etc...

Ayup.
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:37 AM »
The only thing that bothers me really is the fact all the stores put up their back to school areas seemingly 2 weeks after summer starts. I mean come on I know retail is always like 3 months ahead for seasonal stuff but that just ridiculous.

They should just keep everything up all year long the way they do it now.  :-\

Oh and I really wanna punch that guy from the Staples/OfficeMax back to school commercial dancing around the store while the kids are pissed off. Jackass, if you hate your kids so much you shouldn't have gotten your wife knocked up. But thats a whole other story.  :)
I remember my dream now.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:48 AM »
(Having just started school on Thursday, I felt it was appropriate for me to add my $0.02 in.)

JediMac, I believe it was, mentioned the socializing aspects of returning to school being the only benefit of said return. To that point, I couldn't agree more! Over the summer, you tend to loose contact with those who aren't in your core-friend's circle, an unfortunate happening as loosing contact with some folks 'round here is tantamount to treason, or worse.

Aside from seeing and making friends during the school year, I find the entire process to be more than somewhat tiresome and, generally speaking, ill-planned. Most events and assignments seem rushed on the classic calendar that my (read: infamously inept) district employs, and I would like to think that one day South Carolina would expirament with all-year school...or at the very least, tinker with the Calendar so that it's not so confusing.

I do enjoy school though, perception presented in this thread notwithstanding. It's an honorable institution with noble roots, it's just ashame that our educational system (in South Carolina and the rest of the US, for the matter) is so mis-managed.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Part of me wishes I could be still living the College life over "the real world"...the sleeping in, the no bills, the parties etc.  That is the only thign I miss about school

My wife being a teacher has been getting lots and lots of razzing from yours truly about going back to school in a few weeks.  She's none too excited to go back

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 11:20 AM »
I love it, because it means all those annoying little brats won't be making a bunch of noise in the movie theaters on Tuesday nights for a few months.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Yes, I used to hate seeing the Back to School ads back in the day.  But then they started putting those banners up in the beginning of July it seemed like towards the end of my high school days.  Then it was not so bad because at least I knew there was still at least half the summer to go. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 12:53 PM »
I know that phrase actually still applies to some of our members here as well, so how do you guys feel when you start seeing that crap popping up in August (or even late July) each year?

Uh, our local stores start putting out school supplies around the 4th of July. Even though the 4th is usually the halfway point of the summer, it still feels like it's almost over.

I usually dred this time of year, though like Vator, look forward to resociallizing with friends. This year though, I'm excited to go back, as I'll be a senior. Getting out earlier (would be even earlier than I already am if our schools could come up with a decent schedule  ::)), partying, and all that other stuff seniors do, I'm looking forward to it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Yeah, you guys are right.  This has been grinding on my brain for over a month now, since I actually started seeing and hearing all the "Back to School" crap as soon as 4th of July was over (brainfart on my 'late July' blurb there).  It's pretty much identical to how the Christmas stuff has been appearing earlier and earlier every single year, to the point where it's hitting stores in September now.  Ridiculous!

But yes, what I wouldn't give to go back to any year of school just for another day or two, to hang out with old friends.  Ahhhh, the memories...

Ironically, I was actually thinking about taking a night course or two at our local Community College to get a general overview of a new professional industry that I'm thinking about switching gears into.  Ugh, I may be going "back to school" myself soon!  :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 02:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 03:29 PM »
This reminds me.  I've got to get my classes registered.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 03:47 PM »
Right now, I'm in a very unique situation.  Next week, I am starting a new career as a High School teacher.  I have been working as a children's book illustrator and writer since 1994, and I have made a good living at it.  (I bought a house and what-not) but the writing and drawing is very unsteady.  Now that I have two kids and a wife, I want my income to be steady (and have a pension and all that crap) so I stepped up and got my teaching license and I am a year away from my Master's degree.

So "back to school" has a huge role in my life right now. I'm very excited, I'll be teaching art in NYC, and I'll still be doing one book a year.

Proir to this career change, the phrase "back to school" would send shivers down my spine.  I can honesly say that I hated everyday of school from 5th grade to 11th grade.  In 12th grade I went to a vocational school art program that I loved.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 08:35 AM »
Good luck starting off in high school.  Teaching is more demanding than anyone will ever know that hasn't done it before, but it's also well worth it.

As for me, "back to school" this year has been something I've been dreading.  I've had a busy summer dealing with the passing of my father in law and purchasing a home, so I haven't really had a chance to rest from last year. I also transferred from one school district to another so I've had to move all my classroom stuff.

Teachers went back to work in my district on Monday, and many went back on the 27th of July if they were elementary or new teachers.  Lucky for me, I've got some expirience and was able to miss out on most everything the new teachers did.

However, I'm getting more in the groove and ready for a new year of challenges.  I really like the place that I transferred to and it is a more upbeat and less stressful school that where I was before.  So, I'm having mixed feelings about school starting back.  I'm excited for the new kids, but also still a bit worn out from a summer that didn't last very long.

Next year though, Texas teachers will have until about the third week of August for vacation with the new legislation saying kids can't come back until the 4th Monday of August.  Woohoo!!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JeffGlow

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 11:09 AM »
I kinda like the "Back to School" ads and season in general because it means my favorite season, autumn, is just around the corner. I do agree that the ads seem to be coming out earlier and earlier, I saw back to school ads right around 4th of July which just seems WAY too early.

It's pretty much identical to how the Christmas stuff has been appearing earlier and earlier every single year, to the point where it's hitting stores in September now.  Ridiculous!

I saw Halloween stuff at my local grocery store back in the middle of July!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 11:30 AM »
I saw Halloween stuff at my local grocery store back in the middle of July!

I went to Costco a week ago and they already had Christmas stuff out.  Not a lot, but they had paper plates and napkins and crap.

This was in the first week of August.  Over FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS from Christmas.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 01:48 PM by Rob »