Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350422 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1095 on: December 22, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Not that the original movie is necessarily a "cinema classic", but I always enjoyed it a lot - and in a way, it seems sort of wrong to be remaking it:

Jaden Smith is the New Karate Kid

Apparently, the trailer was online for awhile, but seems to be taken down now.  Jackie Chan is in the Miyagi-type role, if anyone hasn't heard.  The original Karate Kid was one of my favorite movies growing up (the sequels not quite as much), and I can understand bringing something to a "new generation" like Hollywood likes to do these days, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 22, 2009, 06:12 PM »
I'm starting to feel really old - like really.  Leave the 80's flicks alone already.  Can't Hollywood think of something original  ???
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 23, 2009, 11:50 AM »
And, updating my earlier post, the trailer for the new Karate Kid movie is now online again.  It looks as bad as I feared.  I too, am really starting to feel old.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 24, 2009, 09:11 AM »
That final scene with Jackie Chan and the chopsticks sums up this concept perfectly....let's do what's been done before, but with more BOOM and less substance.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 24, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Hes teaching him kungfu, how can it be karate kid??

Looks very very lame
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1100 on: December 24, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Hes teaching him kungfu, how can it be karate kid??

Looks very very lame

Maybe he is the MMA Kid?
"This is the way."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 25, 2009, 12:07 AM »
Wow, that is awful.  Doesn't help that I sort of can't stand Jaden Smith. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1102 on: December 25, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Watched The Hangover tonight...totally overrated IMO.  Wow.  I laughed a couple of times but I didn't find it the funniest thing since Carrot Top pictures in the Hotties thread.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 29, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Well, going back to our box office predictions for 2009 (starting on page 59 of this thread), and it looks like we were somewhat right.  Barring any last minute movement as Avatar continues its theater run, it looks like the top 10 of the year should shake out like this (from Box Office Mojo):

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($402 M)
2. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince ($301 M)
3. Up ($293 M)
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon ($280 M)
5. The Hangover ($277 M)
6. Star Trek ($257 M)
7. Avatar ($232 M)
8. Monsters vs Aliens ($198 M)
9. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs ($196 M)
10. The Blind Side ($186 M)

Surprises to me are the Hangover finishing in the top 5, The Blind Side in the top 10, and movies like Wolverine and GI Joe not making the Top 10 (Wolvie was 11th).  Also, I wouldn't have thought things like The Proposal and Paul Blart would have beat out Terminator Salvation (although I didn't see it either I guess).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:56 PM by Brian »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 29, 2009, 10:50 PM »
I agree, I think Transformers 2 may take the top nod this year.  I do, however, think that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince may squeek out a number 2 slot.  It'll probably be a battle between Potter and Terminator.

While the other May movies all have huge hit potential, they cancel each other out.  It's going to be hard for one film to break out of the month with huge numbers since 3 of the four pull from a similar audience pool.  Terminator has the best bet since it's last in line with only "Up" following it.  Two different audiences.  Potter Stands alone about 3 weeks after Transformers.  So I'm betting a 1/2 for them.

I do agree with Bill that I think the Joe movie will tank.

I still think Transformers is probably going to be number one with Harry Potter coming in at 2 but it'll have to do a good job to beat Star Trek.

I think Twilight is going to be the sleeper.  If last night was any indication, that film could go big.  The girls at Transformers were screaming last night when the Twilight trailer rolled and kicked off with Robert Pattinson...I thought they were going to rush the screen when it cut to Taylor Lautner without his shirt on.

I'm not surprised that Terminator is not in the top 10 so far this year.  That movie didn't totally suck but it didn't raise to anything special either.

I hate it when other people quote their own posts to try to gloat, but, there it is.   :P

I didn't think Avatar would be one of the top 2 or 3 because it was opening so close to the end of the year, but it's really doing a ****load of business.  I don't think it's going to make it past Potter before the end of the year but it's going to be close.  Also, I didn't expect Star Trek to do the business it did but Wolverine and Terminator were so much worse than I thought, and ST better, it turned out different than I originally predicted.  Joe did kind of tank, though. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 30, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I saw Sherlock Holmes last night.  I really enjoyed the movie but I'd like to see it again as the dialogue was spoken very fast and I know I missed a few things.  I liked the visual style of the movie as well.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 30, 2009, 05:03 PM »
I checked out Planet 51 with the kids today.  The beginning was a little scary for my daughter, but otherwise they really liked it.  Some pretty funny Star Wars references in there as well.  We also caught UP this last week - very fun movie for both us and the kids.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Newsarama's list of "Top Ten Geek Movies of the 2000s".  Sort of disappointing to see ROTS left off of the list, although not surprising with it being "cool" to diss Star Wars a lot these days.  I've mentioned it before though, it seems like even though Revenge of the Sith was pretty well received (and made tons of money) it gets lumped in with the other prequels as being "disappointing".  Anyways, the list is available at the linky, and lots of good movies are included.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 1, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Newsarama's list of "Top Ten Geek Movies of the 2000s".  Sort of disappointing to see ROTS left off of the list, although not surprising with it being "cool" to diss Star Wars a lot these days.  I've mentioned it before though, it seems like even though Revenge of the Sith was pretty well received (and made tons of money) it gets lumped in with the other prequels as being "disappointing".  Anyways, the list is available at the linky, and lots of good movies are included.

That list is pretty lame IMO.  Limiting the list to just ten is pretty tough, but I'd counter with these bad boys:

Fanboys
Star Trek
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Zombieland
Watchmen
The Dark Knight
Avatar (I've not seen it, but I'm going on faith here)
Gladiator
28 Days Later
Iron Man

I could easily see ROTS, District 9, X-Men, Transformers (I liked the first one), or Wall-E (I liked this movie, but it's more kiddie than geeky) making the list too - hard to trim to just ten.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 1, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Has anybody heard of the movie Legion before?  I saw a commercial for it just tonight and looks pretty fun.  The general plot has been done before and the concept that God would send angels (in the form of demons?) to wipe out mankind is pretty silly, but looks like a lot of fun sci-fi/horror fighting at least.