Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 356842 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #1395 on: February 13, 2007, 09:53 PM »
Brent, the rumored PGM gift is Chewbacca with Mynock Mask. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 13, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Thanks for that :)

I guess I'll take it, but it sure is a departure from my collection focus.  I guess I'd slot it in between Han Stormtrooper and Salacious Crumb. Cool if it is that though.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: February 15, 2007, 03:58 PM »
I was just getting a chance to go through the pics again today from Toy Fair, and many of those mini busts coming from Gentle Giant do look pretty amazing.  The exclusive business would be quite frustrating though.  I usually lean more towards OT with most/all products anyways, but I have to admit those Clone Commanders look pretty cool.  I can't afford them either way, but I can't imagine the headache for people trying to keep up with this line (or even the Bust Ups) with all the exclusive nonsense.  I can see why, like Brent mentioned, as it creates some buzz for their lines/products, but like I said, it has to be frustrating for the completists for this line - or even just the fans of clones.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1398 on: February 15, 2007, 04:23 PM »
Being a GG Collector would drive me crazy...

Hey Everyone, we're making FIVE new mini-busts, one for each of the VERY popular ROTS Clone Commanders!
...but we're only making about half as many as we should of each mini-bust.
...and we're spreading them out across the country... er, we mean globe.
...don't worry though as we're going to offer 500 through our new website... which will most likely lock-up and crash as result.

I understand trying to keep your product limited so that helps increase demand, but don't you reach a point where the majority of your fan base says "screw it" and just gievs up and walks away?  As an outsider looking in, it just seems like every exclusive they have offered has some bigger headache associated with it than the one before did.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: February 15, 2007, 04:26 PM »
I think that the cool thing to do might have been to space out all of the Clone Commanders.  Having 5 of them as convention exclusives makes things a little tough.  But then *IF* Gentle Giant offers them individually online after the conventions, as well as offering the box sets at the end of the year, then I can see them exercising some measure of due dilligence.

But they really seem to be going above and beyond with the exclusives this year.  Look at this:
MINI-BUSTS
-Chewbacca with gas mask
-Spirit of Yoda
-Spirit of Obi-Wan
-Coruscant Clone Trooper (AFX exclusive)
-Darth Malak (C4 exclusive)
-Commander Gree (C4 exclusive)
-Commander Cody (SDCC exclusive)
-Commander Neyo (Blister exclusive)
-Commander Bly (Forbidden Planet exclusive)
-Commander Bacara (TBD exclusive)

ANIMATED MAQUETTES
-Mace Windu (Star Wars Shop)
-R2-D2 with Yoda (World tour exclusive)

BUST UPS
-Han Solo & Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper armor

It seems to be bordering on out of control.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 16, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Brent, the rumored PGM gift is Chewbacca with Mynock Mask. 

What's PGM and how do I get this bust? It's the only one I want...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1401 on: February 16, 2007, 10:28 AM »

PGM = Premiere Guild Member
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 16, 2007, 10:39 AM »

PGM = Premiere Guild Member

Ick, so I have to join to even have a chance to possibly buy it? F that! Anyone a member and want to hook a Wookiee collector up?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:40 AM by Madcow »

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 16, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Anyone wanna help a guy out who lives on another planet??
Cause the US must be the only bloody country in this world that has starwars collectors apparently.
PGM = not available to anyone outside US= I get assraped on ebay for this.
Starwarsshop = Assraped on shipping internationaly oh and I cant forget the standard surcharge for posting outside the US aswell
Looks like i'm gonna get it it good this year
Oh the joys of being a collector living outside the US, I'm seriously ready to throw this hobby away, it's stopped being fun and is becoming a god dam pain in the ass, YES I AM ANGRY !!!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 20, 2007, 02:34 AM »
Alright... so for the longest time I've had a pair of busts... X-Wing Luke, and IG-88.

Then my dad picks me up Chewbacca for Xmas.  Then I go to Toy Fair and see all the new stuff and get real excited about it and decide that I'm going to slowly start expanding my Mini-Bust collection.

A Vader and a Maul later... I'm starting to get hooked and I want to start playing catch-up, but most importantly, I don't want to miss out on the ones that are coming out soon and will be impossible to get down the road.

So, to save me from having to scrub through 94 pages in this thread - can anyone offer a newbie some fresh advice about getting on top of all of this?  I registered at GG's website and made a wishlist with everything that I'm missing... but that's only helping me get organized.

Tips for ordering from them without missing the boat?

Tips for getting in on convention exclusives when you can't attend?  Easier to find a friend to get one for you or easier to become a premiere member?

Can money be saved by NOT ordering when they're for sale on standard edition busts?  For example, I just got Maul for $35 and Vader for $39 - are edition size and exclusiveness enough to know whether or not one will cost more than or less than $50 later on?

Tips besides eBay for finding busts that are long since sold out?

Lastly... if anyone is unloading any for reasonable prices... let me know. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 20, 2007, 10:59 AM »

Can money be saved by NOT ordering when they're for sale on standard edition busts?  For example, I just got Maul for $35 and Vader for $39 - are edition size and exclusiveness enough to know whether or not one will cost more than or less than $50 later on?

Yes, this is my strategy for ordering busts now.  If it's a regular release bust with an edition size of 10,000 or more, no way am I ordering it in advance.  I did this with Vader (paid under $20 pre-shipping for it) and Yoda (OT version - paid $22 or so pre-shipping cost) while both listed at $50 MSRP.  Maul is similar, though he is proving tougher to find for under $30 before shipping.  I've been quite surprised by it to be honest, I thought it would be more readily available at lower prices though the edition size is smaller than Vader/Yoda.  The Stormtrooper is another oddity, owing I think to the multiple poses and some folks wanting more than one.  It was a large issue and it's price is usually above retail these days.

In the mid range of edition sizes is where I get stuck: 4000-7500.  I'm never sure what to do with these.  The sandtrooper busts would be a good example.  I paid only $39 for each on a pre-order (and you can still get them at online retailers for that price) but could have actually picked up each for less than that, just a shade over $30.  Is that worth the grief of sweating and watching ebay?  Probably not, so generally I tend to buy these in advance.  I know Nicklab goes through his local comic store, via Diamond Dist. I think.  I generally order from Talesofwonder.com as their prices are really good usually on pre-order (Leia/Ben are $39) and others go through BBTS or Newforce.  If you miss these, they tend to stay at or around retail for a pretty long time.  One of the first busts I picked up, the Biker Scout, was sold out at retailers yet I still picked it up for under $40 on ebay.  It's finally creeping up though and going over retail now regularly. 

Low edition sizes are almost always a crap shoot and it depends as much on the character as anything else.  Show exclusives seem to settle out in the $90-150 range after the initial rush dies out.  Mara Jade and the Shocktrooper bust from last year seem to fit that pattern and I've seen both go for under $100 lately. 
I think it best to try and hook up with someone at the show if they can help you out, but I try to be realistic about them standing in a line for me.  I know what it was like at C3, so I imagine it's not that different at SDCC or the like.  For me, show exlusive busts are reasonable at $100 or so because I didn't have to pay admission to the show, which probably would run $50 anyway. 

Super low edition sizes of 1000 or less are just a huge pain in the ass and it's a crapshoot to get one.  I've been really fortunate of late, but I'm not even contemplating getting any of the early (red/white/yellow/blue) AOTC clone busts simply because they run too rich for my blood.  I could probably get the white and yellow (both of which have edition sizes above 1000 btw) and not feel too bad, but I'm not dropping $400++ on the red or blue any time soon.  And with such small sizes, the probability of someone selling one to you cheap is very low. 

Going backwards to fill holes?  Ick, I don't envy you.  Ebay is about it unless you can come across someone getting out.  Even then, it's doubtful they'll just be looking for retail.  I would check what you can online for some of the busts as they may still be available, but that's unlikely for most. 

As for the premiere membership with GG, it sounds as though the really rare stuff is going to be run as a lottery for the premiere members.  With only 500 of whatever it is usually available and 500+ members, they'll let you submit your name and then luck (maybe, maybe not) will determine if you're getting the exclusive you've entered in for.  I'm not sure if I like that better than the usual jam-up-the-server with a first come, first served approach but it seems to be the direction they're going.  So the $50 may or may not have any benefit, though it looks like we're getting that Chewie with Mynock Mask for our $$.  I don't know if it's an outright gift, or if the $50 entitles us to buy the darn thing.  Mine will be up for trade for one of the commander busts though :P  Otherwise it looks to be as though the lottery will be the way.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 20, 2007, 11:39 AM »
Playing catchup is definitely going to be expensive.  These pieces alone will run you a pretty penny:

1st edition Yoda
1st edition Darth Vader
1st edition Jango Fett
Boba Fett
Blackhole Stormtrooper
AOTC Clone Troopers (the red and blue being the most elusive)

However GG has been going back and revisiting a number of these characters and the second editions have been more plentiful.  Witness the 2nd editions of Yoda and Vader.  They made huge runs on those and they wound up clearancing out for as low as $20.  So if you don't feel the need to be a completist and just want one of every character you might do a little better.  Besides, some of the second edition pieces (like the new Jango Fett compared with the first one) are superior to the first runs.

Aside from eBay there are some options for catching up.  There probably are a number of older pieces that you can still get from some online dealers.  Try doing a Froogle search and you may just come up with some things that aren't widely available.  Conventions are an option, but you have to go there with cash and you need to be prepared to haggle.  So know your market prices.  As for those market prices, they are definitely set on eBay.  The key to buying mini-busts on eBay is tracking as many items at once as possible.  And avoid auctions that close on a weekend.  There's a weird trend going there, but apparently auctions that close on weekends tend to close higher.  Backtracking is definitely possible.  I backtracked almost every piece from the Biker Scout back to the beginning (I already had the blue Clone because I stepped in **** and got lucky at Wizard World Chicago) and to this date I'm only missing two mini-busts and the holiday edition gift busts.  But you're starting off a couple of years down the road and it's going to make this a little more difficult.

As for current items, I tend to recommend the route that I use.  I've got a good relationship going with a local comic shop.  I pre-order all of the general release mini-busts through them and I get a 20% discount off every order.  So a $50 mini-bust winds up costing me $40 with no shipping costs.  You'll just need to keep up on what's up for pre-order through Diamond Previews which comes out at the begining of each month.

As for exclusives there are a couple of options.  First, you can go to the show.  Can't go to the show?  Hook up with someone who can help you out.  Typically those deals involve trading but some people will do cash plus shipping deals.  Then there's the online offerings from Gentle Giant post convention.  They'll usually do that within a week after a show.  Those can go pretty fast, but it is an option.  It'll definitely cost you less than eBay.

Damn though, have you opened up a can of worms for yourself.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:54 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1407 on: February 20, 2007, 12:15 PM »
I have one bust and thought about getting a few more just do not want to even imagine back tracking. Some of the prices are insane and I really don't want to start soemthing else. They already sucked me in with the animated maquettes. I joined the PG thing at Gentle Giant hoping to get the Yoda/R2 Maquette since that seems to be an exclusive as well. I guess we will see what happens.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 20, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Thanks for those replies guys.  Great info.  I signed up for the Premium Whatever-it-is with hopes that a) the free gift will be decent) and b) I'll be able to get my hands on convention exclusives in the future.

I'm going to keep my eye on eBay for good deals, the forums too - and Nick, that's a great suggestion about comic shops - we've got one called Zeus that I'm going to check into this weekend and see if there's anything they can do for me.

As for playing catch-up, I've got two things working for me.  First, patience, I'm not in a rush.  Second, I'm not intending to be a completist on these.  I'm not worried about the early ones with no arms, and I'm not spending $100 to $250 on exclusives.  I'll look for deals, pick up a few here and a few there, and I'll be thrilled about it.  My plan is to just be as current as possible on FUTURE exclusives, rather than break the bank on past exclusives.  We'll see how that goes.

So far I've picked up a pair of busts for under $80 with shipping (Maul and Vader), and I've got my eye on a few more.   No rush though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 20, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Playing catchup is definitely going to be expensive.  These pieces alone will run you a pretty penny:

1st edition Yoda
1st edition Darth Vader
1st edition Jango Fett
Boba Fett
Blackhole Stormtrooper
AOTC Clone Troopers (the red and blue being the most elusive)

I own only two of those, the BHS and the Fett, which I managed to score for about $160 something, a remarkable price at the time. 

I don't care to own the Yoda as it is a PT bust of Yoda and I'm fine with the later OT version.  Jango I don't want either. 

What gives me fits from that list is the first Vader.  I do have the chrome Vader (plus the ROTS and the EE unmasked version) which is the same sculpt, so I'm tending to be happy with that.  I do watch every regular version that goes by though. 

As for the clones, they bug me.  Period.  I have the pilot and the green sargeant, but that's it.  I've bid on yellow and white before, but now with so many clones available, I don't even really care to chase these down. 

And avoid auctions that close on a weekend.  There's a weird trend going there, but apparently auctions that close on weekends tend to close higher.

It's always been that way.  I've known that for years and I've only been active on ebay since 2002.  Everyone is available or can make themselves available on the weekend pretty much.  During the week you might be traveling for work, have a meeting, need sleep or whatever.  Anything I sell ends exclusively on a Saturday or a Sunday.