Author Topic: How to cast my Kybuck Steed...  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
How to cast my Kybuck Steed...
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been experimenting with sillicone casting (Smooth On products) these past few months and start getting the hang of it. But now, I have a problem and need some advice fro more experienced people.

This is my Kybuck steed as some of you might know:

Over the past few years, some people have asked me to build them one as a commission. And now, I have the casting materials so I thought, I can give it a shot. But I don't know which way will be best to cast it.
The Steed has NO articulation and is built in one piece. You could call it a "statue".

What would be the best way to make a sillicone mold and plastic cast of this one?

Any suggestions?
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: How to cast my Kybuck Steed...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:03 PM »
My suggestion would be to make a 2-piece mold.  I've never done it (but I'm going to try soon).  Glassman has a great tutorial in the top thread here.

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:34 AM »
I read Glassman6's tutorial, but when he makes 2 part molds, he takes the base fig a part and casts every part individually. I can't do that here... Would it work with a 2 part mold?
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Hey Kit,

Looking at the model, I would say you might want to do a 3 part mold.  First, get some clean clay (that is a name brand) to build up the negative. Cover everything in clay except for one side. Make sure to expose the front and back leg half way. Build your mold box to fit arround the clay frame (as outlined in Glassman6 instructions). Make your keys and pour the RTV. Flip the mold over after it cures and remove the clay down half way, exposing the same mirror image of the side you just made (legs half way exposed). This should leave the center piece between the legs filled with clay. Make your keys and pour your RTV. Now remove the rest of the clay between the legs and make sure to use mold release on the two halves of the RTV exposed so they won't stick to the third piece. Pour the RTV and let it sit. Now when you pull the mold apart, you should have three pieces. By now if you have not done so during the making of the mold, make sure to put in you sprew and you air vents. You can cut these out using an exacto blade. Now reassemble your mold, tape or rubber band it together and pour your resin or plaster or what ever your copy material you want.

I hope this helps.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:57 AM »
@Jedi_Master_Ben: I wanted to say thank you, because I was wondering how to effectively do three part molds!
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:23 PM »
If it were me, I'd actually probably cast each major portion separately but it would be similar to JMBen's technique overall... 

What I mean though is that I'd 2-part mold each leg individually, the head, then the body...  By the end then you would actually have a kit, more or less, that would need put together...  Depending how you did the molds, there may need to be filled in gaps here and there but it should turn out well overall.

Great custom piece by the way, really top notch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:34 AM »
From what i see in the pics and remember about this custom, its not articulated.
The legs dont move...right? 
Well, if thats the case, your  are really just casting a satue.  So I wouldnt worry about
doing it in pieces.

Follow bens suggestions.  If that gets too difficult, just do two halves and use a slow cure resin/flexible so you can get it into the legs, when pouring and out of the mold without snaping the legs off or tearing the mold.

Good luck.

G