Author Topic: NFL 2004-05  (Read 45819 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL 2004
« Reply #135 on: January 4, 2005, 10:16 AM »
I'm a believer that Reid is an idiot for benching his starters like that.  I really can't see how that helps your team at all.  Especially losing and having NO momentum going in to the playoffs

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 4, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Yeah, it's a real shame Carolina or even the Saints didn't make it over the Vikings. Both of them are a lot more deserving, playing better ball of late and would have given some team a better challenge. Saints end with 4 straight wins, Carolina ends winning 6 of 8. The Vikes drop their last 2 and 4 of their last 5, and somehow luck their way into the playoffs due to the wonky tie break system.  ::)

Anyway, here are my picks.

Indy over Denver
SD over NYJ
Packers over Vikes
StL over Sea

NE over Indy
Pitt over SD
Atl over GB
Phi over Stl

Pitt over NE  - Too many weapons on offense and top rated defense in both yds and pts against.

Phi over Atl  - Even without TO, Atl won't win because it's on the road where they finished 4-4 and struggled in 2 of their wins.

Pitt over Phi  - Same reason for them beating NE.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: January 4, 2005, 10:51 AM »
Here's my picks:

NFC

Round 1:
Minnesota over Green Bay
Seattle over Saint Louis

Round 2:
Atlanta over Seattle
Minnesota over Philly - Moss says "TO who?" to the national media.

Champisonship:
Minnesota over Atlanta  - Minnesota avenges the dreadful loss in 99

AFC

Round 1:
Indy over Denver
San Diego over NY Jets

Round 2:
NE over Indy
Steelers over Chargers

Championship:
NE over Pitt

Super Bowl

So, my two Super Bowl teams are the Vikings and the Patriots.  Just as soon as all the Viking fans write them off, the Vikes go on a tear and make it to the big dance.  Scott, despite his better judgement and fearing the inevitable disappointment, gets back on board the Vikings bandwagon; he's caught up in Super Bowl hype.

The day of the big game rolls around only to see the Vikings CRUSHED by the New England Patriots.  :(

The Vikings pourous defense catches up with them and Tom Brady looks like the second coming of Joe Montana circa 1990 as he breaks Montana's Super Bowl TD record with 6 TD passes.

New England 55, Minnesota 10

Scott is found days later wandering the streets of Minneapolis in his underpants muttering, "I just KNEW those f'ing knobblers would lose... WHY OH WHY DID I LET MYSELF BELIEVE?!?"

And somewhere the little Baby Jesus cried... :'(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: January 4, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Is the sky purple in Maplewood today? :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: January 4, 2005, 11:00 AM »
I figure, if you're gonna make predictions, you might as well make them entertaining...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: January 4, 2005, 11:25 AM »
I got this from my buddy (you heard it here first!)

A hunting friend of mine (whose sister is married to Bud Grant's son,
Mike), just told me that Mike Tice will be fired unless they do well in the
playoffs (playoffs) and Bud Grant is in negotiations with Red for a 2
million a year contract to become the new coach...Believe it or not?

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #141 on: January 4, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I'm a believer that Reid is an idiot for benching his starters like that.  I really can't see how that helps your team at all.  Especially losing and having NO momentum going in to the playoffs

The Eagles will once again come up short in their bid to earn a berth in the Super Bowl. And being a fan of another NFC East team, I am tickled with glee at the prospect of another "Close, but..." season for the Eagles. ;D

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #142 on: January 4, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Steelers/Eagles.  (If the Steelers get by Indy-last ime we went ot the super bowl, Indy had one last throw to the end-zone which spliiped through the fingers of their reciever, I can see a "destiny pass" again, but this time it's caught-makes for good press.  I can see it now)

Steelers baby!  Jusat remember, the last team to beat Rothelisberger was.....................IOWA! ;^)

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: January 4, 2005, 09:28 PM »
hehe  :)

Steelers all the way...  The most solid team in the NFL IMO, even if our QB's a youngin'.  Not even saying that as a general Steeler's fan either.  I truly believe this is the best team since the glory days, and with tons of depth...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: January 4, 2005, 10:25 PM »
I'll admit to only see 2 Steeler games this year but I think the main thing that separates the Pats and Steelers is Experience.  Which is why I can't pick Pitt, sorry Jess

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #145 on: January 6, 2005, 10:33 PM »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 6, 2005, 11:11 PM »
Read a great quote about the Vikings today, went something like this:

They have a quarterback that will do everything possible he can to help them win and a wide receiver that still hasn't decided if he'll show up, whether he plays or not. 

Miss Cris Carter much?  I do. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #147 on: January 6, 2005, 11:21 PM »
I'm actually not all that down on 84, he's hands down the most talented guy on the field.  I think he's been hurt since he tore the hammy and just hasn't let anyone know the full extent

And when your teammates on Defense continually let you down, I'd be about fed up too.  The leaving the game early and not trying when they are losing is a son of bitch.  But it goes back to him being slightly mental too.  All accounts are that he's a weird dude, I think that is an understatement.  His teammates love him, I'm a little more positive that I was Monday.  Should be fun...I hope its at least close

And, you all would not believe the absolutely amazing amount of trash talking we've been receiving from our rotund neighbors to the East.  Its sort of never fair since we really have nothing to stand on (no Super Bowls, not Media Darlings, Nobody Sucks off our QB any chance they get) but this week has been so much worse than I ever remember.  The Vikes backing in and totally choking again have not helped...God I hope they win :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: January 6, 2005, 11:26 PM »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 6, 2005, 11:27 PM »
Oh I'm hoping as well, but having been a long time Vikings fan (hello Fran Tarkenton) I just think it's safer to not get my hopes up.  I'll be yapping big time if they win though.  

I don't think GB has really that much better a shot at winning than Minnesota, though I certainly give them the edge.  Their record isn't stellar and the beat the Vikes twice by having Minnesota gas it in the fourth, winning by 3 both times.  If, and it's a massive if, the defensive puts in half an effort and Culpepper can get his side going, Minnesota has a decent shot.  Not really trying to take anything away from GB, but they are not the Patriots.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.