Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 354481 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #1485 on: March 7, 2007, 02:26 AM »
By the time this one gets here, most of the ones I ordered will be here already - so I'll take some pictures of everything and get them up here.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 7, 2007, 10:44 AM »
It's a better price than I paid Rob ::)  I ordered mine directly from EE at full retail, so you definitely beat what I paid on it.  I should have known better, given the edition size. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 11, 2007, 11:57 PM »
Well, here's a photo of where I'm at now:

I've also got Dooku, Bossk, 501st Clone, Threepio (OT), Anakin Reveal and Palpatine on the way.  I've got funds set aside for Boba Fett now - if any of you know anyone selling one... 

I've gotten to the point now where all the ones I'm looking for run from $75 to $125, so I'm going to be slowed a little bit unless I find some good deals at the show this weekend.   My shortlist looks like this now:   Boba Fett, Han Stormtrooper (Brent?), Luke Stormtrooper, Utapau Clone, Shock Trooper, Gray AFX Clone, Sandtrooper Corporal, Salacious Crumb.

Also, I updated with all new photos of my whole collection today... link is in my sig if anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 11:58 PM by Rob »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 12, 2007, 12:09 AM »
Nice collection Rob. 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1489 on: March 12, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Very nice collection, gives me the urge to start buying them.  ;D I'll just keep telling myself i don't need them, i don't need them, i don't need them...
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 12, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Man, I love that camera you have.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #1491 on: March 12, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Looking good ! Talk about a jump start !

I like that you have them lined up and spaced across.

It allows you to take it the piece as a whole and enjoy it.

Very nice !

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 12, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Biker Scout question for everyone.  The one I got over the weekend has some crusty looking white stuff on his hand.  The seller tells me that this is part of the statue, part of the digital imaging process they went through and that it's minty mint.

Just wanted to see if you guys had stuff like that on yours.

You can see it a little bit in this image, but I didn't take it with that specifically in mind:

Thoughts?

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 12, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Some of the earlier busts came rapped in tissue like paper, it looks as if some of it gets stuck or melted on the busts.

I know I've had alot of mint/unopened busts come with this stuff on it.  The stuff usually comes off with some lukewarm water with a soft terry cloth towel.
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: March 12, 2007, 04:05 PM »
Whatever this stuff is, it's down in the little lines etched into his hand, and it does not seem to come off.  I even gently ran the back of an x-acto (nothing that would cause damage) through there to see if it would scrape off and nothing moved.  It definitely seems to be part of the resin or some similar material, whatever it is.  It's not so bad that it ruins the bust or stands out too much, but I was curious enough to email the guy about it.

I'll try to get a better picture tonight.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 12, 2007, 06:16 PM »
That's probably the tissue paper that the bust was packed in.  That has definitely been an issue with some pieces, and seems to have been limited to early releases.  It seems to be a case of the tissue paper being applied while the paint may not have been completely dried.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 12, 2007, 10:14 PM »
That's probably the tissue paper that the bust was packed in.  That has definitely been an issue with some pieces, and seems to have been limited to early releases.  It seems to be a case of the tissue paper being applied while the paint may not have been completely dried.

Hit the nail on the head here. My Biker Scout bust doesn't have any white residue on the hands but do have another bust with this same issue. I bought it brand new and when I opened it the paper was definitely adhered to the paint. Luckily it was on the base and towards the back of the bust.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Thanks for the tip Nick.  It isn't really bad or anything - and with a number like #0028, I'm okay with it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 13, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Back with more questions....

I'm trying to come up with a game plan to get my hands on the 5 clone commanders and Malak.  I've got at least one person who's going to try to help me out at C4, but I certainly don't know anyone at Blister or the one in the UK.

So, my question is, if I'm not able to find help on these, and I don't win the raffles (a very likely possibility) and I'm not able to secure duplicates of any of the US ones for trade bait, how much do you guys think these things are going to cost on eBay?

And, is it better to jump in and buy one on eBay right away, or do the prices on things like this settle down a little bit later on?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 13, 2007, 11:28 AM »
These will hit eBay in several waves.  First there will be the pre-sells.  You can write every single one of those off.  They'll all be overpriced, so don't even bother.  Then there will be the ones that get listed right around the show.  The prices there will fluctuate on those, and you may find some bargains.  A few weeks after that the prices will settle out and you can figure out what the market price is going to be.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback