Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 357219 times)

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #735 on: August 12, 2005, 07:27 AM »
Mosnab ,
Buy them,.... buy them ALL!! ;D

(just kidding)

I would say go for the mini busts. There are plenty that are less than $50, and pretty easy to obtain. If you shop around, there are many good deals to be found. ( But do be warned, they are addicting. )  The bust ups are neat, but the mini busts are far more impressive.

With the new versions of Vader & Yoda, you should still be able to build a nice collection over time. Not to mention that these can be displayed with permission of most wives/gilfriends. :P

I would rather chase the GG exclusives than Hasbro's exclusives ANY day! 8)

Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the Madness!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 12, 2005, 11:20 AM »
The busts are limited, but boy, you'd be in a tough position already.  OT Han and Yoda and a Vader that while not OT is rather hard to differentiate. 

I'll change my opinion since Jesse posted the production numbers.  I'd agree with the majority of others, go with the mini-Busts.  I realize Han is your favorite character and you'll be limited in what you can pick up, so get him first.  Clearly Vader and Yoda should be not nearly so hard to pick up as I'd imagined.  I was thinking issue sizes around 7500 to 10000 which would keep the price down for a considerable period of time.  While I think the Yoda and Vader will eventually sell out, it should take years before any price increase occurs and at that it will be fairly minimal.  I'm not sure if you even want them, but I consider them to be must-have pieces. 

As for the bust-ups, most of them can be had for less than original retail on ebay.  I must say, I'm a little disappointed by the lack of demand for them.  I really like them and think the poor demand will spell the end of the line before too long.  I'm sure we'll see the next two series' but after that?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 12, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.  Like you mentioned Brent, that would make a difference too (issue sizes).  I still go back and forth with these, and ideally both lines would be the best.  I "pitched" the idea to my wife saying I'd like to get the Han, and if they ever made a Chewie, and otherwise it would only be one or two here or there each year.  Ideally, I kind of consider the Vader and Yoda you mentioned "must haves" as well.  Too bad they are so close together (for me at least).  The pics I've seen online of the Yoda look amazing.  Part of me leans towards the minibusts because of all the praise of their quality, and it would be my first real foray into "higher end" collectibles.  Then, whenever I go back and look at pics of the upcoming Hoth wave of Bust Ups, it makes me reconsider ;).  The Chewie bust up I have looks great I think, but I wonder if the quality is still there with "human" characters.  From the pics online, they don't look too bad (Series 1), but seem to be getting even better with Series 5.  Anyways, thanks for any and all (continuing) advice, I'm hoping to make a decision pretty soon so I can get things ordered/preordered before it is too late.  It seems like the general consensus here so far is leaning towards the minibusts so far.

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 18, 2005, 12:48 AM »
www.talesofwonder.com has the Boushh Leia and Han in stock as of today.  I just ordered both and the total was $86 and change with shipping.  I recommend them if you are looking to pick these up.   :)   

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 18, 2005, 01:01 AM »
I got my Vader statue from them.  Very good service.

Offline vegastrooper

• Jedi Initiate
  • whatever dude...
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 18, 2005, 03:02 PM »
My Han Solo bust arrived yesterday...

Never really noticed how tan Han was until I opened up the box and free'd him from his styrofoam coffin. 

It's a decent piece...not really good or bad...but I'm happy I got it at an excellent price and that I will give it a good home.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 18, 2005, 04:56 PM »
For anyone who's ordered the Han bust through Diamond (via local comic stores and the like), any ideas when they're shipping?
This is the first one I've gone this route for, and I'm just wondering if there's much of a lag after they appear at retail.

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 23, 2005, 12:04 AM »
Boushh Leia & Han arrived today.   :)

I'm very happy with how Han turned out, definitely exceeded my expectations.  Leia looks better in person than the picture, but something still seems off.  I had planned from the start to display her with the Boushh helmet on so no big deal. 

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 23, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for the pics!  I think I'm passing on the Han; I just don't think it's as good as the Han Stormie (or as representative of the character).  I absolutely love the Boushh, though, and with helmet on, it's PERFECT.

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #744 on: August 23, 2005, 10:33 PM »
Yeah, that Boussh looks real nice.  Nice pix, guys.  Han, eh, I guess he's ok, just not very exciting.  I haven't gotten around to ordering mine yet, but I'll probably see if I can nab them off of eBay for cheap a little ways down the road.  Still have to catch up on a few others first though.

Anyone know who's got the cheapest pre-orders on the upcoming Yoda and Vader pieces?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 23, 2005, 10:36 PM »
$39.99 at Newforcecomics.com is the cheapest I've seen.  I'm supposed to order for Jim and I, but newforce makes me nervous at times.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 24, 2005, 02:12 AM »
I saw Leia yesterday at Suncoast.  She's priced at $49.99. 

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 29, 2005, 08:57 AM »
Got my Leia Today WOW!!!
It is so very nice.
The Boushh head is my fav and that is the way it is staying unless i get a second ;D ;D
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 1, 2005, 12:04 AM »
The newest Bust will be...

Lando Skiff Guard.

It's coming out Feb 2006, but no word on the edition size yet.

Offline valkyrie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 1, 2005, 10:28 PM »
I am selling my pride and joy #1 Jango fett take a look on this subfourm :(

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9276.0