Author Topic: NFL 2004-05  (Read 45938 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2004
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2004, 01:49 PM »
Some thoughts after week 11:

There is a serious drop off after the top three teams in the league (Pitt, NE and Philly).  Indy is probably next, but I can't include them with the elite because of their sucky ass D. 

An 8-8 team could possibly make the playoffs in the NFC while in the AFC, 10-6 might not make it.

Seattle is not looking like the Super Bowl contender they supposedly were.  Being swept by St. Louis and the most over-rated coach in the league and barely getting by Miami?  I think they'll win the West, but look for an early exit in the playoffs.

The Eagles can win the East this weekend with a win over the Giants.  So much for Gibbs, Parcells and Coughlin.  The "young gun" in the division looks to win it solidily.

The Pats are playing D with an undrafted rookie free agent, a practice squad player named after a 70s band and a wide receiver playing CB and still are winning games.  They survived the supposed offensive juggernauts (StL and KC) and now get a "break" in the next few weeks when they play Baltimore, Cincy, Cleveland and Miami.  Injury issues aside, they look to be in great shape for another playoff run.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Raiders got shalacked again - not surprising.  And to make matters worse, the Rams officially SUCK now too.  So much for this season!   >:(

Guess I'll be rooting for the Pack now!  Nice of the Vikes to roll over for them of late...   8)

So what'd you guys think of that whole MNF broohaha with the Nicolette Sheridan/Desperate Housewives skit with T.O. last week?  I thought it was kinda funny, and think all the drama and fallout, especially Dungee's "racially insensitive" tirade, is just a bunch of B.S.  What a country full of prudes we've got...   ::)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2004, 12:36 AM »
The thing I don't get it is this: obviously, someone - more than likely everyone - had to approve it before it aired. So now, all of a sudden, everyone is having a fit saying it was inappropriate to air. WTF? Why approve it in the first place if you didn't think it was appropriate??

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2004, 12:41 AM »
I'm a little more hopeful this week than I was last week for the Vikes, they will make the playoffs because the NFC is horrible.  They won't go anywhere though because their Defense is horrible

I don't think anyone can hold a candle to the Eagles in the NFC this year and the Steelers, Pats and Colts are all better than the rest of the NFC sans the Eagles.  Then I'd rank the Broncos, Ravens and maybe even the Chargers ahead of Atlanta, Vikings and Packers (and Seahawks I guess), its that bad right now

One noce thing, the Vikes schedule is mild compared to a rather brutal schedule for the Pack the last 6 weeks.  I think the Vikes will take them this year

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2004, 01:12 AM »
My weekly steelers gloating continues but with 7 sacks we had a craptacular game with the Bengals (nicest helmets in the league guys!).

I'm shaken by the fact we're going against the #2 D upcoming, especially after the shenanigans of the last game.  A win is a win, but that one wasn't exactl pretty for my black & gold.

Here's to a win over Washington.  Difficult though, and we're going in with injured offensive weapons.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2004, 01:28 AM »
I must be the only Seahawks fan that knew all the pre-season hype was just  that - hype. 2 losses to the Rams? A loss to the Cards? Barely squeaking past the 1-8 'Fins? And this is the team that everyone was pumping for the Super Bowl??? Our remaining schedule looks easy on paper, but you never know. Buffalo, Dallas, Minnesota, New York Jets, Arizona, and Atlanta - I'll be happy at this point to finish the season 10 - 6, even though our record should have/could have been closer to 13 - 3.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2004, 09:12 AM »
Looks like Bob Marley Ricky Williams is close to reinstatement.  He still needs to approve the deal though.  What happens, he plays again or does he continue ripping bong hits.  And if he does play again, where?  Certainly not Miami, I don't think those players want anything to do with him.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:16 AM by Mikey D »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2004, 09:58 AM »
I would think part of the agreement is that Miami gets to restructure his contract so he can be cut at the end of the year or trade him without the salary cap hit.

I've heard some Miami guys say they would welcome him back and others say no way.  Even if he was there it would have mattered little, their QB's are beyond pathetic

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Congrats to the Eagles, who destroyed the Giants this last weekend (and helped me win in Fantasy Football :)).

Clinching your NFC East Division in Week 12 of 17 is a GREAT accomplishment.

Week-after-week they just crush people.  If this isn't their year to get to the Super Bowl, they'll never get there...   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2004, 03:15 PM »
I must be the only Seahawks fan that knew all the pre-season hype was just  that - hype.  (snip)

Looks that way after getting manhandled by the Bills yesterday.  Possible coaching change coming? 

Speaking of coaching changes, how many openings do you think could be up for grabs at the end of the season (or before, in some cases)?  I think it could be as many as 12:

Definites:
New Orleans Saints
Miami Dolphins
Cleveland Browns

Somewhat Likely:
San Fran 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

Maybes:
Minnesota Vikings
Dallas Cowboys
Washington Redskins
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
St. Louis Rams
KC Chiefs

Obviously, I don't think that many changes are coming, but it is a possibility.  Some of those maybes (Rams, Cowboys, Vikes) are long shots, but it could happen. 

Pats won for the 25th time in 26 games yesterday. Pretty impressive.  They have now scored first in a record 16 straight games.  Snow, rain, domes, shoot outs, pound the ball, it doesn't matter, they just keep winning  ;D   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2004, 08:59 PM »
Steelers with a hard-fought victory.  I'm smelling good things in the playoffs for us, but I'm hesitant to get too zealous on it.  :)

I'm just enjoying watching Rothlesberger play, and watching The Bus roll over opposing defenses.  It's amazing how people took dumps on him saying he should retire then watching him tie personal records for 100 yard games, etc...  I think had our offense been 100% Sunday that we would've had a better game with Washington, but a win is a win so I'm not complaining.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2004, 09:59 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1934933

Butch Davis go bye bye, not that anyone didn't see it coming.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 2, 2004, 01:18 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3211914

Ok I think Ricky Williams 15 minutes is up.....my only question is which personality made the decision and which will regret it tomorrow....

Now if somebody could plant some of Quincy Carter's weed on Vinnie Testeverde, then Dallas could start practicing for 2005......

I am sad that we only have 5 more weeks of regular season Football...where did the time go?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: December 6, 2004, 12:38 AM »
I'd say tonight was Pittsburgh's sloppiest performance, aside from Ben's drive at the end to set up the field goal.  By the way, everyone on that team owes Reed a drink for putting it on target.

Anyway, they're not healthy, but nonetheless the offensive and defensive lines both played like shazbot, and the running game was stifled...  I hated the commentary, and I felt the cameramen did a piss poor job tonight, but I'll agree with the commentators that Bettis should've been doing MOST of the running with Staley regaining his legs in a supporting role...  Not the other way around.

An ugly game, even if a win, and generally poorly played.  I think if this is the effort put forth on the remainder of the schedule, the Steelers won't look too hot going into the playoffs.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 6, 2004, 08:10 AM »
The chemistry of Total Lack thereof in the ESPN booth is what makes any Sunday Night Game VERY HARD to sit through.

I'd almost rather watch the Fox 4th string call a game or maybe next week I'll hit the SAP button, I don't know a lick of Spanish but it has to be better those 3.