Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350534 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1710 on: October 14, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Saw Blade Runner 2049 tonight. Absolutely excellent. Looked awesome. Great story. Makes you think and confused, but in a good way. I also thought the 160 minutes went by fast.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1711 on: October 15, 2017, 03:03 AM »
It's a gorgeous movie. See it on the biggest screen you can. Steps on its on toes a few times, but all in all, a fantastic movie that functions very well on its own as well as a sequel.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 5, 2018, 01:07 AM »
In a surprise, Netflix acquired Cloverfield sequel "The Cloverfield Particle" which was previously going to be released in theaters as God Particle.

It kind of sucks. I loved the first Cloverfield and loved 10CL but this was a mess, and definitely felt like a "Made for Netflix" movie. I guess it explains why Cloverfield happens, but then goes on to create more questions from there.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 5, 2018, 10:12 AM »
In a surprise, Netflix acquired Cloverfield sequel "The Cloverfield Particle" which was previously going to be released in theaters as God Particle.

It kind of sucks. I loved the first Cloverfield and loved 10CL but this was a mess, and definitely felt like a "Made for Netflix" movie. I guess it explains why Cloverfield happens, but then goes on to create more questions from there.

How did you see it already?

This blew my head off when I saw the ad, I had no idea they were doing another sequel and I thought it looked amazing. Please God, give us toys!  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1714 on: February 5, 2018, 10:39 AM »
The movie was ok. Not as good as the others for sure. Worth a watch, but very reminiscent of Event Horizon and Life. Among others.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1715 on: February 5, 2018, 02:47 PM »
It was cruel to announce that film during the Super Bowl when I had to work the next morning.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 5, 2018, 05:39 PM »
How did you see it already?

This blew my head off when I saw the ad, I had no idea they were doing another sequel and I thought it looked amazing. Please God, give us toys!  ;D

The movie was up as soon as the Super Bowl ended, so around 9:30 CST. Still plenty of time to watch before bedtime. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1717 on: February 6, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Some of us eastern folks had to get up at early the next day for work.

I watched it yesterday.  It was pretty decent.  Some stuff didn't make any sense in the framework they set up.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 6, 2018, 09:41 AM »
I watched it last night, wasn't exactly what I was hoping for...nothing in there at all about the Tagruato Corporation for example. At least we got a Slusho reference.

I think I would have preferred seeing more of what was happening on Earth as opposed to the station. I guess they didn't have the budget.

I didn't really have a lot of questions afterwards, I felt like they pretty much tied everything up, at least as far as the first movie goes. Little harder to see how it ties into the 2nd movie though. Gonna have to think about that more.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: March 31, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Saw Ready Player One and loved it.  I've read the book twice (finished the second time just last week in anticipation) and while the spirit and general theme of the book is in the movie, there's some drastic changes.  I understand why it was done (who wants to watch two avatars playing Joust and acting out War Games?), but I went in expecting 80s pop culture up the wazoo and that's what I got.  If you're expecting a straight adaptation of the novel, you'll be disappointed.

It'll take a long time to analyze the cameos, references and assorted call outs contained within.  Looking forward to seeing it again.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 1, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I've read the book as well, and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing the movie. Quick question, do you think it is safe for a ten year old to see? Our daughter wants to go as well, but I wanted to make sure. She has seen all the Marvel Studios movies, which are PG-13, so I was thinking it would probably be ok. I don't remember the book having anything too bad other than some swearing.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 1, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Depends.  There are a few curse words, including one use of **** and the second key challenge might be a bit intense for her (I don't want to spoil it but it's based on a scary movie).  My twelve year boy jumped a bit.  Other than that, it's similar in action to the MCU movies.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 2, 2018, 09:20 AM »
... I understand why it was done (who wants to watch two avatars playing Joust and acting out War Games?)...

I DO! That would totally ruin the movie for me.  :-[
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 2, 2018, 03:27 PM »
I'm on the fence about Ready Player One...  I loved the book so much and the movie makes many significant changes.  Having said that... it all circles back to the same place.  After thinking about the movie, I understand why the changed things they way they did.  It probably works better for the movie format but there were things in the book that I really wanted to see on the big screen. 

I was an enjoyable movie and my son (who hadn't read the book) liked it a lot.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 5, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Been a busy few weeks...finally carved out time to see Pacific Rim Uprising. I loved the first one but went in with pretty low expectations this time around, based on early buzz, some of the casting choices, etc. But I thought it was actually surprisingly pretty good. I guess my main complaint is it took awhile to get going, but I thought the overall plot was very clever and I liked a lot of the story avenues they explored. (at least the ones not involving human characters)

Now I feel pretty good about buying more toys too.  ;D