Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349714 times)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2004, 02:25 AM »

Defintely. Saw might just be the most ****** up movie I've ever seen.

Watch "The Holy Mountain", it's got a man (amongst other things) who can travel directly thorough mountains by dematerializing his flesh and re-materializing it on the other side, however he can only achieve this feat in a horizontal fashion, never actually being able to climb to the peak! Just watch it, dammit!
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2004, 10:31 AM »
This really has to be about the worst movie I've seen all year, except for Shrek 2, which is on my Bottom 10 list. God that movie is shittastic.

I hope you're joking about that Shrek 2 comment, Jared. That was one of the funniest movies I saw this year, if not the funniest. How could you not like Shrek 2??

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Watch "The Holy Mountain", it's got a man (amongst other things) who can travel directly thorough mountains by dematerializing his flesh and re-materializing it on the other side, however he can only achieve this feat in a horizontal fashion, never actually being able to climb to the peak! Just watch it, dammit!

Ahhh, Alejandro Jodorowsky, another of my favorite directors. I've got all his movies, and while Holy Mountain is great I prefer El Topo and Santa Sangre, because The Holy Mountain is one film that just really gave me a headache.

SilverZ

« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2004, 03:16 AM »
I hope you're joking about that Shrek 2 comment, Jared. That was one of the funniest movies I saw this year, if not the funniest. How could you not like Shrek 2??

Oh, I'm totally serious. Without tearing it apart, I found the jokes predictable and, well, cliched. It's one of those occasions where the movie and the cynical ******* watching it don't come together.  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2004, 09:38 AM »
We saw "Mystic River" this weekend :-\

I liked it a lot :)  Sean Penn is one of those actors that I can't help but have a Man-Crush on something fierce

So....whistles and walks out of the thread

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2004, 05:06 PM »
We saw "Mystic River" this weekend :-\

I liked it a lot :)  Sean Penn is one of those actors that I can't help but have a Man-Crush on something fierce

So....whistles and walks out of the thread

Wow.

Scott, I don't think we wanted to see this side of you.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Remember...I'm 33% Gay

Also, remember that Mystic River came out like 2 years ago :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2004, 05:13 PM »
So I guess now you are coming out, too?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2004, 12:07 AM »
I was able to witness the hilarity that is Elf yesterday for the first time. I laughed so hard during parts of that movie. It is destined to become a holiday classic for me, one of those movies that I have to put on at some point every holiday season. So far, my list of Holiday Classics that NEED to be watched at least once every year around the Christmas holiday are (in no particular order):

1) A Christmas Story - I usually don't bother with the DVD of this since TBS has their annual 24 hours of A Christmas Story ever year. 24 hours of this film in a loop. What more could you ask for?
2) Nightmare Before Christmas - more of a Haloween movie to me, but still a flick that I need to watch every year at this time. Of course, being a huge NBX fan, it's a movie that I watch all year round several times.
3) National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - need I say anything about this movie?
4) The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - the Boris Karloff narrated cartoon one, not that Jim Carrey atrocity.
5) The Year Without A Santa Claus - Heat Miser and Snow Miser are the greatest characters ever.
6) A Charlie Brown Christmas - another great classic.
7) Christmas Eve on Sesame Street - saw this when I was very young, and just loved every minute of it.
8) The Santa Clause - Tim Allen's Christmas film was a classic in my book. Very funny, great family flick. Not that I watch it with my family, but... whatever.

There are probably more, but that's just off the top of my head.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2004, 03:57 PM »
We went and saw National Treasure a few days ago.  The trailer made it look a little better than it turned out to be, but it was still fairly entertaining.  Something about an older Nic Cage in an Indiana Jones type role just doesn't work so well for me for some reason.  But the U.S. history aspects of the movie, and the hot blonde, were fun to see.  Just popcorn stuff though, so you intellects out there may want to pass on it.

Next up, despite the poor reviews so far, is Alexander.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2004, 04:15 PM »
It's a Wonderful life is on tommorow on NBC, yes?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2004, 04:16 PM »
I was able to witness the hilarity that is Elf yesterday for the first time. I laughed so hard during parts of that movie. It is destined to become a holiday classic for me, one of those movies that I have to put on at some point every holiday season. So far, my list of Holiday Classics that NEED to be watched at least once every year around the Christmas holiday are (in no particular order):

1) A Christmas Story - I usually don't bother with the DVD of this since TBS has their annual 24 hours of A Christmas Story ever year. 24 hours of this film in a loop. What more could you ask for?
2) Nightmare Before Christmas - more of a Haloween movie to me, but still a flick that I need to watch every year at this time. Of course, being a huge NBX fan, it's a movie that I watch all year round several times.
3) National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - need I say anything about this movie?
4) The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - the Boris Karloff narrated cartoon one, not that Jim Carrey atrocity.
5) The Year Without A Santa Claus - Heat Miser and Snow Miser are the greatest characters ever.
6) A Charlie Brown Christmas - another great classic.
7) Christmas Eve on Sesame Street - saw this when I was very young, and just loved every minute of it.
The Santa Clause - Tim Allen's Christmas film was a classic in my book. Very funny, great family flick. Not that I watch it with my family, but... whatever.

There are probably more, but that's just off the top of my head.

We rented Elf this past weekend too, and I thought it was pretty good as well.  Many people will say they thought it would be funnier, but we found it pretty funny.  Plus, it seems like a pretty good "feel good" movie for holiday time.  A DVD we will probably pick up in the future.  I also like your list of Christmas movies, many of those are a classic at our house too.

1.  National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - This is the Christmas movie in our family.  We'll likely watch it several times this holiday season.
2.  Charlie Brown Christmas Special - I don't think I've missed this since I was a wee lad.  Always a big Snoopy/Peanuts fan, and I try to catch all the holiday specials...this one and the Great Pumpkin in particular.
3.  The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - Actually watched this this past weekend on TBS (before Wizard of Oz).  Another classic.
4.  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - I haved missed this a few years, but another one from my childhood that I like to catch when I can.
5.  The Santa Clause - I always thought this was a good Christmas movie as well, and we try to catch it when its on TV.  Never have seen the second one though, so I don't know if it is any good.
6.  Christmas Story - Same as you, catch it during TNT's Christmas Story-o-rama.

I haven't seen all of the others you mentioned, but have always heard that Nightmare Before Christmas is pretty good.  Nice list.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 5, 2004, 04:02 AM »
No one here go to the movies anymore?

I just got back from seeing Finding Neverland and Johhny Depp once again is fantastic. I think Scott likes Sean Penn like I likes me some Johnny Depp.

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #133 on: December 8, 2004, 03:24 AM »
Just saw Blade 3: Trinity. My least favorite of the 3 chapters. :-\

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 8, 2004, 09:56 AM »
The reviews on Blade Trinity are not very good thus far.

Third time's the harm for vampire series