Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349679 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2005, 12:12 AM »
For the love of God, please go see Napolean Dynomite. Funniest show of the year, yes, funnier than Anchorman.

Hey Brad, I finally saw this last month.  It was funnier than anchorman.  But the real big news is not that I have no life, its this sweet bit...

http://spawn.com/news/news2.aspx?id=12577

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2005, 12:15 AM »
UGH! Not better than Anchorman!!!

"I killed a man!"

"I know, I saw!"

"With a Trident!"

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Caught Hitchhiker's Guide this afternoon. It's a solid B and mostly for Douglas Adams fans, and even then there will be plenty of complaints about things that have been abridged, altered, or made moviegoer-friendly. Anyone else will probably be scratching their heads through most of the movie.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2005, 02:35 PM »
I didn't scratch my head. I never read the books, so I just sat back and enjoyed the flick.

Kevin

SilverZ

« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2005, 04:03 PM »
That's good to hear. The theater I was in was deadly quiet during sequences I would have thought funny, or even just memorable. It was one of those times where I felt I was liking something 98% of people surrounding me hated.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2005, 04:52 PM »
It was one of those times where I felt I was liking something 98% of people surrounding me hated.

Kind of like that one time in Prison? :P

Kevin

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 2, 2005, 09:17 AM »
I'm kind of interested in seeing this film too, from what I've read online and seen in the trailers...but I was curious if I would just be lost since I haven't read the books.  I heard this morning that it finished #1 at the box office for the weekend, so that's good to hear.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 2, 2005, 01:06 PM »
Hitchhikers kinda sucked because it wasn’t funny, the only people laughing in the theatre were two older SF-filking type ladies.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2005, 10:11 PM »
Has anyone seen Batman Begins yet? Any personal reviews?

I'm hoping to catch this flick in a couple of weeks.  8)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2005, 10:30 PM »
I have a poorly-worded review stuck on my blog (which can be accessed by hitting that little homepage thingy, if you're curious).

But to cut to the chase, I loved this flick. Batman is positively scary in some parts, plus there's no Clooney, Bat-butts, or Bat-nipples.  :)  ;D

I want a Tumbler for myself now.

I even got one of those "Who's Your Daddy?" posters. Glee!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 10:37 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2005, 11:37 PM »
I saw it too, and I totally agree with that comment about Batman actually being scary. Batman shows up on scene and swallows his enemies into the darkness. It's somewhat similar to Alien. Lots of fear of what you can't see, at least throught the eyes of the criminals he confronts.

The origin story was done very well, too, I thought. What you see and learn adds a ton to both the Bruce Wayne character and the Batman mystique. I'm a little surprised that this is a part of the movie that critics seem to really attack. They complain that comic book movies should forego over-the-top antics and formulaic action, and then when an origin story diverges from the new X-men and Spider-Man style of character background development, they moan that it takes too long for Batman to show up and beat people up.

The cast (except for media-manipulating Katie Holmes) is great, especially Michael Caine. What a total surprise. Alfred has a real backbone.

I have some nitpicks, mainly about the score and some of the later fight choreography and how it was shot, but none of it stops this from being the best Batman movie by a long shot.  I was completely not interested in the movie and came up pumped up and wanting to see more.  :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 11:46 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2005, 01:30 AM »
I avoided the spoilers for this one minus knowing that scarecrow and ras al'ghul were in it, but that's nothign too special to hide.

I wasn't frightened during any scenes inthe movie, but that's not to say some people won't be.

I'm not too keen when an origin is changed for an iconic hero, but this movie did Wayne well, just as spiderman did with Parker.

My one big complain is about the music also, not to say it was a bad score though. By all means I liked  it, but at times it seemed to repeat itself. It also lacked the classic batman theme music of the first two movies and cartoon... I'd have liked to hear it as a "music cameo"
I guess it's just hard to outdo Elfman (if that was the goal anyway)

The action scenes were done well, but somewhat suffered the Jason Bourne dealie...
where the camera is shaky enough that it may be hard to tell what is happening. But it also puts you in a thugs place, seeing what they might see in a blur of "batmovement"

i think the typing of that word marks the end of my review..  :P

Overall, I highly enjoyed it and think most anyone would too.
Go see it  :D

- Dimetrodon

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2005, 04:20 AM »
Worst review ever.

I think this guy is just hating on the flick for the attention. And since I linked to it and I'm all hopped up on caffiene, I'm going to be giving him that which he craves while tearing apart his little piece:

Batman Begins is for morons.

Nice. I'll bet this guy's dream job is to write the "for Dummies" books.

The film has no interesting villains. No Catwoman, no Mr. Freeze, no Penguin, no Poison Ivy, no Batgirl.

I'll bet he thinks Batman & Robin is a great flick.

This is the fifth of the big-budget Batman flicks...and they’ve saved the worst for last.

I was going to tear him a new one for this line, but since he seems to be talking out his ass, I'll let it go. I don't think he understands that this is the start of a new series.

Nothing about the relationship between Batman and his adoring young sidekick-***-roommate-***-jailbait Robin, although their dark Bat Cave does have only one bedroom and … but I’m getting ahead of myself.

I never did read the Batman comics from the 30s and 40s, but I'm pretty sure Batman didn't have Robin around till sometime in the 40s, well after he had "begun", but I think this guy just threw that in there for the schlock value.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2005, 04:50 PM »
I have yet to see Batman Begins, but it's high on my list. I did see Mr. and Mrs. Smith last night and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I thinks it's worth checking out.

But the film I'm raving about is Crash. Oh My God! It was fantastic. There are two scenes in that movie that are so masterfully done, that I just sit and think in awe of them. It really moved me and deserves high marks this comming awards season.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Worst casting choice since De Niro as frankenstein:

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini