Author Topic: Prototypes  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Prototypes
« on: May 29, 2003, 11:13 AM »
I'm not into these at all but a lot of the Asian eBayers seem to have serious connections at the factory or know places that do good fakes cause they always have a ton...

Anyone collect them?

I saw this auction for a Prototype Jorg Sacul this morning

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=3133142544

I would guess it will go for big bucks...we shall see

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Prototypes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 11:20 AM »
There have been alot of Prototypes on eBay in the past couple of months. I have seen lots of Saga stuff.
I do remember seeing a Sacul Prototype awhile back but I can't remember what it went for.

I would sure like to get a Saga Proto for my collection.  8)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 11:37 AM »
That is so awesome!!!  I don't own any prototypes, but that would be one that I'd love to add to my collection.  I love the almost-clear helmet he's wearing.
dustrho

Jango Fettish

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 11:57 AM »
It's iffy. They didn't show the back of the leg or the feet, where the copyrights would/would not be.

Or the pegholes..

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 12:04 PM »
There are a few different Star Wars Prototyes on eBay.
eBay Star Wars Prototype

There are also quite a few in the completed section of eBay. Just type in Star Wars Prototype.  8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 12:19 PM »
I would not mind owning a vintage prototype of anything really.  However, I don't have the money to spend on it and would not have the slightest idea how to determine if it's legit.  So, most likely I will never own one.  Plus, I really just want to have the finished product.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 12:22 PM »
That is what I would be scared of...who knows if any of these are legit.  If I were a character focused collector like Cory, then sure I would want one but I'm not and I won't be in the near future.  I know people do collect them though

Ty over at GH once said something to the effect of (he bought a proto Tessek) "I showed this to my friends and family and their reaction was you paid how much for that???" :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 12:51 AM »
Heres a huge prototype, Ehpant Mon.  :o
Ephant Mon Proto

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 11:31 AM »
OK, now I'm starting to get skeptical, there are like 3 or 4 guys out there selling "prototypes" Anyone know a good way to tell if they are legit or not?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 11:55 AM »
eBay user mimidog4428 has some nice prototypes. Looks like he has been selling them for quite awhile.
mimidog4428 Past Auctions

There is another seller I noticed. stargigi but I have not seen him before & he has only a 10 feedback rating but the stuff he has looks really nice.
stargigi Sellers List

I only have the one prototype thus far & I am in no way an expert on them. The one I have is similar to the one that mimidog4428 sells & there is a thread over at RS on the Playskool Prototypes.

OT (Sorta): Playskool Prototypes

About the best I can do for ya.  ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 11:57 AM »
I have been collecting protos for a few years now... though I haven't bought anything for a bit now... but I think many on eBay are not really legit...

But let me explain...

I think they are being run of the original molds though not for Hasbro's use and just run to make m o n e y.
So in essence they are legit but they aren't...
Confusing? Yes.

I have seen far too many of the same type of proto being sold by the same seller, and multiple sellers as well..
Granted please do understand Hasbro does make a little run of protos because this is a time to run things through the mold before they go full swing into production.

I think some think proto and think only one or two exist when that is a very rare case... and to be honest in the modern line I doubt there are any protos that only exist in one or two forms...

Don't get me wrong though there aren't huge runs of any proto out there. Most are (for use of a better word) more "limited" than "limited" piece out there...

There are also many steps to which protos are created from wax to hardcopy to test shot... and some in between. Test shots are the most common though.
Most test shots are those w/out copyrights but of course there are plenty out that do indeed have the copyright... and that would be the final run before full swing production is started.

What I see going is people in Asia working in factories running of excessive runs on things for the sole purpose of making money. They known better than anyone what some people will pay for certain figures and protos...
Though the test shot market as evidenced by eBay as really nose dived because of this...

In essence youa re getting a proto nonetheless... though was that just an extra run off or one made for Hasbro internal use?

I lost a lot of interest in the proto aspect at least for now... though I'd like to finish of my Hoth proto set soon while prices seem to be stagnant...

We'll see...
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 12:33 PM »
The thing with prototypes is, I would rather have a finished, complete, production figure, rather than a multiple plasticed, unfinished unpainted pre-production piece.  You can keep your first shots and protos and hardcopies and all that jazz.  I want the finished figure.

Also, the only time I would even want a proto is if that figure was never released at retail...due to either cancellation or failure of a company or some other such thing...

Jango Fettish

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 12:46 PM »
I've tried my hand at securing some Jango prototypes on eBay, but they usually got over $100 every time, which is just simply out of my league.

I must either be spoiled on good deals on ebay, or I just think about what else I could do with $100.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 12:48 PM »
The thing w/ protos is you get see much more detail in many cases... Most people do not realize subtle details left out once all the paint aps are applied...

Then there are the many cases where a proto might have some additional detail that gets cut from the production verison.

There are people on both sides of the fence like many other things in this hobby...

Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 12:50 PM »
I've been toying with just settling in on a focus and letting go of much of my collection, a proto of a certain character or two would be cool pieces to have methinks