Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349677 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Herbie was R2 before R2 was R2, if you catch my drift

SilverZ

« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2005, 04:27 AM »
Took in Ring Two today. Could hardly follow the movie since I was so pissed off at the idiot 13 year old Catholic School girls screaming and talking through the whole thing... a good two rows worth of 'em.

From what I could tell, if you liked the first one, you're in good shape with this follow-up. Good atmosphere and doesn't go for cheap scares. It didn't do much for me, but neither did the first.

My viewing today has made me arrive at two conclusions:

1) All movies should be rated R to cut down on annoyances to me. All movies, regardless of content, should have a pre-credit sequence that has two uses of the word "****" and a major artery spewing blood, just so it will be rated R. This will cut down on idiot kids coming in and bother me.

2) Catholic school girls are annoying, and need to shut up. Don't they have nuns that beat them anymore?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2005, 06:50 PM »
2) Catholic school girls are annoying, and need to shut up. Don't they have nuns that beat them anymore?

Nope. They stopped doing that sometime in the 70s.

8)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2005, 01:30 AM »
Some things need to come back into fashion. I've never experienced a worse trip to the theater. Lame.

Anyway, is anyone excited about Sin City? It can either be a complete triumph or utter disaster. Considering Robert Rodriguez hasn't done anything worth a damn since Desperado, and has become George Lucas's digital film lapdog, I'm nervous but hopeful. There's a making-of fluff piece on Yahoo at the moment here that shows how faithful it is to the graphic novels.

Everyone seems to be all about this:

but its Rosario Dawson for me:

:)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 01:32 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2005, 03:09 AM »
I caught Robots on Friday...  I found it to be quite good, but not the best in this sort of 3-D film genre that appeals to adults and kids alike (Clumping things like Shrek, Ice Age, and Toy Story together regardless of who makes them).

It's got little SW quirks...  Though not many.  It's ok though, and had me laughing.  It kept my gf's 2 sons and their 2 friends entertained as well, probably moreso than myself, but the film wasn't bad it just didn't have as many adult jokes as other films like this have in the past.  Felt it was much more slanted to the kids than the big kids.

My highlight was the E3 trailer...  Whoa mama!

But, anyway, I came away with another gripe to add to Jared's ones up there...

3) You should be allowed to punch parents that ENCOURAGE their kid(s) to talk.  Some woman beside me did just that with 2 children ENTIRELY too young to take to the theatre (one required sitting on this woman's lap through the film).  At a toon I expect a certain level of chatter, but this woman literally held conversations about the film with her kids (or grandkids, she looked too old to have kids that young) throughout the film, start to finish.

And worst of all, in the SW trailer too.   >:(

Can't fault the kids here...  But if I could've bitch slapped the parental unit and gotten away with it..  well that thought crossed my mind more than once.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2005, 04:16 AM »
I'm pretty excited about Sin City.  It's part of my SW Midnight Madness battle plan.  9 PM show of Sin City, walk over to the WM afterwards and get in line.   :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2005, 04:31 AM »
Ring Two sucked. Alot of it was spooky, several parts were scary, but as a movie it just sucked. 30 minutes into the movie I wished I had stayed home or seen Passion of the Christ RECUT or something.

Just being a sarcastic ******* about the Passion Recut thing. Sorry.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #157 on: April 1, 2005, 11:05 PM »
Sin City kicked ass.

If you don't spend too much this weekend, go see this flick.
 :o
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #158 on: April 3, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Sin City kicked ass.

If you don't spend too much this weekend, go see this flick.

I'll second that, enthusiastically.  :)  Even it wasn't a visual treat (which it is), the stories and characters are so interesting it would still be a great movie. The actors all seem to "get" the material and chomp on the pulpy dialog just right. I think Mickey Rourke managed a Pulp Fiction Travolta-like career resuscitation.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 4, 2005, 02:30 PM »
"Sin City" was incredible, IMO. It worked on pretty much every level for me. The only thing I was perplexed by was Josh Hartnett/The Man, and his involvement. He brought the story full circle, at the same time, there was no real "closure".

I could appreciate the pulp comic story approach, with the random collection of stories. I remember you mentioning, Rob, that the movie really didn't have a point. I found it to be more or less, like I had said, a collection of "tales" all pertaining to (Ba)sin City. I'm not big on film noir, but its influence is all over the place.

Solid stuff, and while I'm not an avid fan of Miller's or comics in general, having known about his artistic style, and having observed it, I think it carried over pretty well onto the silver screen.

..and yes, Mickey Rourke was just unbelievable, and Nick Stahl impressed me as well. The most unlikely of actors really drove this one home for me. I'm hoping for a Director's Cut, if not an Extended version.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 4, 2005, 02:36 PM »
I was lamenting on 'Scum earlier that I was wondering what Cory's views on Sin City would be, and here it is!

I agree with him pretty much 100%  ;D

I went in not knowing much about Frank Miller or Sin City (other than his overall style), and really enjoyed it. I was also a little confused by Josh Harnett's character. He did serve a purpose in linking the end with the beginning, but I'm still not very clear on who he was supposed to be. Anyone who reads the novels care to enlighten me (if he's even in the comics)?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #161 on: April 4, 2005, 02:41 PM »
I agree with him pretty much 100%  ;D

Not sure what to say to that!  Nice to finally see some agreement on a flick for once though...   8)

Would I sound like a total perv if I asked if Alba busts out in the flick?  If so, nevermind.   :P

We'll probably check it out sometime this week, as we've both been hearing really great things about it.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 4, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Over at KillerMovies, the speculation was that he was a hitman. Given the opening scene, and the look on Becky's face when he spoke to her, before the film ended with the elevator doors closing. She knew what was up.

I won't spoil any of Alba's "exposure" for you guys, but I now know what could have kept "Karen Sisco" on the air indefinately.  :D

I'm lookin' forward to seeing it again this week, after a little research.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 9, 2005, 07:22 PM »
I'll be checking out Sin City tonight, first flick I've seen in the theater since The Incredibles.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2005, 10:57 AM »
My friend and I saw Sin City last night and wow, great flick. Mickey Rourke was super and seeing Rutger Hauer was a pleasent surprise even tho it was a small part. The chicks were well nice. 

Seeing the E3 trailer again was awesome, my friend never saw it before and just sat there stunned.  ;D

I highly recommend Sin City and like Cory mentioned, a Director's Cut or Extended version will be something to look forward too, definitely on my list.  8)