Author Topic: In Memory of Those Who Died  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: In Memory of those who died
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 08:45 AM »
I remember getting to work and getting my lesson together that I was going to teach that day.  Somebody came in and told me to watch TV, so I flipped it on just after the second plane hit. 

Within seconds, I knew it had to be a terrorist attack.  I walked out to my car and grabbed my cell that I had left there and called my reserve base and asked if they were needing anybody else when the upped the threatcon.  They said they'd get back to me.

A month later my entire security forces squadron was mobilized and scattered all over the world.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
September 11 - The Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 02:12 PM »
I can't believe it's been five years.

I remember coming home from the gym that morning and turning on the news.  The first plane had struck, and everyone was still trying to figure out if it was an accident or what.  Then the second plane hit....

What an absolutely insane period of time that was.

Anyone else watching the TV show with Harvey Keitel and Donnie Wahlburg?  I cought most of it last night (what can I say...I don't have Peyton on my FF team this year, so it hurts to watch him play), and I thought it was pretty good.

I'll leave the accuracy arguments out, because it's a dramatization, but it sure makes you think.

It's weird that Donnie Wahlburg was an NKOTB.  He was kind of a bad ass in the show.

I also thought it was funny that the dad from The Wonder Years played George Tenet.  I remember seeing pictures of George Tenet at certain angles and thinking, "Jeez, he looks kinda like the dad from The Wonder Years."

God bless those that lost their lives that day, and since.  And bless those that they left behind.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: In Memory of those who died
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 02:45 PM »
I can't believe its been four years.  I will never forget holding my 1 week old son, celebrating the most joyous, overwhelming, wonderful thing that had ever happened in our lives and at the same time watching the most horrible, overwhelming, hateful thing that had ever happened in our lives.  God Bless everyone who lost their lives, who lost loved ones, those who gave their lives and those who work to preserve and defend our freedom.  May we never forget.  God Bless America.

All I can say is what I said last year, only that I can't believe its been five years already.  I saw a story yesterday about the babies that were born after their fathers were killed on 9/11 and how they and their mothers are doing now.  Some of the children were born within hours of the attacks, while some of the mothers didn't even know they were pregnant yet.  It was very humbling to be reminded that while our lives have pretty much gone on as before, there are many people whose daily lives were forever changed. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: September 11 - The Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 05:09 PM »
Anyone else watching the TV show with Harvey Keitel and Donnie Wahlburg?  I cought most of it last night (what can I say...I don't have Peyton on my FF team this year, so it hurts to watch him play), and I thought it was pretty good.

I watched the one on CBS.  It was very moving.  It gives you a whole new aspect of what the firefighters went through and are still going through now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 06:08 PM »

Too bad it wasn't very accurate.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 08:12 PM »

Too bad it wasn't very accurate.

Well no ****, it's got former NKOTB Donnie Wahlburg as a bad ass.

But still, pretty good ;)
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: In Memory of Those Who Died
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 10:18 PM »
RIP firefighter, police officers, office workers, airline pilots/strewds, passengers, military personel, who died that day.   

Now that we have gotten some movies its scary to see what it was like being at the WTC and the other sites.  Oliver's Stones "WTC" showed something that I figure happened but for some reason thought maybe it didn't.  Seeing the rescue personel in taking care of the injuried in the lobby of tower 2 got to me.  I figured that happened back then but never relised how bad it actually was in reality.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
Remembering the lost of 9/11
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 12:52 PM »
On a different note, I just wanted to take a moment and remember those lost in 9/11 and it's aftermath...

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Seemed like yesterday that this event took place.  On the  6th of this month I took a tour of the Pentagon which took me to the site of the crash there.  They turned that office into a shrine for all of the victims of that horrible day.  Sad to see the Death toll rise to 2,974 people with the addition of that one person who died of lung disease caused by the toxic cloud.  Wonder how high the toll will go up in the coming years. :'(

To the families and friends of those killed and injured on this day six years ago my deepest sympathy goes too you.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I went to NYC this weekend to visit family in Manhattan and was very surprised when my flight flew right over ground zero on the way into LaGuardia.

I guess they lifted the no-flights-over-Manhattan thing eh?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 08:32 PM »
I don't think there was ever a true ban on flights over Manhattan.  That would kill flights to Laguardia and JFK.

I do know they had a no fly zone over the WTC site for a while, but I don't think that lasted a year.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 08:50 PM »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 01:23 AM »
I forgot to mention that I wore my FDNY patch on my uniform today, as I have the past anniversaries.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CaptainAlex

• Jedi Initiate
  • It's the final countdown.....
    • View Profile
    • Captain Alex & the Shrimp Shack Shooters
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Another year and you know I decided to read some of the news reports from 9/11/01, 9/12/01 & 9/13/01.

Those reports are so raw and so powerful and still do hold just as true today.

The part that still gets me are the children who were murdered on that day. The pictures of these bright smiling children and babies who did nothing to no one just break my heart. They did nothing wrong except to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

As a parent of three little ones my duty as a father is to love, teach and protect. Those parents were helpless. They couldn't have done anything to save themselves or their children.

How scared were they? All you could do as one of those parents is hold your child and comfort them in those final moments.

How crazy is that?

And what makes me mad is public enemy number 1 is still alive and producing propaganda while our government took its eye off of this ******* and went to war with the wrong enemy.

Those children and all those innocents died and we haven't brought those main criminals to justice. Capture Bin laden and his top people, bring them to trial, and then lock him up at the SuperMax for life and let him die a man alone and without hope.
Living and dying in 3/4 time....

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 02:52 AM »

As a parent of three little ones my duty as a father is to love, teach and protect. Those parents were helpless. They couldn't have done anything to save themselves or their children.

How scared were they? All you could do as one of those parents is hold your child and comfort them in those final moments.

I know, and being a father now, nothing in the world makes more more sick than the thought of something happening to my son... in fact, I was almost in a terrible car accident on the highway this evening as my timing belt broke and it sounded like me engine exploded... I lost control of my car, and could barely steer, the breaks would not work and I couldn't get gas - this all happened as I was passing a semi on the highway.  It happened to be less than 5 minutes after I dropped off my son back at the house.  When I almost got hit, all I could think about was "Thank God Kiefer's not in the car with me" because I honestly thought I was going to get killed for a couple seconds.  Everyone flying by me was going 70-80 or so miles per hours while my car loses all power.  I can't believe I didn't get smoked by that semi - if he hadn't been paying attention and hit his breaks in time, there's no telling what would have happened.