Author Topic: The Star Wars Holiday Special  (Read 35771 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Star Wars Holiday Special at Target?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Say what?  No matter how bad this was, I still would like a copy that is somewhat viewable.  Out of the 5-6 boots I have had, not one has even decent quality.  This has to be some kind of mistake or typho.  Here is is though:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=8-2/qid=1125403107/ref=sr_8_2/601-4848906-4244917?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00005JOIP

If this does turn out to be the real deal, then Lucas has been sucked up by all the commercialization in our money controlled world.  I mean he has even talked trash about this crap.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 08:02 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Holiday Special at Target?
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 12:10 PM »
I can't decide if this is funny or pathetic.... 

Check out Jeff's next post...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 12:46 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 12:40 PM »
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high...

This was originally posted on Amazon.com earlier this month.

It is just a polling gimmick that was inserted onto Amazon by a third party.  This type of Amazon poll is used by Amazon to try to force studios to release things on DVD!

"Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title."

The only reason it is on Target.com is because Amazon handles all of their Media (Books/Movies/DVD) since Target is an Amazon.com partner! 

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2005, 11:48 PM »
Did anyone else notice the blurb on Rebelscum:

Holiday Special DVD?

Jeremy: Several collecting websites are reporting that Target are taking pre-orders on a Star Wars Holiday Special DVD - click through for updated information.

And when you click Full Report:

Holiday Special DVD?
Posted by Jeremy on August 26, 2005:

The source of this news is Amazon.com whose own order page states:

Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title.

This is simply a polling tactic to scope out the demand for a title, and is in no way indicative of a change in Lucasfilm's position on this masterpiece.

Way to get my hopes up, dummy. When you get updated information in a story that's potentially this big, you update the blurb TOO. ****. ::)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Holiday Special
« Reply #34 on: October 9, 2006, 09:34 AM »
In the course of living in LA and working in the film industry, you tend to run into all kinds of people from the grates to the important unknowns. Last night, while at a Writers Guild function, I had the dubious honor of meeting the writer of the SW Holiday Special. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 10:35 AM »
I hope this **** never washes across a kid's eyes ever again. :P
They would be tramitized like some kid's in the 70's. ;)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Just remember, that was the first look we got at Boba Fett.  Granted, that probably doesn't make up for Carrie Fisher trying to sing, but hey, I'm trying to focus on the positive!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 02:03 AM »
That was the only cool part. Lucas sould put that on the DVD, minus the Lumpy parts. Either that or do new animation for it & have the old voice work.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 01:13 PM »
To me by far the worst part was Bea Arthur singing... or maybe Lumpy's visions of some disco lady. Both parts sucked utterly.

So did trying to mix Harvey Korman with Star Wars in any way other than making him some jackass of an imperial officer. If they did that, it might've worked, but they attempted no such intelligent satire.

As it is... Harrison Ford tries to not look like the fool he feels like... Mark Hamill was clearly on crack during most of his scenes (way too enthusiastic), and the makeup he has is terrible even if this was shortly post-car wreck... and Carrie Fisher looks embarassed to be a part of the whole thing, probably the catalyst for mostly quitting acting later on. Peter Mayhew and Anthony Daniels are glad to have jobs and glad no one sees their faces, and Kenny Baker might not've been involved- he isn't credited at any rate.

Then, we've got Chewie's family, who are all sappy and ridiculous. The costumes were surprisingly decent for a production of this kind, but they still weren't selling it with their cheesy plot and lack of any examples but visual ones. Chewie worked because he had a translator handy most of the time (Han or 3PO) to respond to him; 15 minutes of Wookies trying to get ideas across to a viewer by actions doesn't work.

Then there's this variety show crap mixed in that doesn't belong anywhere near Star Wars... Jefferson Starship's least impressive performance ever, Bea Arthur of Maude/the Golden Girls fame who should never ever try to sing, Harvey Korman of various movies- Blazing Saddles comes to mind- trying to make bad advertising jokes, and that middle-aged guy all the fans of the holiday special like who might've been okay if he didn't make more bad jokes and sales pitches.

Then there's the Empire who's so incompetent it's funny. Vader's one line is so general purpose one expects they got James Earl Jones to drop by and do one line long before they got anything written, the imperial officers all stand around making wry comments, faces, and not paying good attention, and the Stormtroopers fail at the simple art of wrestling/bear hugging skinny smugglers. No wonder Dak thought he could take the whole empire on himself- he could've if he'd attempted a couple years earlier.

Then there's the cartoon, which I wanted to like, but I have to say that's one of the ugliest art styles I've ever seen! I'm sorry. Also, Boba Fett is completely incompetent; if he hadn't halfway informed the rebels of his plan the moment they showed up and left clues everywhere for them to follow, he might've gotten away with it! The greatest bounty hunter ever; he fails to defeat a critical group of Rebels under Vader's payroll because he screws around, tells them most of his plan, and lets them figure the rest out- then turns and runs when they do rather than, y'know, shooting them- and then he finds the Falcon, tattles, loiters around Cloud City, runs away when the rebels come after him again, then when he actually has to fight, his gun gets cut in half and a jetpack malfunction launches him to his death/a few years trapped in the Sarlacc before he somehow escapes. Maybe they sent Luke/Leia/Han/Chewie/the droids any combination in after him and it enabled him to run away again.

Sorry :P I like Boba Fett, but you have to admit it is a little silly. Also, the cartoon is really pretty enjoyable, and definatly the best material in the Holiday Special by quite a bit.

Also, my negative dialogue on this subject is because I had a ball watching it (even if it was a terrible quality internet download- not that I expect DVDs to be loads better, but mine had a tiny resolution/filesize). It's like, MST3K-worthy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:14 PM by Mitsukara »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 8, 2006, 03:30 PM »
Don't you mean to switch Mark & carrie around. Carrie REALLY looked like she was on dope or crack or something.  ;)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 01:20 PM »
They both were, probably, to escape the pain of actually shooting the production.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53 AM »
I wish this would actually get released, Regardless of how bad it is, it is still part of the history of Star Wars. The cartoon (the best part) deserves to be released. I still have a soft spot for the Wookie family, wishing we could get a box set of them. A release would help that along i think.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 2, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I agree with they should bring this out, heck they brought out the Phantom Menace, lol.

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 7, 2007, 10:55 PM »
I agree with they should bring this out, heck they brought out the Phantom Menace, lol.
AHHHHH Damnit episode one was goood if you insult episode 1 again I'll kick your little as.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: December 8, 2007, 01:29 AM »
Bye bye BP! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77