Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349645 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Official Movie Thread
« on: March 16, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Sorry if this is already done, tried looking and didn't see a thread already.  Just thought it might be nice to have a thread to discuss movies...what is out, what's coming out, what you want to see, or your favorites of all time.  Whatever you want to talk about that is movie related.  Also, here's a look at what is coming:

Out Now

The Passion of the Christ
Secret Window
Starsky and Hutch
Hidalgo
Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London
50 First Dates
Twisted
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (re-released)
Spartan
Miracle
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights
Eurotrip

Coming This Week (3/19)

Dawn of the Dead
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Taking Lives

Coming Next Week (3/26)

Jersey Girl
The Ladykillers
Never Die Alone
Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

Opening April 2

Hellboy
Home on the Range
The Prince and Me
Walking Tall

I just listed the Nationwide releases, and I'm sure I'm still missing some...but its a starting point at least.  We haven't been very good at getting the movies we'd like to see lately, and will probably have to wait and see a few on DVD.  We were hoping to catch "The Passion of the Christ", "Hidalgo", "Starsky and Hutch" and I wanted to see "Return of the King" again in theatres.  Also, coming up, we are thinking about going to Jersey Girl and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...and although I have never read the comic and know little to nothing about the character, I kind of think the movie Hellboy looks cool.  We'll see how many we can make it too, I've always enjoyed the movie experience, and could probably go to one every week if there were enough good ones and we had the time.  Anyways...anything movies...discuss  :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:37 PM by mosnab »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 03:51 PM »
Im looking forward to Dawn of the Dead. Any scifi/slasher/killer zombie movie is A-OK in my book!

I know little about Hellboy, but being a comic book fan, Ill be sure to catch it sometime. Im also Hyped about Jersey Girl, because well, come on, its Kevin Smith. Whats not to like? (Vulgar comes to mind but shhh..thats neither here nor now.)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 07:01 PM »
Two thoughts:

1.  Kevin Smith sucks.

2.  Why the f--k didn't they call it "Scooby Two"?

EDIT:

I'll add "in my opinion" to number one.  And also, mosnab, you've got the month wrong on the March releases.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:05 PM by Billy Corgan »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Oops, sorry about that....fixed it now.  Thanks for pointing that out :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 09:40 PM »
I liked Clerks and MallRats, Chasing Amy was good from a geek point of view, I really didn't care for either Dogma or Jay and Silent Bob (especially the latter)...I'll see Jersey Girl, not one of those drag your pregnant wife to go see a movie type of movies but definitely will check it out down the road

The HellBoy trailer looked pretty neat, never read anything about him/her/it, seen the action figures around and like I said, the trailer looked pretty neat

Couple of movies later this year I'll be interested in:  

I know my wife will want to see Troy opening 5/14/04 starring her current hunky hearthrob Legolas and Brad Pitt.  I think Pitt is an awesome actor, I won't complain too much about going

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (6/4/04), generally love the books, like the movies, will see this one, the same tired formula of the first two sort of plays out again, not until Goblet does the story get really different and good...

Terminal, gotta see Tom Hanks, really gotta see Steven Spielberg, no brainer here

An immigrant (Hanks) from a tiny Eastern European country fleeing war is stuck in a New York City airport terminal when the war causes his nation to cease to exist, nullifying his passport and paperwork. Homeless, he lives in the terminal, befriending the staff and falling in love with a flight attendant (Zeta-Jones).

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (6/25/04)...I was intrigued enough by the trailer at ROTK to want to at least rent this...not having grown up in the 40's (Dale) and 50's (Brent) the homage might be lost, but I thought it looked keen

Spider-Man 2 (7/2/04), I thought the original was great, wasn't expecting much because most fanboy reaction was pretty mixed, I like Toby Maguire though as an actor so that may have something to do with it, I thought he was perfect as Peter Parker

King Arthur (7/7/04) This era has been on my list of things I wanted to see in the movies for a long time, the craptacular Richard Gere First Knight did little to quench that thirst, sort of a Braveheart with armor sort of thing.  Don't really know much about this only that Kiera Knightly is in it...va va va voom!

Anchorman (7/7/04) Will Ferrell...'nuff said (for me at least)

The Village (7/30/04) M. Night Shyamalan...again 'nuff said

That's all for now

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 01:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to Eternal Sunshine, Jersey Girl, Spider-Man 2, Troy, and King Arthur.

I went to see Hildalgo this past weekend, and loved it. Viggo has a funny Western accent, but he's a good surly cowboy.

The Passion of the Christ I probably won't see until the DVD. No desire to see it anymore.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 09:12 AM »
Well looking ahead, these movies are on my to see list:

Dawn of the Dead, worth a shot, Troy, looks way to cool & the shot with those thousand ships  :o   Shrek 2, good for a laugh, The Day After Tomorrow, effects looks awesome, Spider-Man 2, I like Spidy, Thunderbirds, I'm a Gerry Anderson fan, Alien vs. Predator, we shall see.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,  reminds me of...

Nothing wrong with the 30's, 40's or 50's look!  :P

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 10:58 AM »
I am really looking forward to:

Jersey Girl - Liv Tyler is in it, longer then J-Ho! You gotta see that!  Plus, it does look like a great film, Kevin Smith isn't doing something so stupid now!

Passion of the Christ -  Saw it, Loved it, enough said!

Dawn of the Dead -  I am sooooo! excited to see this movie, these zombie's eating brains films, scare the s*** out of me!  Has anyone seen the original?

Not to thriled about Hellboy, or Harry Potter!

Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 12:34 PM »
I'm going to be seeing Passion in a week or so.

I plan on seeing Dawn of the Dead as well as Hellboy, too. Hellboy looks rather interesting - Dawn of the Dead just looks like a good ol' Zombie movie.

Where the hell is Kill Bill 2?

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 02:02 PM »
Oh Yea!

I though it was going to released in February?.

I just read Greg's Previews over at Yahoo! Movies.

And it scheduled for an April 16th release?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 02:04 PM by Mainland05 »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 03:16 PM »
The few things I know about Hellboy I got from his couple of guest shots in Savage Dragon.  The movie looks pretty cool, definitely a matinee showing.

I like Kevin Smith and Affleck doesn't bother me in the slightest (I seem to be in the minority here), so I'm interested in seeing what KS does without the dick and fart jokes.  Probably not a theater experience, but definitely a rental.

Spiderman 2:  Can't wait.  Spidey is my favorite comic character and I loved the first flick.  I thought it had perfect casting from Tobey and Willem to Kirsten and the dude who played JJ Jameson.  It looks like it continues with Molina as Doc Ock.

Nothing else really jumps out at me as a must see.  If I get some time, which may not be much with the new house, I might see some others.  

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Further out, some of the others mentioned above that I am really looking forward to as well.  First among those is Spiderman 2.  I never actually got a chance to see the first one in the theatres (one of very few, I know), although we own the DVD now.  Spidey 2 is even more exciting to me because Doc Ock was always my favorite Spidey villain.  We'll be sure to catch that one.  I'm also interested in seeing Anchorman, because of Will Ferrell, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow looked somewhat interesting as well.  We haven't ever actually seen any of the Harry Potter movies at all, so I guess I don't know that much about them.  I've always been curious to rent one to see what they were like.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 09:22 PM »
Ah yes, Harry Potter.  Forgot about that one.  PoA is probably my favorite of the books, so I'll definitely be seeing that one in the theaters.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 12:24 PM »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 02:14 PM »
All they can do is remake movies because of CGI. What, running out of ideas!  ::)