Author Topic: Tattoos -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?  (Read 31772 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Tattoos -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2006, 07:07 PM »
I disagree with you, and I'll bet that you'll probably disagree with me.   If it's a slightly varied interpretation then it's not the same.  Both are unique to the bearer because they are what the bearer has assigned their own meaning to.

I do understand different interpretations.  I guess my example is more in general. Bill Cable's Jawa (which he posted above) is certainly a lot different than say, Ralph McQuarrie's jawa.   My point was that somewhere out there, there's going to be someone else with a Jawa on their arm.

Yes, one Jawa may look a little different, but having a Jawa on your arm is not a unique thing.  Go to C4 and you're going to see 4 or 5. 

Is there someone out there with your symbol, and your kids names on there that means the exact same thing?  No.   But someone's close I'm sure.

No such thing as a unique tattoo, except that guy on Prison Break.  And that's fake. ;D

Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I do understand different interpretations.  I guess my example is more in general. Bill Cable's Jawa (which he posted above) is certainly a lot different than say, Ralph McQuarrie's jawa.   My point was that somewhere out there, there's going to be someone else with a Jawa on their arm.

Yes, one Jawa may look a little different, but having a Jawa on your arm is not a unique thing.  Go to C4 and you're going to see 4 or 5.

Hell, there's even a guy at 'Scum (Depmode) who has a tattoo very similar to the one Bill posted, of a Jawa blasting Artoo.

I think a totally unique tattoo is probably a pretty rare thing nowadays.  Except for the "UPC barcode on back of neck" one.  Nobody has one of those.   ;)

And, uh, this guy:

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2006, 10:27 PM »
He looks like your avatar.   ;D

So what does he do for a living, I wonder.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline MaxWedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2006, 02:52 AM »
So what does he do for a living, I wonder.

High School Guidance Counselor?
Wants - everything.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2006, 11:22 AM »

I designed this for someone... it's on her upper right thigh, I believe.

I'm afraid if I get one tattoo, I'll end up with a dozen... Until I decide on something I'm positive I'll enjoy my entire life, I'll just keep designing stuff for other people.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Rob, tell us about yours.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2006, 12:57 PM »

I think a totally unique tattoo is probably a pretty rare thing nowadays. Except for the "UPC barcode on back of neck" one. Nobody has one of those. ;)

I feel bad for the first guy who did the UPC thing - imagine how he feels these days...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Rob, tell us about yours.

Kevin

It's Chinese characters - they translate out to 'no forbidden poisons.'  More or less they say drug free.  If I had it all to do again I probably wouldn't do Chinese characters - but it's still something I stand by and believe in and all that jazz.

Of Marin's three, her coolest one is of St. Lucy's hand - just the hand and eyes, take from this image:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:00 PM by Rob »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Of Marin's three, her coolest one is of St. Lucy's hand - just the hand and eyes, take from this image:

Did Marin (cool name ;)) get that one because she thought it was a cool image, or does it have some significance to her?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 04:39 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2006, 03:21 PM »
One version of the story goes that Lucy's eyes were put out by Diocletian - and in some of those versions this followed her being 'subjected to a common list of legendary tortures -- burning, boiling oil, teeth drawn, breasts sheared, etc.'   It's not a Christian thing for her, but a strong female figure thing for her.  It's also a gorgeous image.  There's also this (it might be where the idea for this tattoo came from since we'd just studied Dante in Rome prior to her getting it) from Wikipedia:

"Dante also mentions Lucia in Inferno Canto II as the messenger "of all cruelty the foe" sent to Beatrice from "The blessed Dame" (Divine Mercy), to rouse Beatrice to send Virgil to Dante's aid. She has instructed Virgil to guide Dante through Hell and Purgatory. Lucia is only referenced indirectly in Virgil's discourse within the narrative and doesn't appear; the reasons for her appearing in this intermediary role are still somewhat unclear to scholars, although doubtless Dante had some allegorical end in mind, perhaps the enlightening Grace that proceeds from Divine Mercy.

In Mark Musa's translation of Dante's Purgatorio, a note is made stating that Lucy was admired by an undesirable suitor for her beautiful eyes. To stay chaste she plucked out her own eyes, a great sacrifice for which God gave her a pair of even more beautiful eyes."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:23 PM by Rob »

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2006, 10:26 PM »

My Bantha skull
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 5, 2007, 10:39 PM »
Tamidala, what did you ever decide to do about the tattoo?!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #57 on: January 5, 2007, 11:48 PM »
My Bantha skull

Link isn't working for me.

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 7, 2007, 10:05 PM »
I pulled My Tattoo off my photobucket site a while back I'll try to get it posted back on here soon.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 8, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I love tattoos and always have. I remember seeing them when I was a kid and asking my mom if I could get one so i've always had a facination.

As of right now I have:

1. Chinese symbol for "Fate" which we took out of a chinese dictionary so i'm 98% sure it's legit. If it wasn't i'd be totally cool with it. I have that kind of humor...

2. My band's logo. We were together for 10 years and it's some of the best memories I have...

3. A shattered "?" which describes me perfectly...

I have plans for my next few and an eventual full sleeve. I'd really like a Chewbacca tattoo but i'm skeptical of an artist to get it right. Addiction is an understatement when it comes to tattoos...