Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 356868 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts
« Reply #2055 on: December 2, 2008, 11:15 PM »
Yup, it sucks, but "it has a sound chip!!!111111111!".  Actually it does justify it more than the regular price but I could live without the auto card moreso.

If it's any consolation Rob, after exchange I'm paying over $80 for Airborne/Galactic/Renz.  I got used to that par dollar, now it's back to suckage.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 3, 2008, 01:51 AM »
Yeah, there's no way around it, especially on these exclusives.  But like you, I don't need an autograph and a sound chip.  I hope this doesn't become a reoccurring thing

At least I showed enough restraint to not order Cody with a Santa hat.  ::)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 3, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I'm going to break down and order Renz, but I'm not happy about it.  I'm getting hit with state sales tax too, and $10 shipping (I know, it's worse for international buyers), and this bust is $10 more than they usually cost anyway.

When a new regular bust comes out I get it for $46 even at the local toy shop.

I'm paying $81.12 for this one.

I think we're even getting charged tax on the shipping.

Sucks.

I'm passing on this one. I don't need a reminder on my shelf of the otheR Site. At least not for THAT price. I'll wait and like most other mini busts this one will drop in price 6 months from now. I don't need the autograph and chip, so those are NOT selling points to me. This actor was a nobody with only one line and that line only became more memorable due to the otheR Site. Otherwise, there is no way this bust would have been made, IMO.

I'd rahter have seen Piett or Ozzel done before this guy. I met Ozzel at C3. He was a very likeable fellow, may he R.I.P., and would be a mini-bust I would be proud too own.

Lt. Renz can wait for my purchase.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: December 3, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I got my Airborne Trooper today - what the hell is up with the scale?  He's significantly smaller than all the other busts.

« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 09:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 3, 2008, 10:16 PM »
Ooooh, now that's disappointing. :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: December 3, 2008, 10:44 PM »
You should see the photo they posted in the Rebelscum thread of the Airborne next to the Shock Trooper - it really illustrates it well.

There's a photo of the Marine too - I think he's smaller like the Airborne.  The bases look smaller, and the scale of the busts is definitely down.

I think GG is cost-cutting and didn't tell anyone.

And I'm really mad that I spent all this money on these two - because if this ends up being the future standard, not only would I have not bought these ones, but I'll probably sell my collection off.  Imagine once you have a bunch of newly scaled down busts next to all the other ones - how cheap and absurd that's going to look.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but it looks like they're all going to be smaller.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 10:47 PM by Rob »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: December 3, 2008, 11:11 PM »
It sucks that the scale is so off with these bust.  Hopefully this is only for the Airborne and Marine and not on any of the other bust or else GG will have a lot more angier collectors on their hands.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: December 4, 2008, 12:29 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Renz is the smaller scale, that would cinch it.  I can tolerate these two, but yeah, it will impact my future purchases too.  Renz being smaller would be annoying since I plan on having him by Tarkin. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: December 4, 2008, 01:25 AM »
Someone at RS says that the Renz appeared to be normal, but we'll have to wait and see.

Neal posted that the Marine seems to be about the same height (a small bit shorter) than Bacara... I guess we'll all know when they start showing up.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: December 4, 2008, 02:25 AM »
WTF?  I didn't open up my Airborne Trooper bust, but that comparison shot is messed up.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: December 4, 2008, 03:37 AM »
Mine's still sealed too, only looked at him through the package. The base looks smaller in hight for the Airborne Trooper in that pic.  ???

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: December 4, 2008, 06:11 PM »
There are some new pictures of the Marine next to a Bacara over at RS and while I'd say it looks a little bit too small, it doesn't look nearly as bad as the Airborne  does - so for now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this is an isolated incident.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2008, 06:38 PM by Rob »

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: December 4, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Someone at RS says that the Renz appeared to be normal, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yup, that was me. I did not have any other regular size Mini-Busts to compare it to right in front of me, but holding it in my hands, it did not appear to be smaller like the Airborne.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: December 7, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Here's a question for those of you who have ordered anything from Gentle Giant's website. How long does it usually take for them to ship things out? I ordered a mini bust almost 2 weeks ago for a friend's Christmas present (first time I've bought a bust, or anything else from GG), my card was charged the day after I made the order, but the order status still says it hasn't been shipped out yet. I'm starting to get really ticked off because I'm hoping to get this before Christmas and it appears there is no way to contact GG or have them respond in a reasonable amount of time. Does anyone have any advice/knowledge for dealing with this situation?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: December 7, 2008, 02:14 PM »
I had the same problem with my Clash of the Titans 3-piece set from them. I sent them 2 e-mails with no replies so I called my CC company for a charge back. To this date I never received them.   >:(