Author Topic: NFL 2006-07  (Read 56851 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL 2006-07
« Reply #210 on: January 8, 2007, 10:51 PM »
Something to consider on the Ravens Jon, they really still manhandled the Steelers in their last game, and the Steelers were playing as well as any team at that point.  Looking past the lack of a playoff run, they were really playing great for their last games and the Ravens still tore them up so I think you're underestimating them from my personal perspective.  I'm definitely going with the Ravens this week.

I'm picking:

SD
Philly
Chicago
Baltimore

I'm horrible at this though, so I maybe just jinxed everyone... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 8, 2007, 11:27 PM »
What the hell, this should be an o-fer:

Seahawks
Saints
Chargers
Colts
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 8, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Something to consider on the Ravens Jon, they really still manhandled the Steelers in their last game, and the Steelers were playing as well as any team at that point.  Looking past the lack of a playoff run, they were really playing great for their last games and the Ravens still tore them up so I think you're underestimating them from my personal perspective.  I'm definitely going with the Ravens this week.

I agree with you Jesse and I feel I'm not underestimating them, just feel that I have to pick a team and until the ravens beat them I'll go with the colts. Two things making it interesting...

-If manning has another game like the last one they're out of the playoffs
-The ravens are this far for a reason and, they're good; certainly McNair makes them
  better a team than in the past VS Colts too.

The last year I played 'Fantasy playoffs' I had McNair on my team and he made it to the super bowl..I only finished second out of 16 teams though and won a little more than my money back :-\
DS

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 9, 2007, 12:33 AM »
I've been seeing Scott and Slothus here talking about how bad Manning was, but I feel compelled to remind you guys that Peyton was 30 for 38 passing (79%) 268 yards and a TD.  He did throw 3 INTs.  That's rare, and his team still killed the Chiefs.  I hardly think completing 30 passes for almost 300 yards qualifies as such a terrible performance.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 9, 2007, 12:56 AM »
Tell that to the Romo haters. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 9, 2007, 08:42 AM »
I've been seeing Scott and Slothus here talking about how bad Manning was, but I feel compelled to remind you guys that Peyton was 30 for 38 passing (79%) 268 yards and a TD.  He did throw 3 INTs.  That's rare, and his team still killed the Chiefs.  I hardly think completing 30 passes for almost 300 yards qualifies as such a terrible performance.

I was about to say the same thing.  If you take the interceptions out, his stats were pretty damn good.  I realize that you can't just ignore the interceptions, but seeing that they really didn't cost the team anything (except perhaps more points), they weren't a huge deal.  For some reason, Ty Law OWNS Peyton Manning, and he continued to show that in the game.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 9, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Yep, nobody gives a **** about the INT's because nothing happened out of them. Which is why it's not adviseable against the higher echelon teams--they're not as likely to be forcing 3 INTs AND resulting in nothing.

Well aware of the comp. percentage and yards--but I don't look at the 'IF' factor ...like 'IF he didn't throw the INT's'...well he did, and you just can't do that to a better team and expect to get away with it is my point is all. It was a tough pick but I did pick the Colts mind you as did many others..it seems like the matchup with the most division in picks.

I see this alot..the 'IF' factor. I could imagine how this factor could be worth a **** if we could use them.
IF the cardinals didn't have all those late fumbles against the Bears...
IF Romo didn't fumble...
IF so and so wasn't hurt and then they played each other...
IF Owens didn't hurt his finger...
IF Seattle RB Alexander didn't get hurt early for FF this year... ::)

ect ect.

So then, who agrees with me that the Colts would make it a lot harder for themselves to win if they threw 3 INT's against any of the teams left in the playoffs minus the nfc of course ? Which was my statement earlier said a different way ;)

DS

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 9, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Yep, nobody gives a **** about the INT's because nothing happened out of them. Which is why it's not adviseable against the higher echelon teams--they're not as likely to be forcing 3 INTs AND resulting in nothing.

Well aware of the comp. percentage and yards--but I don't look at the 'IF' factor ...like 'IF he didn't throw the INT's'...well he did, and you just can't do that to a better team and expect to get away with it is my point is all. It was a tough pick but I did pick the Colts mind you as did many others..it seems like the matchup with the most division in picks.

I see this alot..the 'IF' factor. I could imagine how this factor could be worth a **** if we could use them.
IF the cardinals didn't have all those late fumbles against the Bears...
IF Romo didn't fumble...
IF so and so wasn't hurt and then they played each other...
IF Owens didn't hurt his finger...
IF Seattle RB Alexander didn't get hurt early for FF this year... ::)

ect ect.

etc. etc.

So then, who agrees with me that the Colts would make it a lot harder for themselves to win if they threw 3 INT's against any of the teams left in the playoffs minus the nfc of course ? Which was my statement earlier said a different way ;)

DS

Of course it would be harder for the Colts if Manning threw 3 INTs against the Ravens.  But that last game against the Chiefs was the outlier, for some reason Ty Law just happens to own Peyton Manning and intercepted him twice in the same game.  Ty Law has a history of this against Manning in particular.  However, Manning threw a total of 9 interceptions in 16 games all year.  He is the best quarterback in football right now for sure.  But obviously if you throw 3 interceptions against any team in the playoffs, especially as you get deeper into the rounds, you're probably gonna lose.  Is Manning gonna throw 3 INTs again?  Probably not.  Does that mean the Colts are going to win the Super Bowl?  No, they'll probably lose or not make it that far in some other fashion.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 9, 2007, 03:19 PM »
Of course it would be harder for the Colts if Manning threw 3 INTs against the Ravens.  But that last game against the Chiefs was the outlier, for some reason Ty Law just happens to own Peyton Manning and intercepted him twice in the same game.  Ty Law has a history of this against Manning in particular.  However, Manning threw a total of 9 interceptions in 16 games all year.  He is the best quarterback in football right now for sure.  But obviously if you throw 3 interceptions against any team in the playoffs, especially as you get deeper into the rounds, you're probably gonna lose.  Is Manning gonna throw 3 INTs again?  Probably not.  Does that mean the Colts are going to win the Super Bowl?  No, they'll probably lose or not make it that far in some other fashion.

Ect Ect

Yes, I agree Manning is one of the best. Like to compare him to D. Marino in that ..yeah, stats are great but SB=0.
I guess year in year out that's the only thing preventing me giving him the best title alone. Until he wins the 'big game'
to even get him to the big game or win that...I just can't crown him yet. Actually, when it comes to P. Manning alot of folks say this too...." Stats, yeah...but big game...?". So, I feel there are other factors besides stats that make a 'best' QB in my eye.   

Honestly, I don't know where the assumptions came in that I didn't think he was good. I simply mentioned if he threw another game like that(3 int's-no IFS here he threw 3!) his season is over(which is a no given statement that folks looked into too much?). Never denied he's a good QB-I even like his commercials ;).

DS

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2007, 11:49 AM »
-I even like his commercials ;).

You're crazy.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Yes, I got at least one pick right the first day this weekend! ;D

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2007, 11:20 PM »
Phew, Saints over Eagles..one of 2 games I was worried about of my picks.
I wonder if TO knew his supposed/accused, former 'weak-armed' QB just broke a team record for longest TD postseason pass. Even longer than Donavan could throw... :). J. Garcia threw it 55 in the air..loved it, I like watching him do well.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2007, 05:13 PM »
SHould be a good game next week in the Saint vs Bears.  Bears are lucky to have won that game.  I hate seeing them win.  I also am annoyed by the "New America's Team" talk for the Saints.  Does anyone really cheer more for them because of the ******* hurricane?  Come on ::)  I guess I'll be rooting for the AFC team...and out of the Chargers, Pats and Colts I generally like all three.  I'll be rooting for the Colts but could care less really

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2007, 05:31 PM »
I like the Saints for a few reasons.  I wouldn't call them the new America's team by any stretch.  But I think that people want good things for New Orleans since things are still so messed up in NOLA as well as the rest of the Gulf region.  The storm was devastating, and if the Saints can give those people SOMETHING to keep their spirits high, then I'm all for it.

As for the team itself, I think they did some good things for themselves in the offseason.  Getting Drew Brees was big.  He's a good QB who makes the right decisions.  Deuce McAllister coming back after his ACL injury has been great.  Marques Colston is probably the best rookie WR this year.  Sean Payton has been doing really well in his first season as a head coach.  Oh, and did I mention Reggie Bush?  He got off to a slow start, but he looks like he's going to be a great pro.  So they're comparable with a lot of teams as far as their skill positions go.  But I'm still puzzled about why the Redskins were able to manhandle them.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I wouldn't call them the new America's team by any stretch.

You might not, Nick...but the press sure has