Author Topic: Who collects vintage?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Who collects vintage?
« on: May 29, 2003, 10:10 PM »
Ever since I started collecting again my main interest has always been the vintage line.All the memories of times past are still strong as the days long gone when all the kids in the neighborhood would get together and we would recreate all the battles,overtake Jaba.etc. and trade figures.All of which I still have today.

I have picked up quite a vintage collection over the years as I would score a great deal here and there but really didnt want to spend the money for the high end stuff.The past few months I have grown tired of the modern line and will still buy the ones that interest me but the completist in me is over.I'm going back to my roots to where it all began as vintage collecting gives me the greatest joy of  the Star Wars Universe.I'm still undecided about what to do about my modern collection but from this point forward it just doesnt do it for me anymore.

So with that I'm going to work on completing my loose figure collection and rekindle the fire to complete my carded collection as well.Easier said than done really because my scout collection always seems to come first.I have a problem with buying more than one person really needs. ;D

So now I come to my question-If you are a vintage collector what are your goals at the moment? Anyone here have a character focus? Do you collect loose or carded or both?Basically what is your thing when it comes to the vintage stuff?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Who collects vintage?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 10:38 PM »
The vintage line is by far the most exciting series to collect out of all Star Wars products.  I primarily collect loose figures, but I have two carded figures (ROTJ 77-back Biker Scout and ESB 48-back AT-AT Driver).  My main focus with the vintage line is to build up an Imperial Army.  I think I have done a pretty good job at doing that, because I currently have a great-sized Imperial Army... just want to make it BIGGER.  The only vintage vehicles I own are some Speeder Bikes, Slave I, and an AT-ST.

LIST OF LOOSE FIGURES...

--- A NEW HOPE ---
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
C-3PO
Chewbacca
Darth Vader [x2]
Death Squad Commander [x4]
Death Star Droid
FX-7
Greedo [x3]
Hammerhead
Han Solo
Jawa
Luke Skywalker  
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot [x2]
Power Droid
Princess Leia Organa
R2-D2 [x2]
R5-D4 [x2]
Sandpeople [x5]
Snaggletooth (blue) [x2]
Snaggletooh (red) [x3]
Stormtrooper [x8]
Walrus Man [x3]

--- EMPIRE STRIKES BACK ---
2-1B
4-LOM
Admiral Ackbar
AT-AT Commander [x2]
AT-AT Driver [x17]
Bespin Security Guard (white) [x3]
Boba Fett [x3]
Bossk [x2]
C-3PO with Removable Limbs
Dengar
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit)
IG-88 [x6]
Imperial Commander [x5]
Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot [x20]
Lobot [x2]
Rebel Commander [x2]
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) [x6]
Snowtrooper [x4]
Ugnaught [x4]
Yoda
Zuckuss

--- RETURN OF THE JEDI ---
8D8 [x2]
Bib Fortuna
Biker Scout [x11]
The Emperor [x3]
Emperor's Royal Guard
Gamorrean Guard [x5]
General Madine
Klaatu [x2]
Klaatu (Skiff Guard Outfit) [x2]
Logray (Ewok Medicine Man) [x2]
Nikto
Prune Face
Ree-Yees
Squid Head [x3]
Weequay [x3]

LINKS TO PICTURES OF MY LOOSE VINTAGE FIGURES...

-- Blue Snaggletooths
-- IG-88's
-- AT-AT Drivers and Biker Scouts
-- TIE Fighter Pilots
-- Boba Fett, IG-88 and Bossk
-- Carded ROTJ Biker Scout
dustrho

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 10:58 PM »
I just began collecting Vintage about 2 months ago.  I scored all figures except for Vader, Yak, C-3po w/ net, and Blue Snaggletooth for about $200.  I got about 107 figures, and 3 ESB vinyl cases!!!  Some days you just fall on you butt into luck!  I'm not really into the vehicle, playsets, and etc.  I did snag a Jabba, and would like to get the Droid Factory R2, and the wind up R2.  The carded vintage are a bit out of my price range.  I like the vintage alot better than the newer stuff.  I was so stoked to get a Vader and Greedo.  I haven't had these guys since I was 5.  I'm working on getting a few weapons that were missing, and I eventually would like to have all of my figures in C8, or better.  I hate repro weapons with a passion, and I don't really mess with variations.  Vintage variations vary depending on who you ask.  I'm wanting to get some figure stands and protectors, so I'm sourcing those out now.  Does anyone have any extras for sale at reasonable prices???
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 11:38 PM »
Hung Solow, you should post a thread in the Classifieds section to help you get the weapons you're looking for, and to see if anyone has some extra stands for sale.  I hate repro weapons too, and it's hard to find vintage weapons at reasonable prices.  Good luck finding what you need.
dustrho

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 09:04 AM »
Well count me in as a vintage collector.

I collect it all. Lately I have sold off alot of my carded figs to go after other items. mainly protos but I still will snag any good deal I find ;)  I have laid off buying a bit and have been funding the vintage through modern sales and trades. I like the modern stuff but they don't bring me back to my childhood like the memories associated with the vintage line.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 09:15 AM »
I am...but I really am finished collecting with only a few more items I want...a Wampa, Tauntaun and an upgraded Leia and Snowtrooper.  Everything else is C9+ loose and complete and all with original weapons.

I've toyed with a Micro collection cause I loved the Hoth and Bespin sets as a lad, not sure yet :-*

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 10:24 AM »
Collect vintage. You bet! You can check out some of my stuff in the Collections area of the forum.
I started collecting vinty in Feb, 2001. Took me around 14 months to finish. 70% eBay buying. Now I am just looking around trying to get anything that I can find that interests me. It also depends on the cost.  ;)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 10:28 AM »
I've toyed with a Micro collection cause I loved the Hoth and Bespin sets as a lad, not sure yet :-*

I forgot I had some of the Micro Collection too...

-- Hoth Ion Cannon
-- Freezing Chamber
-- Trash Compactor
-- Bespin Gantry
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 01:25 PM »
I do and do not. I am not too serious at the moment due to the money it takes to get carded or boxed vintage stuff. I have some decent loose figures and I have a source that I can get more from quite cheap and easily. He also has a boxed 12" Leia and she's only missing her belt. Her braids are tight and well preserved.

Anyway, I hope to start supporting a vintage collection by using my modern stuff in trade or at auction. I hope to sooner than later, but I have a lot of time to catch up...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2003, 07:55 PM »
Nice collection pics Chris and Dale.Chris,you have managed to put together a pretty good run of mutiples in your time I see.Anytime you want to sell those scouts feel free to let me know. 8) 11 scouts aint to shabby.

I also have some of the micros,I love these.I recently found all of mine that I owned as a kid and am looking to get more.The Freezing chamber is one of my favorites.

I am totally against repro weapons myself.Finding originals has proven to take a lot of time for me to get.I have never bought any lots of figs or weapons from Ebay personally.Basically I just started building from my chilhood figures and went from there.I pick up a few here and there from other forum members.Hung Solow you should have no problem finding originals going through the classifieds.For stands and such I order mine through Wholesalecases.com.Top notch seller. ;D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 01:57 AM »
Chris,you have managed to put together a pretty good run of mutiples in your time I see.Anytime you want to sell those scouts feel free to let me know. 8) 11 scouts aint to shabby.

There's no way I'm ever going to get rid of my Biker Scouts.  :)  I bought 8 of those at one time on eBay, and they are in absolute C-10 condition (5 came with original guns).  They're my favorite Star Wars figure of all time.  I can see why you're such a lover of the Biker Scout.   8)
dustrho

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 1, 2003, 09:45 PM »
I too consider myself a strict vintage Star Wars collector.My collection is 85% vintage....but I've come to accept the EP1 and EP2 toys into the Star Wars family........so I collect them also ;)

I'm only 4 vintage figures away from having a complete loose set:

A wing pilot
Imperial Dignitary
Lando General
Yak Face

I guess the only major variants I'm lacking are an early bird Luke and a Vinyl cape Jawa.

I have a ton of the playsets and ships....actually, the only ships I'm missing are the skiff,Awing and Imperial Shuttle.I have multiples of Xwings,Ties and etc........for future diorama purposes. I'm also an Imperial army builder.......I've got close to 20 mint Sormies right now...all complete......as well as ERG's,Biker's and etc.

I love anything and everything about vintage Star Wars.......and I collect alot of vintage SW non figure items as well :D
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 1, 2003, 10:53 PM »
Chris,you have managed to put together a pretty good run of mutiples in your time I see.Anytime you want to sell those scouts feel free to let me know. 8) 11 scouts aint to shabby.

There's no way I'm ever going to get rid of my Biker Scouts.  :)  I bought 8 of those at one time on eBay, and they are in absolute C-10 condition (5 came with original guns).  They're my favorite Star Wars figure of all time.  I can see why you're such a lover of the Biker Scout.   8)

LoL,I knew you would say that Chris.I dont blame you any for not wanting to sell them.Thanks for sharing the pics anyway. :P

Hey Brian,nice to see you found your way over here. ;D

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 1, 2003, 11:10 PM »

Hey Brian,nice to see you found your way over here. ;D

Yep, I'm here to stay.......I'm just a little fed up with the BS going on at RS.....so I've been exploring other sites......and I've fallen in love with JD :D
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline hansloroll

• Youngling
  • attempting to complete my vintage collection
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 1, 2003, 11:43 PM »
I collect vintage but won't list them all.Many are incomplete so they aren't all perfect.Lately,in the last year and a half I have been getting into the carded arena but I leave the big ticket stuff alone.
attempting to complete my vintage collection .Available for sculpting and painting.cantina monsters and droids a favorite project.