Author Topic: POTF2 Figures - Which Were the Ones that "Wowed" You?  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
POTF2 Figures - Which Were the Ones that "Wowed" You?
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Although most of the figures from the POTF2 line don't look nearly as nice compared to the more recent figures, I'm sure at the time some were pretty spiffy.  I know when my friend and I first found out about POTF2 figures - and picked up some loose ones - we thought some of them were pretty nice.  I remember being amazed at the detail on the Boba Fett - compared to the vintage version.  Same with the commtech Han Solo.  There were others as well, but I wasn't on board collecting POTF2 from the beginning.  I was just curious for those of you who were, which figures really stood out at the time?  Which were some of the prized figures in your collection?  Sure, they look buff and silly now, but when comparing them to the vintage figures back then some of them looked pretty nice :).

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: POTF2 Figures - Which Were the Ones that "Wowed" You?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:40 PM »
This is a neat little question and should bring up some fond (yes I said FOND!) memories of POTF2. To answer the question, the initial C-3PO and R2-D2 figures wowed me. They had a lot of detail, far more than any of the vintage figures, and were quite shiny. They also looked the least beefy of the first 9 figures and still hold their own today when compared to other figures of that time. Other POTF2 figures that I thought stood out from the "beefy" era of 95-97 were the Luke Stormtrooper, Bouush Leia, Snowtrooper, & Weequay.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:43 AM »
This is a great topic. I'd have to say that at the time, almost all the POTF2 figures impressed me. After a 10 year lack of new figures, I would have taken anything (yes, I even bought all the Bend-Ems!). Although the earliest ones were a little on the beefy side, it was still cool to see some modern versions. I think the ones that have held up nicely even compared to the most current lines are:

-C-3PO (all versions)
-Yoda (I prefer this one to any of the AOTC or ROTS ones, those look a little on the angry/possessed side)
-Luke X-Wing/Snowspeeder Pilot (he's great esp. if you pretend he's someone other than Luke)
-Jawas
-Hammerhead (the new one is nice too, but the '96 version was perfect except for the gi-normous cannon)
-Greedo
-Tie Fighter Pilot (although the saga one is better, this guy is still flight-worthy)
-Boussh Leia
-Weequay
-Rancor Keeper
-Slave Leia
-EV-9D9
-8D8
-Nein Numb
-Emperor (I still like this one over crazy big hood)
-Death Star Gunner
-Cantina Band
-Bossk
-2-1B
4-LOM
-Walrus Man
-Yak Face
-Takeel
-Labria
-Endor Rebel (still cool since even though they've made more recent versions, this one's like having a variant)
-Ewoks
-Lak Sivrak
-Ishi Tib
-Zuckuss
-B'omarr Monk
-Oola
-Muftak and Kabe
-Jabba's Dancers
-Jabba's Skiff Guards
-Rebel Pilots Cinema Scene
-Ugnaughts
-Ree-Yees
-Prune Face
-Max Rebo band pairs
-Death Star Droid
-Pote Snitkin
-Flashback Anakin
-Flashback Beru
-Leia Hoth
-ALL the Comtech figures
....and my personal favorite of the POTF2 era, the Gammorrean Guard. That is one nice figure that I don't think they could improve much on, with the exception of some more articulation in the arms.
Sorry for such a long list, but I'm not too picky when it comes to the "little plastic men"! I know some collectors would like every figure from this era to be remade with super articulation and totally movie accurate sculpts and paint schemes, but I think these guys hold up and don't really need an updating.
Let's hear more thoughts!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Timely topic. I was just thinking about this because I just packed some of my loose POTF2 figures away yesterday. Previous to the FF's, I don't think any of the sculpts hold up, at all. I was just looking at them, trying to fit them into carrying cases, and wishing I had never bought them.

The line didn't start improving until the FF's and the first one to really "wow" me was the Vader with removable helmet. In fact, he still does.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:46 AM »
Just thought of another figure that - at the time - looked pretty good to me - Bespin Luke.  I thought that figure was pretty nice when I first picked it up.  I was curious, again with me not collecting POTF2 from the get-go or being online at the time - were there a lot of complaints about the figures and/or sculpts back then?  Were people a little more forgiving than we are now, just excited to have Star Wars figures back on the pegs?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 04:15 PM »
I was curious, again with me not collecting POTF2 from the get-go or being online at the time - were there a lot of complaints about the figures and/or sculpts back then? Were people a little more forgiving than we are now, just excited to have Star Wars figures back on the pegs?

Interesting you ask this Brian.  I don't recall a lot of complaints at the time, though I wasn't on any boards either.  I did type out something a while ago that held no interest here.  It was from a magazine talking about the early shipments of POTF2 and it's probably somewhat timely to repost it now:

From Wizard 55 by Dan Albaugh

An exclusive offer for a Star Wars action figure of Han Solo in a Stormtrooper outfit is currently available on specially marked boxes of Kellogg's Froot Loops cereal.  The Solo figure is available from Kellogg's in exchange for two Froot Loops proof-of-purchase UPC symbols and the official order form.  The offer exired on December 31, 1995 (or when supplies were exhausted).  The figure is limited to one order per order form and five per mailing household.  The secondary market value for the Han Solo Stormtrooper is $20-30. 

Kenner has also released a four-pack of original Star Wars figures, crafted from the old figure molds.  The re-issues are identical to the originals and include Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.  The set of four retails for $19.95.

Some hobby retailers expressed concern that the new Star Wars line might have a negative effect on the sales of figures and accessories produced from 1978 through 1985.  "Such has not been the case, " claims retailer Ken Lawrence of Heroes Unlimited in Oradell, N.J.  "The new line hasn't slowed sales on older pieces at all.  I wouldn't say the new line has sparked significant interest in older releases, but it hasn't hurt."

Of the new Star Wars line, Princess Leia and C-3PO have taken the lead as the most actively pursued figures.  C-3PO was a late release and is now valued at $12-18.  There was a rumor in the hobby marketplace that Kenner was displeased with Leia's appearance and planned for changes.  Not so, say Kenner sources.  Her figure is currently an easy $15-20 sell. 

According to retailers in the know, three different Star Wars case assortments have been produced.  Assortment #1 contained no Leias or C-3POs, three Han Solos, three Luke Skywalkers and two of each of the remaining figures (Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, Chewbacca and R2-D2).  Assortement #2 included no C-3POs, two Leias and two each of all the other figures.  The most recent assortment features on Leia, one Kenobi, two C-3POs and two of everyone else.

Star Wars releases slated for February include Han Solo (Hoth gear), Lando Calrissian (Cloud City outfit), Yoda and TIE Fighter Pilot, along with Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber and a Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper.

So apparently at one point Kenner was happy with monkey-faced Leia ;) and at the very least she had secondary market value.  I interpret that to mean that most people were just gobbling this stuff up, crap or not. 

Vader impressed me initially.  I could at least accept his buff physique because of the armor.  R2 was cool as well being one of the three figures I initially bought.  The third was Obi-Wan and he was a gift to my graduate student advisor who got the analogy of him having Obi-Wan and me having Vader. 

As a general comment I think the buff/He-Man/overly muscular figures were the normal style of the day.  While they don't hold up well to modern Hasbro stuff for the most part they were comparable to much of what was being produced and bought during the mid-90s. 

I'll always keep a set of the early POTF2 stuff, even if it is considered hideous by most collectors.  It now has a bit of a nostalgic feel for me relative to the new stuff.  Transitional if you will.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Thanks for posting Brent, that was an interesting read.  Its funny reading how the early Leia and 3PO figures were so sought after, and demanded fairly high prices.  The 3PO still doesn't really look too bad, but the Leia has become infamous since then.  Of course, I probably would have wanted it too, seeing as the cast would be incomplete without her.  As funny as some of those figures look - especially now - its just fun for me to read other people's experiences.  It seems like it would have been a fun time to be collecting - Star Wars figures back for the first time in 10 years, a fairly limited release so there wasn't as much to keep up on - just simpler back then (and cheaper, I'm guessing).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2006, 12:43 AM »
The 3PO still doesn't really look too bad, but the Leia has become infamous since then. 

And you know, as ugly as that figure is, I like it.  Not because of its sculpt, but like Brent said, because of its nostalgic feel.  For me, the POTF2 line, especially the early "buff" figures, are among my favourites.  I just brings back the memories of finding those figures on the shelf for the first time and being so excited that there was actually something Star Wars -based to buy.