Author Topic: Anakin and Padme...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Anakin and Padme...
« on: May 30, 2003, 02:32 PM »
New spoilerish stuff from the Latest Homing Beacon

As an artist and director, Iain McCaig keeps a busy schedule with his own creative projects. When Episode II entered pre-production, there was some question as to whether or not he’d return to the Art Department team that helped envision George Lucas’ growing Star Wars universe. McCaig did indeed come back, but the same question arose when Episode III started down the conceptual development path. Once again, McCaig found that he couldn’t resist the call to return to the galaxy far, far away.

"It’s an artist thing," laughs McCaig. "Whatever you make -- it’s corny to say -- but they actually are your children in some ways. Helping create Anakin and Padmé in Episode I, I couldn’t abandon them after that. I needed to know what happened and see them through to their final moments. You want to accompany your kids as far as you can go."

Episode III is the final chapter detailing what fans already know is a bleak resolution for Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala. The Chosen One succumbs to the call of the dark side, with disastrous consequences for those he loves. McCaig notes satisfaction with the way this transformation currently exists, as words on the script pages and accompanying artwork.

"In Episode I, when we saw Jake Lloyd, we wondered where’s the dark side? Why isn’t this kid creepy?" recounts McCaig. "And then, in Episode II, Hayden Christensen came across as a justifiably angry teenager more than a kid who crosses over to the true dark side. Killing the Sand People... they killed his mom! I could go mad and do something like that. So, I kept waiting for the dark side to take hold. In this film, you realize, it’s more about Anakin making the wrong choices. He’s given a glorious moment by George -- I’m so happy with part of the script -- where he truly has to make a choice. In the end, I think that’s a smarter way to go than a slow transformation. It’s more tragic this way."

Tragedy follows the beautiful Amidala as well. Since Episode I, McCaig has helped develop Padmé’s intricate costumes, which often serve as reflections of her political position, and where she is in her life. "What are we wearing this year in Star Wars?" smiles McCaig. "In Episode I, she was the Queen, and she was wearing disguises. I once said she should be able to slip out of the back of the costume, and you’d never know she was gone. Ironically, in this one, she’s back to wearing disguises. As well as now hiding this marriage to a Jedi, which is not allowed, she has to hide the fact that she’s going to have babies. All of the costumes had to disguise these facts."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Anakin and Padme...
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2003, 04:15 PM »
Is sounds like Padme will both keep the union with Anakin quiet and the fact that she is pregnant.  Perhaps somehow Anakin won't know that she is pregnant.  Eh, you think he would but maybe he's too busy being shipped off to fight battles during the clone wars to know for certain.  

Offline Darth_BullGates

• Youngling
  • All too easy.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2004, 09:30 PM »
I read a spoiler  that said Padme is the one to tell Obi-Wan she and ANakin are married and that she is pregnant right before Obi-Wan goes to Mustafar to confront Anakin.
Commander, tear this board apart until you find those Hyperspace pics, and bring me the poster I want them alive!!!!

Offline Darth Moribund

• Banned
  • Youngling
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 08:41 AM »
 Damn ! it makes sence tho. This chapter has alot to tell and we're all ears ! It's gonna be good !
Souless eyes hypnotize. Mesmerize the thoughts inside your brain. The pain. The thoughts of going insane ! I will not die in vain !