Author Topic: Robocop (Hot Toys): Mini Review and Photoshop Pics  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Sith Lord 0498

• Youngling
  • Sith Lording since 1993!!
    • View Profile
Robocop (Hot Toys): Mini Review and Photoshop Pics
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:45 PM »
Here's a mini-review of the Hot Toys Robocop 1/6 scale figure being distributed state-side by Sideshow Collectibles.

Paint Application: 5

Perfect paint job (with one exception...it's at the very end of the review).  Very metallic in appearance and even has some color shifting properties.

Articulation: 4

Granted, Robocop doesn't have the full range of motion that regular humans would have, and that translates over into the figure.  However, there are certain moves that Peter Weller pulled off in the film that the figure can't do such as swing his arm back at a greater angle or cross his arm across his chest.

Sculpt: 5

While I'm sure it's not 100% accurate to the original Robocop suit, the figure is beautiful designed.  The rubber parts of the film suit are actually rubber on the figure.  The armor is made of harder plastic.  The details are all etched into the figure's body as well as painted.

Easy of Assembly: 3

This is technically a model kit along the same lines as a Kotobukiya model.  Robocop comes with the following parts:  head, torso, arms, legs.  The head is a severe pain in the rear to attach for two reasons.  First, the neck joint keeps slipping around.  Second, you have to be mindful of where your hands are on the torso because the connector rings near the neck are very fragile.  One slip, and you'll break them.  The head took me nearly 20 minutes to attach.

The arms and legs...they're a breeze, but do attach the non-holster leg first.  That way, you can put pressure on it while attaching the more fragile leg.

Fun Factor: 5

This is the ultimate Robocop!!!  Fans of the character will not be disappointed.  You'll see just how much fun I've had with this figure in the Photoshop pictures that I'll be posting very shortly. :)

There is one caveat with this figure.  When the figures were made, the factory made a grievous error.  More than just a few of the heads were placed in the plastic packaging trays before fully dried.  Therefore, many Robos have varying degrees of paint damage on the head because they stuck to the packaging.

Terrible quality control, but I didn't let it detract from the awesomeness of this figure.
"The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader."

Reviewer/Graphic Designer - yodasnews.com

www.pswcs.com

Offline Sith Lord 0498

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Robocop (Hot Toys): Mini Review and Photoshop Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Now, here are the Photoshop composites I've done using the Hot Toys Robocop figure.

www.pswcs.com

Offline Sith Lord 0498

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:47 PM »
Some of the upcoming pics have elements of the film directly incorporated into the figure.  I've digitally grafted either part or all of Peter Weller's unmasked face onto several shots, and I created a full "digital model" of the HT figure with movie-sampled/modified battle damage (but that will be in the next posting).

www.pswcs.com

Offline Sith Lord 0498

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:49 PM »

www.pswcs.com

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I'm not much into the 12" scale but I want this figure sooooooooooooooooo damn badly. I almost caved at a recent con but they were asking $150 and up for it....

Offline Sith Lord 0498

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I'm not much into the 12" scale but I want this figure sooooooooooooooooo damn badly. I almost caved at a recent con but they were asking $150 and up for it....

Order one from Corner Store Comics.  They're still available for $115 plus shipping.

www.pswcs.com