Author Topic: Painting Custom Figures - Tips and Tricks?  (Read 16145 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Joints Scraping Paint!
« Reply #30 on: April 4, 2006, 12:27 AM »
I know a lot of you probably have this problem, but maybe someone can help me out here. When you paint a figure that has articulation, even basic leg rotation, the paint gets scraped off. I really would like to know how to solve this problem, especially on elbow and ball shoulder joints. I wondered if maybe sealant on those areas would do it.

Well you should seal your figure regardless of it being painted at the joints, it gives it more of a production look and should help protect the paint all over.

hemble is always suggesting using a bit of superglue on the tip of a toothpick and carefully covering the areas around the joint that may chip. I tried it recently and it seems to work really well.
"This is the way."

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #31 on: April 4, 2006, 10:52 AM »
very interesting!  I may have to try this!
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #32 on: April 4, 2006, 12:27 PM »
I seem to have this issue even though I DO use spray sealant!  I'll have to try that superglue trick of hemble's, though -- that may be just the thing.

... the Findswoman

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 4, 2006, 06:30 PM »
I use hembles method and it works like a charm...just 1 make sure you don't glue the 2 parts together  2.....if  you passout of super glue fumes....umm...well....hope someone will call 911....but still gotta love super glue
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
Re: painting figures
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2006, 10:57 AM »
i agree, games workshop paint are awsum for painting soft plastics, mainly because thats what their mde for lol, i wouldnt go with any ither paints, infact most of my customizin kit comes from gw
in the words of a famous admiral......

ITS A TWAP!!!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2006, 12:04 PM »
OMG you ressurected a 5 month old thread, my only "?" is WHY. ???

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2006, 12:33 PM »
was u talkin to me then?, casue i only joined last night so i dont really know much bout 5 month old topics lol

ITS A TWAP!!!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2006, 01:17 PM »
    Yeah this is a 5 month old topic look at the post before yours, Jan 31 so I guess it's really 4 months then, but still ???

Also instead of "was u talkin to me" you'll get more love if you use "Were you talking to me? Because I only joined last night, so I don't really know much about 5 month old topics. LOL."

This board tends to be more strict about: grammar, word usage, and spelling. The more you concentrate on this the more respect you will have, not just for your work but for yourself.
     Anyway welcome aboard, it's good to have you here. Can't wait to see your customs.

Sorry Mods for going off topic on this one. You can delete this post if need be.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 01:22 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline kirk_dougall

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Yeah this is a 5 month old topic look at the post before yours, Jan 31 so I guess it's really 4 months then, but still 

Also instead of "was u talkin to me" you'll get more love if you use "Were you talking to me? Because I only joined last night, so I don't really know much about 5 month old topics. LOL."

This board tends to be more strict about: grammar, word usage, and spelling. The more you concentrate on this the more respect you will have, not just for your work but for yourself.
     Anyway welcome aboard, it's good to have you here. Can't wait to see your customs.

Sorry Mods for going off topic on this one. You can delete this post if need be.

:o I'm amazed this place isnt packed full of members if they all receive a welcome like that ::)
http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
U.K Stockist of Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas and Kotobukiya.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2006, 02:11 PM »
I'm not yelling at him, I'm letting him know what goes down here, so he doesn't get skinned alive like I did when I first came. :-\

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2006, 05:13 PM »
thank you very much, i'll watch my grammer hence forth and shall post some of my mandalorian customs as soon as i have acctually got pictures of them

ITS A TWAP!!!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006, 03:28 PM »
You have the same problem that I had when I was using enamels. Some of my earliest customs are still sticky. I switched over to acrylic paints that you find in the craft section at Walmart. I haven't had that problem since.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
customs
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I have always wanted to make customs but never knew what materials and paint i needed so i was wondering if anyone could make a list of materials and type of paint i should use to make customs and where i would be able to get them plz and thank u ;D
Momar and Fester

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Re: customs
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 06:45 PM »
When I started making customs almost everybody directed me to Citadel paints by Games Workshop. I however have been so busy with preping custom parts that I have not had chance to use them yet, but almost every pic I have seen where they were used looked great!
(From personal experience...DONT USE TESTORS! The path to the darkside it is... too thick.)
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: customs
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 07:34 PM »
If you are just getting started (and even some very talented and experienced customizers).  You can buy the "cheap" acrylic paints at Michaels and Walmart.  They are usually less than $1 apiece and available a huge variety of colors.

Personally, I use Citadel (gamesworkshop) and reaper brand paints.  They are $2-3 for about 1/2 oz.