Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349683 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1290 on: August 11, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Well when you see it, you'll notice quite a few setups for future movies ;)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1291 on: August 18, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 18, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Do they really have to remake every single movie from the 80's ?   ::)  Just saw the trailer for The Thing the other day...doesn't look too bad, but still.  No original ideas in Hollywood anymore.

Weekend at Bernies is so screaming for a reboot.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 18, 2011, 02:45 PM »

Wouldn't that be dead in the water?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 18, 2011, 03:21 PM »

Wouldn't that be dead in the water?

;D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Ridley Scott to direct new Blade Runner film

Blasphemy, just watched the original a few nights ago and it is utterly perfect as is. You simply cannot improve upon that movie.

One thing has always bugged me though - the math in that movie does not add up. Decker is told that 6 replicants escaped, one got fried offscreen. That leaves 5: take away Rutger Hauer, Brion James, Daryl Hannah and that chick with the snake and that still leaves one replicant completely unaccounted for. WTF?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 18, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Um, Deckard is one... per Ridley Scott.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1297 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53 PM »
One thing has always bugged me though - the math in that movie does not add up. Decker is told that 6 replicants escaped, one got fried offscreen. That leaves 5: take away Rutger Hauer, Brion James, Daryl Hannah and that chick with the snake and that still leaves one replicant completely unaccounted for. WTF?

There have been so many cuts of the movie, I have no idea what you should believe when it comes to how many escaped replicants there are:

- In the first cut, it was six escaped - 4 on the loose, 1 fried off-screen, 1 unaccounted for.
- In the extended cut, they dubbed it to be five escaped - 4 on the loose, 1 fried off screen
- In the "final" cut, it was six escaped - 4 on the loose, and dubbed it to be 2 fried off-screen

Also, in the first cut they specifically say "3 males, 3 females" and then point out that it was a male that was fried offscreen ("he"), which would mean the sixth was a female to join snake-lady and Pris.  Couldn't be Deckard... unless he is also a transgender Blade Runner.

The "missing" replicant was caused by a script change and no one caught the error until they were well into filming.  In the initial draft of the movie, there were indeed six escaped replicants - 3 male: Fried Off-Screen Guy, Roy, Leon and 3 female: Pris, Zhora, and someone named Mary who was dropped out - check out this original script.

Mary is with Roy and Pris at Sebastian's apartment and gets killed there in the original draft.  For some reason, she got dropped out of the movie.  Some scenes were moved around to try to make those "escaped" numbers add up, but no matter how they arranged it, it conflicted something else so they just sort of left it in there.

So, Ridley Scott can say, 'Oh Deckard was always a replicant' all he wants, but whatever dude. 

Not that anyone asked me, but in my world, Rachel is and Deckard isn't.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01 AM »
So, Ridley Scott can say, 'Oh Deckard was always a replicant' all he wants, but whatever dude. 

I agree, Jeff. It seems kind of forced that Deckard is a replicant. But I guess this is how we feel about the prequels not adding up to the classic trilogy.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 19, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Of course if they actually follow the book, it would be completely different movie.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 19, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Of course if they actually follow the book, it would be completely different movie.

That is true. Blade Runner is very loosely based on the book.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 20, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Wow, thanks Jeff, that was super-enlightening. I never knew the backstory on that detail but your explanation makes sense.

I have only seen the re-cut once - I did not care for the lack of narration, that adds so much IMO.

And yeah, definitely agree Rachel is and Deckard isn't.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 20, 2011, 10:35 AM »

There have been so many cuts of the movie, I have no idea what you should believe when it comes to how many escaped replicants there are:

- In the first cut, it was six escaped - 4 on the loose, 1 fried off-screen, 1 unaccounted for.
- In the extended cut, they dubbed it to be five escaped - 4 on the loose, 1 fried off screen
- In the "final" cut, it was six escaped - 4 on the loose, and dubbed it to be 2 fried off-screen

Also, in the first cut they specifically say "3 males, 3 females" and then point out that it was a male that was fried offscreen ("he"), which would mean the sixth was a female to join snake-lady and Pris.  Couldn't be Deckard... unless he is also a transgender Blade Runner.

The "missing" replicant was caused by a script change and no one caught the error until they were well into filming.  In the initial draft of the movie, there were indeed six escaped replicants - 3 male: Fried Off-Screen Guy, Roy, Leon and 3 female: Pris, Zhora, and someone named Mary who was dropped out - check out this original script.

Mary is with Roy and Pris at Sebastian's apartment and gets killed there in the original draft.  For some reason, she got dropped out of the movie.  Some scenes were moved around to try to make those "escaped" numbers add up, but no matter how they arranged it, it conflicted something else so they just sort of left it in there.

Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie of all time and I think Deckard is definitely a replicant, and that it's more than just a ret-con attempt to make the number of replicants mentioned by Bryant make sense (though as Jeff mentioned, that's editing error; if Deckard were one of the six escaped replicants, why wouldn't Roy or one of the others just say, "Hey dude, you're one of us").

For instance there is a scene in Deckard's apartment where he turns his head and his eye has the replicant glow for a few seconds--that's been in every single version.  And then there's the whole thing about the origami unicorn and Gaff trailing Deckard and everything that just doesn't make sense if Deckard isn't a replicant.  The original theatrical cut with the narration subdues the notion the most, but even the tacked on ending doesn't completely dispel it entirely.  The Director's and Ultimate cuts leave virtually no doubt.

If Deckard isn't a replicant, then what is the point of the unicorn?

Incidentally, this is a great book about the movie.  If you like Blade Runner at all, it's a must read.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Read the book. You'll find there is a full shadow police department full of replicants only.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39 PM »
I'll have to pick it up again. It's been about 15 years since I've read it. A lot of things are shady about the plot.