Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 353745 times)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2005, 01:41 AM »
Yah, man- you guys should do like a Siskel & Ebert... Zod, you could be Siskel, you're avatar would compliment it.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2005, 02:06 AM »
Yeah but Corey and I disagree so often that no movie would ever be able to get two thumbs up.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Also, William Forsythe was straight up bad-ass, and anyone who sees it will agree.

I know it's going to sound like I'm saying this just to disagree with you...again... but I thought that his was the only ridiculously over-the-top, unbelievable, poorly acted character in and otherwise very well done movie.

That's fine. I don't think he was "over the top". necessarily. Any scenes in particular you can cite where you thought he was over-acting? I'm just curious, because taking in all the variables, it feels as if that method was kind of called for, and that he provided the greatest tension throughout the whole film. Namely, the picture torture and Mama Firefly jail scenes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:32 PM by Cine »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2005, 03:41 PM »
the Firefly family is made out to be a lot more depraved than we first thought, and overall, this is a uber-violent film.

I heard from a friend who said that Zombie's new flick was horrible - he said something about uber-violence being so disgusting it made him sick and he could hardly watch it. 

Is it really bloody-violent (blood squirting), sexually-violent (rape/torture), or gross violent (innards expodingout out of body holes?

For some reason, I can tolerate a little "bloody-violence" in a movie, but the other two types will turn me off even the most brilliant movie.  I didn't mind the blood-shed in "Kill Bill" for example, but I get grossed out at a lot of other horror movies.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2005, 04:04 PM »

I heard from a friend who said that Zombie's new flick was horrible - he said something about uber-violence being so disgusting it made him sick and he could hardly watch it. 

Is it really bloody-violent (blood squirting), sexually-violent (rape/torture), or gross violent (innards expodingout out of body holes?

For some reason, I can tolerate a little "bloody-violence" in a movie, but the other two types will turn me off even the most brilliant movie.  I didn't mind the blood-shed in "Kill Bill" for example, but I get grossed out at a lot of other horror movies.   :-\

It's in the same vein as "Haute Tension", being a mainstream exploitation/revenge flick. I was joking with my movie friends at KMC about the MPAA having a horror buff on their panel because what movies are getting away with these days is RIDICULOUS!

It's no "I Spit On Your Grave" by any means, but there are some disturbing scenes, not necessarily gory, just violent. It's a strong film, and naturally, I'm jaded, so I can't necessarily recommend it to everyone.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:05 PM by Cine »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2005, 04:14 PM »

Yes.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Any scenes in particular you can cite where you thought he was over-acting?

Not really, I've only seen it once - it was just the impression that I got...that he was always too tensed up, too dramatic, making too many faces, delivering his lines with too much intensity and too much flair.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Well then I guess I'll play it safe and pass on it in favor of something easier on the eyes -

« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:20 PM by Jeff »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2005, 09:59 PM »
"Stealth" looks to be essentially "Top Gun" meets "2001", where a plane becomes self aware and does its own thing. Besides, Jessica Biel's a failed actress, IMO. Needs to re-join "7th Heaven", re-evaluate who she jobs for.

BTW, saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" this afternoon. Easily the worst movie I've seen all year, and probably in my Top 10 for worst ever.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2005, 10:12 PM »
"Stealth" looks to be essentially "Top Gun" meets "2001", where a plane becomes self aware and does its own thing. Besides, Jessica Biel's a failed actress, IMO. Needs to re-join "7th Heaven", re-evaluate who she jobs for.

You forgot to add...

"Stealth" looks to be essentially "Top Gun" meets "2001", with Jessical Biel in a bikini

I'm not going to see it for it's ground-breaking cinematography, I'm going to see it because IMHO, it looks like a "fun" movie. 

Jeff

ps.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was really good.  I saw it, it was fun and I really enjoyed it - but then again I'm just a regular guy and not a part-time movie reviewer type guy.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2005, 12:13 AM »
Saw Batman this week

It was good

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2005, 01:54 AM »
BTW, saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" this afternoon. Easily the worst movie I've seen all year, and probably in my Top 10 for worst ever.

What a shocker...  I disagree again.  I thought the ending was a bit too happy, but other than that it was incredible - particularly every time Deep Roy was involved.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:56 AM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2005, 11:25 AM »
There were too many things wrong with "Charlie" for me to enjoy. First, a remake was totally unnecessary. Johnny Depp was horrible. He managed to evoke all the charisma of a quadriplegic mime. He came off like a paedophile with bad taste in dress, and his humor was just too immature to be funny. Especially the gags that weren't even funny the 2nd time around, slamming into things, etc. Ethnic Oompa Loompa's in shiny neon colored body suits with pony tails? Give me a ******* break, man. And the MUSICAL NUMBERS with electronic and Hip Hop music!? Did they get N'Sync to write these up for him?

Total and complete raping of the original. I mean, "Charlie" wasn't even the focus of the movie. It ended up being Wonka and his strained relations with his Dad.

All this of course, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 11:39 AM by Cine »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2005, 11:38 AM »

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was really good.  I saw it, it was fun and I really enjoyed it - but then again I'm just a regular guy and not a part-time movie reviewer type guy.

I'm a regular guy too, I just watch a lot of movies. When somethings flaws are so obvious, it's kind of hard not to critique it. I mean, you guys might be easily amused, or not critical of what you watch. I am, and I still manage to enjoy myself. That's just me, and I'm not going to attack you for liking a movie I thought was horrible. This isn't Rebelscum.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 11:48 AM by Cine »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2005, 06:01 AM »
Has anyone seen Sky High yet, seems to be getting some good reviews.