Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349715 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1410 on: April 1, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Not current, but I just watched Drive last night and man was I pleasantly surprised at the quality of that movie. Ryan Gosling is really quite good in it, as are all the supporting actors. Highly recommended.

I must not have gotten it. I hated Drive. I nearly fell asleep watching it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 2, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Hunger Games was the third biggest opening of all time, falling behind the last Harry Potter movie and the Dark Knight flick.  Wow. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1412 on: April 4, 2012, 11:57 PM »
Not current, but I just watched Drive last night and man was I pleasantly surprised at the quality of that movie. Ryan Gosling is really quite good in it, as are all the supporting actors. Highly recommended.

I must not have gotten it. I hated Drive. I nearly fell asleep watching it.

I am at a loss for words with just how awful Drive was.  I'd heard so many good things... and I'm baffled as to why.  I can appreciate a good drama, don't get me wrong.  I wasn't expecting Fast & Furious.  But this was like "Slow Motion - The Movie."  "Let's linger for 90 seconds on Gosling's vacant stare."  I really... I mean... was there some underlying literary homage or something I didn't see?  I kind of connected with the romance until the chick's husband showed up... then it didn't make much sense.  And the decisions made by the characters... I've seen better judgement from Bond villains.  I'm just dumbfounded.  Mystified.  (ok, maybe being at a loss for words isn't my main problem here...)  I don't know if I've seen another movie that so totally didn't sync up with my expectations.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 8, 2012, 12:08 PM »
This is probably old news but Harrison Ford will play Colonel Graff in the upcoming Ender's Game movie. Funny thing is the actor that will plays Graff's assistant is a kid named Han Soto.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1414 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I don't get the positive review Cabin in the Woods was getting because it was pretty terrible. Not sure if it was meant to be scary or funny but the apparent scary parts made me laugh.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1415 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I don't get the positive review Cabin in the Woods was getting because it was pretty terrible. Not sure if it was meant to be scary or funny but the apparent scary parts made me laugh.
The Minneapolis paper was absolutely gushing about Cabin in the Woods this week.  From what I read they said it was a "smarter" Scream.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 14, 2012, 06:22 PM »
I don't watch many movies anymore, but I did recently make time for last year's remake of The Thing, which (SPOILER ALERT!) actually turns out to be a nifty bookend prequel to the Carpenter version. I liked that a lot. The movie itself was ok, not an embarrassment to the franchise at all. I thought the conception of the actual alien in (presumably) its unaltered state was pretty cool.

Somewhat less satisfying was Darkest Hour, which I watched last night. Aliens are somehow just less exciting when they're invisible.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Saw Cabin in the Woods today....I've been hooked on horror flicks since I was a boy.  This movie was no different until almost the end.  Nice twist!   >:D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #1418 on: April 21, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Wow...I  loooooved drive.  I liked the slow pace and the odd choices of dialog.  I also went nuts for the music.  That movie was just so different and cool.

I also thought that Cabin in the Woods was fantastic.  Funny or scary, it was entertaining.  And the last third was very unexpected.  And any movie these days that can surprise me is aces in my book.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:42 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Saw Cabin in the Woods today....I've been hooked on horror flicks since I was a boy.  This movie was no different until almost the end.  Nice twist!   >:D
All Whedonites must see this film!  His style is all over it!  Spoilers:
I literally LOL'd at the unicorn scene.  Absolute genius!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1420 on: April 23, 2012, 09:41 AM »
We finally saw Hunger Games yesterday.  My faith in humanity already at an all time low went further with the fact that there were several young children in the audience (under 10 for sure)

I'm starting to be like Brent and will not go to the movie theater unless I really, really have to (ie Avengers)

AS far as the movie...awesome.  It was really well done, as others have said, faithful to the book and all around a great movie.  I still do not get how this became a teen girl deal but whatever...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04 PM »
I think it was marketed as a Young Adult series because that's the growing segment and it involves teens.  Probably intended initially to capitalize on the Twilight crowd, but it has clearly grown well beyond that target.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51 PM »
I still do not get how this became a teen girl deal but whatever...

Like Twilight, it has a teenaged female lead. Like Twilight, there's the love triangle. Unlike Twilight, it's a better story. (I know you didn't mention Twilight in your post, Scott, but I know there were comparisons out there.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10 AM »
We finally saw Hunger Games yesterday.  My faith in humanity already at an all time low went further with the fact that there were several young children in the audience (under 10 for sure)

I'm starting to be like Brent and will not go to the movie theater unless I really, really have to (ie Avengers)

AS far as the movie...awesome.  It was really well done, as others have said, faithful to the book and all around a great movie.  I still do not get how this became a teen girl deal but whatever...

Bad Scott, Bad.  Do not emulate me.  I read the comments about marathons preceding the Avengers in the other thread.  A full theater for 12 hours?  I'd never get out of prison because there's no way I wouldn't kill someone over that time span.  Best to just stay away. 

We aren't even letting our daughter, who just turned 12, read the Hunger Games books at this point.  She knows the whole story and premise, but there's no rush. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1424 on: April 24, 2012, 07:15 AM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird