Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 352544 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1110 on: January 7, 2010, 01:12 PM »
So I guess I didn't realize that a film's box office tally counts towards the year it was released in and not in which it was made.  So, apparently, Avatar could end up being the #1 film for 2009 if it beats $402M (which it's most likely to do)?  Is that right? 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 7, 2010, 01:34 PM »
So I guess I didn't realize that a film's box office tally counts towards the year it was released in and not in which it was made.  So, apparently, Avatar could end up being the #1 film for 2009 if it beats $402M (which it's most likely to do)?  Is that right? 

E...

Doesn't that depend on who is tallying the results?  Is there a single resource that officially states box office results? If there are multiple resources, then I Guess they can decide how they want to report it.  Personally, I think it makes sense to tie it to the year of release rather than splitting it across two years.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1112 on: January 7, 2010, 02:13 PM »

E...

The total for a film is based on release date.  A movie released on 12-31-09 would compete against other 2009 films.  But box office total for the entire industry is calculated 1-1-09 to 12-31-09.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 7, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night.  WOW!  Great performance by Robert Downey Jr.  And I'm surprised that this came from Guy Ritchie.  He's been something of a one trick pony as directors go, but this actually showed some versatility on his part.  And I think he really was able to capture Victorian era London well.

And it was totally set up for a sequel, too.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 8, 2010, 01:35 AM »
And it was totally set up for a sequel, too.

Not if Robert Downey Jr. doesn't keep his mouth shut.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 8, 2010, 05:12 PM »
The first trailer for the A-Team is now online, for anyone interested.  Also, a new full trailer for Kick-Ass, for those who have been keeping up on the comic at all.  There's also a red band trailer out there focusing on the character of Hit Girl.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2010, 05:17 PM by Brian »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 8, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together!   :D  They seem to be keeping inline with the show, a weekend popcorn flick.  ;D

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 8, 2010, 07:08 PM »
The A-Team looks like a fun movie.  But that last scene in the trailer, in the plane, looks kind of terrible.  That looks more like something you'd see in a Joe movie, not the A-Team.  Eh, whatever.  I'll be interested to see how Rampage does with the acting job.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 11, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm behind the times, but I finally got around to seeing UP this weekend and I gotta say that was one hell of a movie.

I usually pass on pretty much all animated films, but I'd hear murmurs about this one being special. It was. It's got kid elements to it, but I really don't think it's a kid movie. If anything, I'd say it's for people past 40. It looked great in almost a art deco way and many of the emotional moments I found especially poignant. I just enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also saw Terminator Salvation during the weekend and found it more enjoyable than I thought I would. To me, the action sequences and the herding of the people reminded me a little of Spielberg's War of the Worlds (which I also enjoyed). The story was so-so, but the action more than made up for it.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1119 on: January 15, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I watched [REC] last weekend (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/).  It's the movie that Quarantine was adapted from.  I heard Quarantine was bad, but [REC] was pretty good.  Well, [REC] ended up being pretty damn fantastic, IMO.  It was in Spanish with subtitles, but by the end of the film I didn't even notice I was reading I was so engrossed.  If you're not a fan of the "found footage" shaky-cam genre this one's definitely not for you.  And it starts out pretty slow.  But once all hell breaks loose it's amazing, edge-of-your-seat stuff.  I might even pick up Quarantine now just to compare and contrast.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1120 on: January 20, 2010, 01:41 AM »
We went and saw The Book of Eli yesterday.

Fantastic movie!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Gamer - interesting concept - pretty cool flick

Sherlock Holmes - God bless the person that got Downey Jr off his drugs and drink the man simply rocks!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 28, 2010, 09:56 AM »
I linked this story in the Harry Potter thread but in the same article there was a mention of Clash of the Titans being released in 3D.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 28, 2010, 05:21 PM »
For anyone interested, IGN has been counting down ten movies for each year of the past decade (2000 to 2009), and you can check their lists out HERE.  They also list video games, if you're interested in that.  So far, they are up to 2002, revealing a "top 10" each day right now.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 9, 2010, 01:21 PM »