Author Topic: The Star Wars Holiday Special  (Read 35769 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
WARNING! FREAK SHOW!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2003, 02:29 PM »
I picked up a copy of this off of eBay a couple years back.  For the $10-$15 that I paid for it, I'd say it was well worth it!  This show is a nostalgic treasure of years past - true 70's in all it's glory.  No Star Wars video library would be complete without one!

But, with that said, from a Star Wars standpoint, I must point out that this is a complete and total abomination.  An atrocity of monumental proportions.  It's like watching a train wreck, or the freak show at the circus.  You never look at some of your favorite Trilogy characters the same again!  From the very beginning, your jaw just drops open, as you sit and wonder how in the hell this show ever got produced and released on network TV.  What was George thinking when he signed off on this?!?  Absolutely unbelievable...

There are a couple of redeeming points to the Holiday Special though (kinda).  There's the interesting Boba Fett cartoon, with his first ever appearance anywhere in the SW Saga.  Then there's also the Cantina scene...  Sure, it's more than frightening to see one of the Golden Girls filling in for Wuher behind the bar, and leading the entire Cantina alien gang in a wonderous song and dance number.  But if you consider the fact that you barely got a glimpse of most of these aliens in ANH, you'll perhaps enjoy seeing them up close and personal, in much greater detail throughout this extended scene.  Granted they're singing and dancing, but from a reference standpoint, this scene is a customizers dream!

The whole show is just freakishly bizarre.  You'll never be the same after watching it, but it's so far out there that it's almost worth watching just for the pure shock value (similar to the recent Anna Nicole show).

If any of you do wind up getting a copy and watching it, listen to me when I tell you that no matter what, it will be even worse than you ever imagined - despite all the terrible things that you've already heard about it.  It was the most difficult hour or two of my life watching this thing...  But I'm glad that I did, 'cause at least I now know where my POTJ Zutton comes from!

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
Re:Holiday Special.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2003, 08:15 PM »
I want to see it again.. I downloaded it once, but very bad quality... I sure want s to see it, and Carre fisher sings better then my sis so...  ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Special.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2003, 06:04 PM »
For the love of Star wars. Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Star Wars Holiday Special TV Script

Offline BidderFett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2003, 11:30 AM »
I actually saw this when I was kid. All I remember is a scene with chewys' family. I was starting to wonder if it was just  a dream. I'm glad I finally know that it was for real.
But judging from he previous posts maybe it was a nightmare. ;D

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2003, 07:11 PM »
My recommendation for those who might choose to watch this sometime in the future, is to KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED at all times!  And put some earplugs in too!

If you do just those two things, you'll probably enjoy the Holiday Special more, as well as keeping your lofty opinion of the original trilogy intact!   8)

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2003, 02:45 AM »
Can someone hook a brother up with a DVD copy???
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2003, 09:24 AM »

Its not available on DVD. You can download a version of it of the net. Use Kazalite, WinMX or any other download program. Mine was in Zip form & the flick will be a little grainy. If you have a CD Burner, then you can burn it off & store it away for many, many years.  ;D

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2003, 05:58 PM »

Its not available on DVD. You can download a version of it of the net. Use Kazalite, WinMX or any other download program. Mine was in Zip form & the flick will be a little grainy. If you have a CD Burner, then you can burn it off & store it away for many, many years.  ;D
I hate to sound dumb, but I still haven't been able to install Kazaalite properly.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2003, 07:55 AM »
Have you tried WinMX?  WinMX Download

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2003, 03:50 PM »
Nope.  Does it have spyware, or any downsides???

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2003, 04:05 PM »
Nope.  Does it have spyware, or any downsides???

All those programs have spyware.  They'll install other misc programs on your computer without you even knowing about it.  I personally use Kazaa.  If there's something I want I make a list of items.  After the list hits 3 items I then install the program, download what I need, and then uninstall Kazaa.  I know that program is spyware, but it also installs something called SaveNow.  I don't have a clue what that program does, but it installs without my approval... which can't be good.
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2003, 05:12 PM »
A majority of Nucleus file share programs have Spyware.  SaveNow is an advertising Pop-Up that will drive you crazy as with others. These can be eliminated from your PC.
Ad-aware 6.0 can do the job but I DO NOT recommend it.
I use Spybot & highly recommend it.
Please follow this links that I helped with over at GH. They were very happy with the results.
Help! I've picked up a nasty parasite!
New pop-ups?

Best of all, Spybot is free.  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Jared and I just picked up a cool DVD at the Wizard World L.A. convention with a whole slew of Star Wars stuff on it, including the Holiday Special (in great quality).  Check out this sweet custom cover Jared's put together for our DVD, which is based on the original TV guide advertisement for the show:

8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2004, 01:43 PM »
As much as I hate the flick, that cover looks nice. You say the DVD is in great quality!  8)  Now I wish I had a copy.  :-\

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2004, 01:49 PM »
I want one.  The cover looks very good.  I have the special on VHS and it sucks but I am still a completist with the shows, commericals, specials and all that
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge