Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 358731 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #1500 on: March 15, 2007, 01:33 PM »
    Well I think the great shopping spree is over.  I've spent a small fortune (but it cost less than it looks like because I was selling other items off as I went along which covered 2/3rds or more of the expenses.

The collection now stands at:

• X-Wing Luke
    • IG-88
    • Chewbacca
    • Darth Maul
    • Princess Leia - Boushh
    • Lando - Skiff Guard
    • Yoda (ESB)
    • Han Solo
    • Sandtrooper - White
    • Sandtrooper - Orange
    • ROTS Clone - White
    • ROTS Clone - 501st
    • Grand Moff Tarkin
    • Greedo
    • Grievous
    • Qui-Gon
    • Plo Koon
    • Biker Scout
    • Palpatine
    • Gamorrean Guard
    • Threepio
    • Bossk
    • Anakin Reveal
    • Darth Vader
    • Stormtrooper
    • Dooku
    • Boba Fett
    • Luke - Stormtrooper

A few of these are still in the mail somewhere, but those are the ones I now own.  Of the remaining busts, there are only 6 that I really want to get bought over the next few months:

• Han Stormtrooper
    • Sandtrooper Corporal
    • Salacious Crumb
    • Shock Trooper
    • Utapau Clone
    • Threepio - AOTC

If I can get those 6, all that will really be left will be 1st edition Yoda and Vader, Mara Jade, the BHS, the AOTC Clones, the Chrome figures, and the Armless busts.  The Chrome ones don't interest me very much - neither do the armless ones outside of Dooku.  The AOTC Clones are too expensive to care about at the moment.  Likewise with the prequel Yoda and the 1st edition Vader.  I will also pick up the Jedi Luke next week at my local shop.

So my attention is now going to turn towards staying current and not letting any of the upcoming busts turn into $200 problems down the road.  If anyone spots a great deal on the 6 I'm looking for, let me know but I'm no longer in any hurry. 

I've gotten some great deals, I've overpaid on a few - Fett comes to mind... but either way, I'm very happy with this whole thing overall.  It's nice to collect something that has value for once as compared to another carded Obi-Wan from Hasbro.  This also has me wanting to go plug the few holes in my vintage collection.

So I just wanted to thank you guys again for answering all my questions as I've been getting up to speed on this whole thing - your help was invaluable.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:00 PM by Rob »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1501 on: March 15, 2007, 02:41 PM »
I have to say your determination really makes me think i can back track too and get into this. I am standing strong and not doing it, but i do have one lonely bust, Salacious Crumb. Makes me think i should get a few more. I actually wanted the BHS and Mara but that didn't work out. I think that I would like Malak as well. So who know what this line holds for me, but i am still standing strong. Either way, great job of playing catch up and your set up looks great.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 15, 2007, 03:28 PM »
I am standing strong and not doing it, but i do have one lonely bust, Salacious Crumb.

I could end your dilemma if you want to just sell him to me.   ;D

I kid of course.  It was really helpful to do what I did... I threw a bunch of old SW junk on eBay.  It was one part garage sale, closet clean out, one part collection upgrade.  Once the money hit the Paypal account, I just used it on other auctions.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 15, 2007, 04:04 PM »
Rob,
I do have that Han Stormtrooper, it's only a question of digging it out and that won't happen prior to April.  Otherwise it's yours so feel free to cross it off. 

Otherwise your list looks like about $600-800 to complete.  The Utapau was a huge pain, so much so I ordered a full box of six to get it for relatively cheap.  I sold off one of the white clones and the blue clone already, but still have another white clone lying around ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 15, 2007, 04:25 PM »
If I'm able to find a Han for less than you paid for yours plus shipping before April, I'll probably pick it up.  So I'll leave it on the list for now. 

I'm thinking it breaks down about like this give or take $10 or 15 on each:

Han - $75
Utapau - $110
Shock Trooper $100
Sandtrooper - $110
Salacious Crumb - $100
AOTC Threepio - $75

So yeah - I think my estimate is on the low end of yours.  I've seen all of these end at prices near or below what I'm estimating - it will just be a matter of finding the right deals.  Even though most of me hopes I don't find any good deals, I may end up with one or two of these by the end of the weekend if I can find them at Phillip's con.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 18, 2007, 10:06 PM »
My local shop just got in the Jedi Knight Luke bust.  I'm going in tomorrow to pick one up.  I also ordered Salacious Crumb and am working on a deal for a Shock Trooper.

Just when I thought I'd learned to control myself.

Also, I went to Phillip's convention yesterday looking for good deals.  There were only a handful of busts at the entire show, and the only one that I didn't have was a lone Mara Jade - but it was an AP and he wanted $200 for it.  Mara Jade is near the absolute bottom of my wants list as it is.  So there you go.

Edit:  Shock Trooper and Sandtrooper Corporal are bought.  If you believe eBay's completed auctions are an indicator of what they're worth, I got pretty good deals on both.

Utapau Clone, Stormtrooper Han, and AOTC Threepio - then I'm done except for new releases, I swear.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:16 PM by Rob »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1506 on: March 19, 2007, 10:43 PM »
Utapau Clone, Stormtrooper Han, and AOTC Threepio - then I'm done except for new releases, I swear.  ::)

HAHAHA, thats what i sadi after i bought the glasslite 3PO, and then i bought the vinyl Jawa, i was actually one click away from buying a Takara C-3po but i really couldnt do it. We are all so addicted its not funny. Its great, but not funny. I am broke and still looking for something to buy tonight.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 20, 2007, 10:49 AM »
I'm really really taking a break on these last 3 for a few weeks.  The only way I'd consider buying now is if someone dropped a Utapau Clone in my lap for under $100 shipped, or a ST Han for under $60 shipped (Same for Threepio).  Both are unlikely.

Jedi Knight Luke will be in stock locally tomorrow - so there goes another $45. 

It's definitely gotten ridiculous. 

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 23, 2007, 12:40 AM »
Also the Royal Guards are up too:

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 23, 2007, 01:03 AM »
I'm all over those.  I'm going to have to resist the temptation to buy a pair of the Royal Guards to flank Palpatine.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 23, 2007, 01:37 AM »
The guards are a very nice addition to the mini-bust line.  I don't know that I'll get more than one of each, but these are definitely very cool.  I'm a little curious about why they went with the ROTS era Senate guard.  He only appears in one scene, and very briefly, whereas the TPM and AOTC Senate Guard has a little more screen time.

As for the classic line?  I'm probably going to pass on it unless there is something completely amazing offered.  It's a significantly smaller series of busts, and doesn't really mesh with the mini-bust line for me.  I see it as something of a gateway offering, an attempt to get people into Gentle Giant's product line but at a lower price point.  I also think they're using it to get into a wider array of retail outlets, since the suggested retail price is supposed to be $29.99.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 23, 2007, 01:42 AM »
I'm all over those.  I'm going to have to resist the temptation to buy a pair of the Royal Guards to flank Palpatine.

Star Wars Royal Guard and Senate Guard Mini Bust Set of 3

As far as the Classics go, I'll have to see the size.  If they match up with the Marvel Icons bust from Diamond, I'm probably in.  The only regret I have about GG stuff is not getting everything from the beginning.  I was strictly charachter collecting, this gives me the opportunoity to get everything per say.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 23, 2007, 01:49 AM »
That didn't take long.   :)

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 23, 2007, 07:35 PM »
A little off topic of discussion, but after 3 years of searching, hoping, and some luck, I am finally able to complete the last of my AOTC Holy Grails.  SDCC Exclusive Clone Trooper Lieutenant mini bust:

It feels so great to finally have this piece in my collection.  If only GG didn't make it so darn hard sometimes. :-\
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Congrats, they look great all together.