Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350414 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2005, 10:58 PM »
The Chronicals of Narnia doesn't open up for another month?  How'd you see it already?  That seems pretty far off for there to be advanced screenings already.

I just posted a small review in the Narnia thread. This was actually the first screening of the completed film to anyone and was held at the Directors guild. In fact, the director still hadn't seen the completed film because his newborn keep him from getting to the theater on time.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2005, 12:18 AM »
Lucky you!

How was it?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2005, 01:13 AM »
To summarize, I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the book and very well made, but lacks character tone to emotionally invest you. Although that bothered me, I was too blown away by the interpretation to let it ruin the film for me.

Most of the FX were outstanding. You can tell that they farmed the FX out to different companies because some sequences were less flawless than others. Aslan IMO was outstanding with the exception of one shot where he is thrown to the ground. They just didn't get the weight right. Tomnes was flawless. I looked very hard and could not see any tell signs that his fawn legs were CG. Some of the battle sequence shots were sloppy, but most were just great.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2005, 11:22 AM »
Went to see HP4 on Sunday, but was thwarted by the evil "sold out" signs - we got there at 1:30pm to buy tickets for the 2:45pm show and it was sold out until 7pm.  So, rather than go home and come back hours later, we thought we'd pass on HP4 (for now) and see something else instead....

So, we ended up seeing Chicken Little.  I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a fan of Disney movies, and I thought this one was really good.  Not "Toy Story" good, but pretty good nonetheless.

I liked the story ("fish out of water" was my fav character) and the animation was top notch.  One thing that did bug me was that this was yet another movie where the mom is dead (what does Disney have against Moms anyway?  :P).

This being a Disney movie, it was of course chocked full of Disney previews - Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (lame sequel) and the new Shaggy Dog (with Tim Allen). After seeing the Tim Allen "Shaggy Dog" preview, I have to say I was a little miffed.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but after they did a "Flubber" movie with Robin Williams a few years ago that flopped, that should have been a sign to Disney to just leave the classics alone...

This year it was a new Herbie, next year the "Shaggy Dog", what's next - "the Apple Dumplin' Gang"?   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2005, 01:34 PM »

One thing that did bug me was that this was yet another movie where the mom is dead (what does Disney have against Moms anyway?  :P).

OT - I don't want to sound overly sensitive, but I thought that opening sequence in Finding Nemo was a little too much for the kiddies...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2005, 07:14 PM »

One thing that did bug me was that this was yet another movie where the mom is dead (what does Disney have against Moms anyway?  :P).

OT - I don't want to sound overly sensitive, but I thought that opening sequence in Finding Nemo was a little too much for the kiddies...

That's why Pixar movies are superior, they don't dumb it down for the kids. Sure it's intence, but it really gets you into the movie.

Let's not forget Bambi either. Walt was a master.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 5, 2005, 09:57 AM »
I saw "Good Night and Good Luck" last night. Very good picture and the performances were excellent across the board. I would expect some academy award nominations for Best Actor and Best supporting. I could even see Clooney and Heslov getting Directing and Adapted Screenplay nods.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 5, 2005, 10:31 AM »
I saw Jesus is Magic on Saturday.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 5, 2005, 11:33 PM »
Any of you guys see the X3 trailer?  Looks like a lot of action.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I saw the Squid and the Whale last night. If you like Character driven films, this is for you, and the performances were outstanding accross the board. I loved it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Syriana is awesome! Saw it last night a nd loved it. It takes a while to build, but once everything starts to connect, it really sucks you in.

Trivia about the film, but not mentioned in the film: Syriana is the name of a country the U.S. was going to form after dividing up Iraq, but the plan was since abandoned. Dispite the fact that the film is a fictional tale, it is based off of actual events stemed from extensive research and first hand accounts of CIA operatives. Truely amazing.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 28, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Saw both King Kong and Cheaper By The Dozen 2 over the last few days. The former was excellent, and as for the latter, i'd have rather stared at watery fecal matter drip down a wall.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 04:54 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2005, 04:58 PM »
I went and saw Wolf Creek last night.  Pretty slow to get going, but it gets pretty gritty when it does get going.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2005, 11:10 AM »
I saw Munich a couple of nights ago. Definately one of Speilberg's better looking movies in a long time and certainly on par with Shindlers List and Private Ryan.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2005, 08:38 PM »
Just got back from seeing King Kong, oy that was long! 20 mins of advertising and up coming movies then the flick, about 30 mins left in the movie I started to get hamburger butt.

I never saw the Rings trilogy in the theaters so the last movie I saw in a theater that was long was Gandhi back in 82.  :-X

Overall King Kong is a pretty darn good flick!  :)