Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349702 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1455 on: June 16, 2012, 03:37 PM »
I finally got to see Prometheus today... I loved it.

If you go into it expecting back-story and to see and know more about the ship, instead of wanting Xenomorphs chasing people around, you're going to be happy.

It had so much more story to it than Alien, it's more layered with bigger themes and a more evolved subtext... plot holes or not, it was jaw dropping IMO.

Shaw running around healed is more of a suspension of disbelief requirement than a plot hole (it's the future after all  :P ).  What are some other examples that people had problems with?  I thought it was pretty solid.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:39 PM by Rob »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1456 on: June 16, 2012, 04:13 PM »
That was my biggest problem...the other was that noone cared that she cut out some alien and left it in the ship

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 16, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Shaw running around healed is more of a suspension of disbelief requirement than a plot hole (it's the future after all  :P ).  What are some other examples that people had problems with?  I thought it was pretty solid.

So it could be more like Luke in a bacta tank.  Quick, painless healing.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 16, 2012, 06:30 PM »
I think Penny arcade sums up the movie pretty well.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 16, 2012, 10:39 PM »
That was my biggest problem...the other was that noone cared that she cut out some alien and left it in the ship

She thought she'd killed it (decontaminate) and I don't think anyone else even knew it was there.  That wasn't a big problem for me.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 17, 2012, 11:59 AM »
I haven't had the opportunity to see Prometheus yet.  And despite the complaints and bad fanboy reviews, I'm still interested in seeing the movie.  I heard Kevin Smith talking about the movie during the week, and he had a very pointed comment:  this film has it's roots in Ridley Scott's Alien, and NOT James Cameron's Aliens.  That distinction is HUGE. 

I'm hoping to get to the theater to see it in the next few days, and I'll reserve my judgement until then.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1461 on: June 17, 2012, 12:46 PM »
I liked it a lot...I just had a few problems with it.  One thing I don't think I posted is that the Score was phenomenal

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1462 on: June 18, 2012, 12:01 AM »
I saw it in IMAX 3D on Friday and thought it was good.  They definitely left a lot open, so there might be another one down the road.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 18, 2012, 12:08 AM »
I saw it in IMAX 3D on Friday and thought it was good.  They definitely left a lot open, so there might be another one down the road.

The studio is saying that if this one does well they have ideas for a trilogy.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48 AM »
I think Prometheus is now ruined for me after seeing that new Sideshow (or whoever) toy of The Engineer.

That singlehandedly ruined the coolest part of Alien to me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05 AM »
I think Penny arcade sums up the movie pretty well.

HAHAHAHA!  This!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 18, 2012, 09:31 AM »
#2 at the box office for week two...not bad.  I keep wanting to go see it again.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 18, 2012, 10:07 AM »
What are some other examples that people had problems with?  I thought it was pretty solid.

Spoilery warnings.....

The Engineers; we never did get a good idea of their motives.  Did they come to Earth to create life or destroy it or for something else and we were just a side effect? Why come back to destroy us? Had we done something other than what they wanted or were we not what they wanted?  And either way, why bother with us rather than just start over somewhere else?  Either way, what was their goal?  Their end game?

The Engineer who tried to pilot the ship off the planet appeared to be somewhat different than the Engineer who appeared on Earth.  Was that just evolution or had they been trying to alter themselves and had it partially succeeded?  Was that why we got an early Alien from the Engineer while Shaw popped out a facehugger?  Because, if we had the same DNA, why would we see the start of an acid-blooded, silicon-based life form spring from something based on a carbon-based life form?  Holloway to Shaw to the Engineer?

What did David know?  By the end it seems like his goal was supposed to be to help Weyland meet the Engineers but up to the point we know that, he seems to know more than anyone else about what to expect on the planet.  Why the experiment with Holloway? Did he read something or know something more about what the Engineers were doing on the planet?  If his real goal was to get Weyland a face to face, why all the off-book stuff?  Also, what did he say to the Engineer at the end? Maybe I'm forgetting now, but I didn't think that was explained either.

Then there was Captain Janek who, with one visit to the labyrinth, suddenly knows that it's a military installation and not, well, anything else.  Maybe that's just deductive reasoning, but the movie seems to make it a key point that we now know this.

What was Meredith Vickers really up to?  She said early on that she was there because the Weyland corporation was laying out a lot of money, but what CEO would actually go herself on some mission like this?  So was she really there just because she was the boss or was there some other reason that we didn't know about?  She didn't seem to know that Weyland himself was there yet she had that medical table in her section of the Prometheus as if she knew something we didn't.  Or, I guess she was just paranoid...but that brings me back to why she would go herself.

What effect did the black ooze have on Holloway and Fifield?  It apparently broke up the Engineer on Earth and the worms became some type of...something else. But what were Fifield and Holloway becoming and how did the ooze change Holloway enough that he could plant a facehugger in Shaw?  Again, this comes back to what the Engineers were trying to accomplish with the black ooze, something that we don't have any answers to.

It felt, to me, like the entire movie was more set up than anything...like we need to get a sequel out of it in order to really find out what was going on.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Since we're on the Alien topic, I love the avatar, Eric.

I have yet to see Prometheus, but I've been spoiled, so no biggie to me.  I read somewhere that the Engineers were using the humans to spawn the xenomorphs so that the Engineers could figure out how to defeat them...  whether that's accurate or not, I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:55 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13 AM »
I don't have the link, but read a really good article last week that seemed to have answered all the questions about the movie.

Spoiler?...

Jesus Christ was an engineer and they apparently got pissed at us when we killed him when he came down to try and help us...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN