Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349680 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1365 on: February 8, 2012, 09:28 AM »
I would be more worried about my 10 year old seeing how "cool" it is for a bunch of teenagers to wreak death and desctruction

That is the polar opposite of what this movie is about.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 8, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I would be more worried about my 10 year old seeing how "cool" it is for a bunch of teenagers to wreak death and desctruction

That is the polar opposite of what this movie is about.

What is it about - I am only going by what it is marketed as by the numerous previews I have seen.  "Ohh - let's crush a can, now let's try wrecking a car, that was fun, what's next - a bus?  Airplane?"  That is only what I have seen - other than that- you are right - I have no idea what it is about - but that is what has been put out there by the advertisers.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1367 on: February 8, 2012, 01:23 PM »
The story - three teens get telekinetic powers.  It's awesome.  Two are well-adjusted.  One is from an abusive home.  He makes mistakes trying to deal with a terrible situation.  Bad things happen.

There's absolutely no glorification or reveling in violence.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 9, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Don't forget the shaky cam - if you're not a fan of those flicks (not as bad as others, but..)  Pretty much the entire movie is filmed through the abusive kid's camera.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 5, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Just ran across this today:

Total Film's 50 Most Hated Movies Ever Made

Kind of an odd list in places.  Indy and the Crystal Skull placed 1, with Phantom Menace at 2.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 08:50 PM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 5, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Found myself in agreement with an awful lot of the selections.  Too be fair, I've never seen Titanic nor will I ever but I'm content in the notion it sucked.  Boat sinks, insert 3 hours of annoying back story. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 6, 2012, 08:35 AM »
"By Crabby Internet Fanbois" should be a sub-heading for this "list."  What a load of crap.  While some of these films as sequels don't live up to some of their earlier films' quality, some aren't THAT bad.  Any list that has IJ:KotCS and TPM so near the top has to be laughable.  To put either of these above any of the Transformers debacles, Battlefield Earth (UGH!!!!!), Catwoman or Batman and Robin is ridiculous.  THOSE are really crappy movies.

Also, and I know I am a voice in the wilderness on this, PLENTY of people liked TPM until it became "cool" to hate it and the box office shows it, even with the rerelease.  This would also apply to Titanic and DEFINITELY to Forrest Gump.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 6, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Was bored so checked out Project X over the weekend.  Ah man that takes me back.  Good waste of 88 mins  :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 6, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Found myself in agreement with an awful lot of the selections.  Too be fair, I've never seen Titanic nor will I ever but I'm content in the notion it sucked.  Boat sinks, insert 3 hours of annoying back story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKc574LnBM

Worth a listen.  Language is not safe for work, though.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 9, 2012, 10:15 AM »
I saw John Carter last night.  It was okay but I wasn't blown away by it.  Taylor Kitsch isn't the best actor in the world and when he's on screen that much, it kind of shows.  He did good in the action parts though.  Still, with Battleship coming up in May, that's a lot of big budget money hanging on him.

I think sci-fi fans and fans of the John Carter series may like this, but it's kind of not friendly to the general public, I don't think.  It's definitely a geek film.  However, the movie was interesting enough that now I'd like to read the books.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 9, 2012, 10:40 AM »
It's already March but with the real contenders still to come, I think I'm ready to pick my top 5 money-making films for 2012.  No particular order:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Dark Knight Rises
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
The Avengers
The Amazing Spider-Man

The Hunger Games is my wild card and I think it has the possibility of making the top 5 and knocking out The Amazing Spider-Man.  The books are huge and if the movie captures that it could do good things.  However, it's not what you would call a feel good story.  That could turn some people off and word of mouth could stop people from going if they didn't already know what the movie was about. 

The Amazing Spider-Man is also an unknown.  Since it's a reboot, some fans of the previous three (okay, of the first 2) could dismiss this film and others could look at it as "just another Spider-Man movie" and skip it.  Still, SM is a big brand and that should bring in fans.  Plus, Emma Stone is kind of hot right now.

I think Hobbit, Dark Knight and Twilight will be in a race for the overall number 1. 

I looked through most of the year's releases that are known, and I don't see any dark horses in there.  Brave is this year's Pixar film, but I don't see it being top 5.  There's a lot of sci-fi that looks good but nothing beating the films I listed.  GI Joe could go big, but not Avengers big, and won't hit top 5...but I'm thinking it may beat the first one just because The Rock and Bruce Willis are in it.  The new Bourne film could do okay and Snow White and the Huntsman could get some Twilight money...but probably won't be as big.  There's a James Bond film in November and a good, pure action film in Expendables 2 in August.  Not really contenders, though.

There are always surprises, but this year the top 5 seem kind of obvious.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 9, 2012, 02:27 PM »

The Hunger Games is my wild card and I think it has the possibility of making the top 5 and knocking out The Amazing Spider-Man.  The books are huge and if the movie captures that it could do good things.  However, it's not what you would call a feel good story.  That could turn some people off and word of mouth could stop people from going if they didn't already know what the movie was about. 

Here's my take on this movie, having only a vague idea of the plot and cultural zeitgeist:

The previews look boring. I don't know or care about any of the actors except Woody Harrelson and whoever the other adults of importance might be. It strikes me as some kind of tween mash-up of Lord of the Flies and The Lottery. Is this supposed to be some alternate reality or the future? The costumes seem ridiculous, even worse than that DUNE miniseries on SyFy a few years back.

Obviously as a cranky old man I am not the target audience for this thing, but neither am I for Project X or The Chronicle and those both looked a lot more interesting to me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1377 on: March 9, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I think they're trying to strike gold like Potter/Twilight - adapt a book series that's popular with teens.  I know the books are highly regarded, but that's about all I know.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 9, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Think of the Hunger Games as a slightly different take on "The Most Dangerous Game"...similar to "The Condemned," only a much better story (at least in the books).  It's set in a retro-futuristic alternate reality US (think bows & arrows vs cloaked hovercraft...but it works).

E...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50 PM »
The idea of the Hunger games is after a huge war, the United States is broken up into thirteen districts which all serve the Capital city. District 13 was destroyed as reminder not to cross the Captial.  In order to keep the districts under control, every year each district must choose a male and female between the ages of 12-17 to compete in the Hunger Games as tributes to the Capital. The Hunger Games are like Thunder Dome from Mad Max. Everyone enters, one person leaves. The contestents are forced to kill each other in order to survive. Who ever is the last teenage standing is the winner and their district get more rations from the Capital.

PrimRose Everdeen gets choosen. She is 12 and will most likely die in the games. Her big sister Katness voluteers herself to compete instead of PrimRose. Everybody finds weapons in the arena to battle with. Katness boy friend gets choosen to compete too. The arena is forest filled with bio engineered monsters and plants. They need to set traps for each other and avoid the animals and plants that are trying to kill them.

Whats cool is there is an underground resistance group from the destroyed district 13 that is using Katness to spread rebellion to the other disticts. By the end of the three book, Katness is a symbol of the resistance and a big freedom fighter. She leads an assult against the Capital but that is two movies from now.

Granted there are alot of teenage girl type moments in the books but for the most part the story holds together really well. I'm definately seeing the movie. Its not Twilight and no one sparkles however Katness does burst into flames.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:53 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours