Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 351869 times)

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2005, 01:27 AM »
Fantastic Four was by no means a horrible movie, and no a great movie either.

I would rate it inbetween Spiderman and Batman Forever. The begining was strong, and the climax was pretty good, but the middle part of the movie was just  a little boring, and lagging at times. Surprisingly enough the Thing was one of the best parts of the whole movie, very well done. Dr. Doom was possibly the worst part of the movie. But really overall, its enjoyable. One thign I don't think msot reviewers understand is the comic was always cheesy and campy as wella s this film.. whatever..

***Spoilers***

They made Doom him into an organic metal man, like a permanent colossus from x-men. And he also could control lightning and electricity... whatever... even after he was scarred he didn't cover up his face till later when the scar got bigger...whatever..
he was just lame, and not wll done as a character himself with his scenes...
I'd have rather seen the puppetmaster or suerskrull as a badguy. hehe..

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2005, 02:16 AM »
I didn't know Matt and George are in Wedding Crashers.   ;D :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 02:17 AM by JayDouble »

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2005, 08:22 AM »
WTF.. lol  ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2005, 09:59 PM »
***Spoilers for Fan4***

I loved all the refrences to Latvia, and the fact that his mask was present before he chose to wear it.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2005, 09:49 AM »
Caught Fantastic Four on Saturday, and I have to say that I enjoyed it.  Bear in mind that I am a fan of the comic book, so I was just happy to see it brought to the big screen in the first place.  I think the generally poor reviews that have been out are maybe a little overly harsh.  I will admit that to me, it isn't on the level of the Spidey and X-Men films (or Batman Begins for that matter), but it was a fun movie...and entertaining.  I'm glad that it appears that it did well enough to warrant a sequel (hopefully a couple), and they should be able to get into more action/battles in the next installment.  The highlights of the film were definitely Johnny/Human Torch (effects were pretty good I thought), as well as Ben/Thing (suit didn't bother me)....their banter back and forth was some of the funniest parts of the movie...and true to the characters.  Not too bad of a movie, better than I expected actually after reading some negative reviews of it.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I saw F4 today and was pretty entertained.  I wish there was more action but I guess that's for the sequel or sequels.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2005, 01:53 AM »
Saw F4, and thought it was pretty solid overall. Concise backstory, fun devices to learn their individual powers, great humor, action packed climax, and it deserves the sequel it was left open for. Only gripe is that Julian McMahon wasn't menacing enough and his voice didn't fit the masked Doom character..at all. He sounded more like a television commercial voice actor.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2005, 03:57 AM »
Everyone keeps saying that about dooms voice, but it's not as though a persons vocie changes when they wear a mask anyway...

Let alone he is supposed to sound the way he does, at least in the comics. A relatively calm, and soemtiems demanding voice.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Everyone keeps saying that about dooms voice, but it's not as though a persons vocie changes when they wear a mask anyway...

Let alone he is supposed to sound the way he does, at least in the comics. A relatively calm, and soemtiems demanding voice.

Darth Vader, anyone?  ;D

Maybe J. Mac was just too casual when he was reading his lines, because he has a bland speaking voice for a villain.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2005, 03:11 AM »
I saw FF tonight, most excellent. Way, way better than that other piece of **** from 1994!   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Wow...I hated FF.  The plot devices and jumps were horrible.  The characters were true to the comic for the most part except for the crap Doom backstory. 

WOTW on the other hand was great, I think Rob nailed it with the feeling of 9-11.  I thought the same thing through the whole movie.  What would you do if your city got nuked?  Where would you go?  What would it be like?  I thought it was very well done and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2005, 01:54 AM »
I saw F4 this weekend. I checked my brain at the door and was very entertained. I wasn't looking for Batman Begins quality, so that's why it worked for me. Sure there were some gapping plot holes snd I felt they could have been a little smarted about how they figured out they had certain powers, but what's wrong with making a fun popcorn movie?

I also went to see Cinderella Man, but the screening got canceled because Charlie and Wedding Crashers were doing so well, so I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in stead. :P  I'm a big fan of the original, but I have to say the new one is very good and it is it's own movie. Every time I said to myself, well, I like they way the original did this and that, the new one put it's own twist in that made it appealing on another level. Sure it misses a lot of the magic the original held, but it has it's own magic and I have to give a hats off to Tim Burton for pulling it off. The Original is still a better movie IMO though, and I thought Depps performance worked.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Caught "Hustle and Flow" yesterday, thought it was brilliant, and Terrence Howard's on his way up. I think what I liked most about it was the portrayal of D-Jay as a pimp. He wasn't satisifed with his position, had a lot of ambition, and was actually quite intelligent. The film bucked a lot of trends that are otherwise imposed on us through music videos, which usually glorify the lifestyle. It was very "real", IMO.

Also saw "The Devil's Rejects". It's a totally different approach to filmmaking than "House of 1,000 Corpses", and this is very much a Western/Revenge flick. The characters aren't as campy, except Captain Spaulding, the Firefly family is made out to be a lot more depraved than we first thought, and overall, this is a uber-violent film. Some sexuality that was somewhat immature and out of place, but otherwise, it's a more mature flick from Zombie. Also, William Forsythe was straight up bad-ass, and anyone who sees it will agree.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2005, 12:28 AM »
Cine… I think you’re brilliant.

This one’s for all you guys who thought the FF movie was a pretty decent representation of the comic  ;):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-74-Mego-8-Mr-Fantastic-Fantastic-4_W0QQitemZ5990161439QQcategoryZ1169QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 12:37 AM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2005, 01:36 AM »
Also, William Forsythe was straight up bad-ass, and anyone who sees it will agree.

I know it's going to sound like I'm saying this just to disagree with you...again... but I thought that his was the only ridiculously over-the-top, unbelievable, poorly acted character in and otherwise very well done movie.