Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 354485 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts
« Reply #2310 on: August 18, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Surprised to see these still available with an edition size of only 2500.  Mine arrived today with a nice low number, 73/2500 so I'm happy to have it.  Still not sure I should have paid full retail, but I'll live with it now.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 18, 2010, 02:49 PM »
yeah, I was surprised to see its still available too.  I got 1000/2500.  They must just throw them in a box and randomly pull them out.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2312 on: August 31, 2010, 02:22 PM »
The SDCC McQuarrie Vader Mini-Bust is now avilable at EE

Amazing - GG sold them during SDCC, Celebration V, and on-line and they still have so many left that they are recruiting the regular retailers to unload them.  Oh how the mighty have fallen...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 31, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Gotta agree with you Jeff.  Even an edition size of 2500 AND Vader can't pull the trigger for folks to buy.  Yikes.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45 PM »
And it is an amazing bust.  GG has just been screwing things up for far too long.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 2, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I'll admit I don't follow the mini bust line as closely as I used to, but it just seems like stuff has slowed down in general a lot as far as those go.  I know many have been delayed several times, and the line just doesn't seem to have the heat that it used to.  I had started getting into the OT busts (I only have 7 of them), and had intentions of getting more - but that sort of got sidetracked.  I had the Hoth ones preordered at one point, but then money got tight and they got delayed, so I cancelled them.  Since then, the budget has lowered, space is at a premium, and I had gotten a couple of regular statues and maquettes that I tend to enjoy a little more (although they are more expensive sometimes).

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: September 9, 2010, 11:46 AM »
So what's the reason?

The combination of price increases and poor distribution? 

I still think they make a really great product, although the EU stuff does nearly nothing for me.

Offline baldrik

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: September 22, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Just got the Leia Hoth mini bust and the blaster is not quite the same one as originally shown (or I got that very rare variant!). NOT

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Just got the Leia Hoth mini bust and the blaster is not quite the same one as originally shown (or I got that very rare variant!). NOT

There are two versions of the Hoth Leia. One is the regular release which comes with the Imperial blaster. The other is a PX Previews Exclusive Mynock Hunt release which comes with an oxygen mask and a Rebel blaster.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2319 on: October 14, 2010, 08:50 PM »

Does this look like utter **** to anyone else?  I really think it's maybe the worst likeness of Calrissian/Billy Dee I've ever seen.  Ever. 

Maybe I'm overly critical...  I like some of GG's stuff though so I don't feel a total bias, but that thing just looks bad to me for some reason.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: October 24, 2010, 11:53 PM »
From what I've seen so far, it looks pretty bad.  Yes.

They've been sort of hit or miss lately.  Oola was excellent IMO... Hoth Leia, not so great and the wrong blaster.  Hoth Han was excellent, Hoth Luke pretty good, but the Snowtrooper's eyes were all goofy. 

Now the Lando thing...

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 25, 2010, 06:49 PM »
this wave of Leia with mask, Oola, Lando, Hoth Han, Hoth Luke must be scaled to the bust ups collection.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2322 on: October 26, 2010, 02:30 AM »
The "Lando Thing" indeed...  It's really attrocious.  I mean, the POTF2 Hasbro figure was a better likeness...  and it's a cheap toy.

For what people pay for these busts, especially new, I woudl really demand near perfection with them.  I only own one, Tarkin, and love it...  But that Lando.  Eegads it's just fugly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 26, 2010, 04:52 PM »
this wave of Leia with mask, Oola, Lando, Hoth Han, Hoth Luke must be scaled to the bust ups collection.

Huh?  The Airborne Trooper and the Galactic Marine were undersized, but I think they've been pretty close since then.

Oola's scale looks right to me.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 26, 2010, 04:53 PM »
The "Lando Thing" indeed...  It's really attrocious.  I mean, the POTF2 Hasbro figure was a better likeness...  and it's a cheap toy.

For what people pay for these busts, especially new, I woudl really demand near perfection with them.  I only own one, Tarkin, and love it...  But that Lando.  Eegads it's just fugly.

From the looks of it, it's the worst thing they've put out since Qui-Gon.  I'm surprised they don't ever hold back and fix things before releasing them, but I doubt they'll start here.

I'm thinking of waiting and picking one up later.  I doubt he's overly popular with that face.