Author Topic: New JD Review: Hem Dazon  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Hem Dazon
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:17 AM »
This week we're going to wrap up the Tatooine Wave with an (as usual) in-depth review of the first alien you see in the Cantina sequeince...

Clicky button to ready review...

The review for Hem was a pretty pleasant one overall on my end of things...  I don't know if I'm growing used to it or...  wait, screw that, of course I'm not growing used to it, I hate the fact this figure lacks knee joints.  Yes, Hem Dazon falls prey to Hasbro's lack of "fun" this year by also being completely left out in the cold on knee articulation.

Why Hasbro?  Come on guys, get with the program...

That said, the figure has a lot to love...  The arm articulation is quite acceptable, the holster is nifty, the bandoleir accessory is a wonderful plus (and adds to the figure aesthetically), the "look" of the outfit is definitely able fit in with the 70's looks of some of the Cantina aliens but the legs/arms, and his general shape (especially the legs) make him something completely alien looking and help him to stand out from the other more human shaped aliens.

That's cool...

The figure wound up winning me over, much like Garindan did, despite my initial apprehension at early photos of Hem Dazon.  The leg articulation will be a disappointment forever and always rank up there in my "Cons" portions but Hem had a lot more to love than hate, so read on for the whole review to see why he's a worthy purchase...

Now if we could just please get Hasbro to make figures AT LEAST up to the quality of the 2004/05 POTC Cantina Wave, we'd be in business for all glowing reviews of their wares. :)  Come on Hasbro you KNOW you want to do it.

Hell I'd do without ball/socket shoulders for ball/socket knees.  How about you?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Hem Dazon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:11 AM »
I agree completely with the fact that he can't stand very well. It's not like their excuse is that they had to make his legs that way, because....um...THEY made his legs how THEY wanted them to be.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 12:13 PM »
Good review JJ. He's one of the best TSC figures IMO in terms of accesories, thats an important area to me. I don't mind that he doesn't have knee articulation, after all, he's a cantina alien, not a trooper or Jedi.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:58 AM »
Thanks guys...

Roton, actually Hasbro DIDN'T design Hem Dazon, believe it or not...  Like I noted in my review, Hem was actually designed by West End Games first, and Hasbro stayed true to the design they came up with.  He's actually existed as a metal miniature in the past and Hasbro's is pretty spot-on to that one's details I do believe.

The space suit on the WEG mini is more ornate and spacey but the hands/feet and overall physiology is spot-on to Hasbro's so they're working off SOMETHING anyway. :)  WEG left very few stones unturned.

As far as his knees go...  I'd say this is a major point with Hem Dazon because of the mentioned issues with the figure standing.  The knees would be a good fix for that problem had Hasbro included them...  That said, just because he's a Cantina Alien doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to sit down...  The '04 POTC Cantina Wave all had knee joints and subsequently were superior figures to this one as a result.

What I'm more disappointed with though, is that he has ball/socket shoulders unnecessarilly.  Why not just give this figure (or Garindan) standard shoulder joints and ball/socket knees.  The B/S shoulder doesn't have the positives the knee joints do as far as I see it...  They're great don't get me wrong, I just would suffice with standard shoulders in favor of ball/socket knees being added onto the list if that were an option.  That's me though.

I still say that all figures can have, and should have knee joints...  GI Joes did in 1982...  It'd be nice if Star Wars figures jumped into the...  uh, well 20th century I guess, since now they're in the 21st and all that. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 09:54 AM »
I guess I'm so hapy to have the figure that the lack of nee joint flew over my head. I think it is the only real drawback of an otherwise great figure.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:07 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly Anton, the knees are one drawback on a figure filled with coolness.  The bandoleir's a great extra, the pistol (all new) is fantastic, the sculpt and paint are nice, his arm and upper body articulation got a nod from me too as quite good.

He's a lot like Garindan...  I'd put the great Kubaz a notch higher though as Garindan had the cloak and the awesome communicator WITH a pocket.  He just outmatched Hem here, but he's close.  And far superior to Momaw Nadon...  Everyone in that wave's superior to Momaw Nadon I'm afradi.

If I had to rank it I'd say Sandtrooper, Garindan, Hem/R5 tied, and Momaw bringing up the rear...  Han/Luke bring up the far rear then with Luke perhaps edging out Han I'd think.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 11:50 PM »
My only gripe with this figure is the conceptual one: I always pictured this character as a Tatooine native wearing moisture farmer robes.  As it is, he reminds me of a GI Joe Alien villain or something.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:57 AM »
I don't mind that aspect of it so much, and as noted he's not Hasbro's design to really flub so blame WEG I guess, but I agree that there's a lot of robed guys in the Cantina yet besides Obi we've yet to get a figure of one of them...  well does Wuher count?  I guess.

Anyway the Duros in the raggier looking close would be cool and fill that void I think...  So would one of the random humans too though random background humans seem to be a rough sell.  Garrouf Lafoe is high on my list though. :)