Author Topic: Have You/Could You Give up the Basic Line?  (Read 13349 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Have You/Could You Give up the Basic Line?
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:43 AM »
This is stemming a bit out of some of the posts in the "future of" thread.  It seems like more and more people are stopping collecting the basic (Hasbro) figure line, cutting back, or maybe thinking about one or the other.  I was curious to hear some of your thoughts on this.  Have you already given it up, or cut back considerably?  Are you thinking about it?  Or, is there a specific point in the line (or maybe a specific figure or figures) that would be the point of "ok, I've got what I want now" and call it quits.  With more and more people opting for the higher end stuff all the time, I'm curious how much life the line has in it.  It sounds like next year could be a bigger year with toys based on this upcoming video game and/or cartoon, as well as some nice figures that we got a glimpse of at Comic Con - but things do seem to be slowing down overall.  Are you at the point where you feel you are "almost done", or maybe you've already passed this point....or maybe you are in it for the long haul.  How do you feel about the line, and your personal collecting in the future.  What is driving you away (feel complete, other collectibles, or just tired of collecting in general)?

Personally, I think I'll always collect the basic figure line in some capacity.  It is starting to get the point where there might not be a whole lot of all-new figures that I necessarily "need", since we really are getting some background characters at this point.  Of course, I'll pick them up if/when they get made - but I don't know that I need them to feel complete.  A lot of the figures I look forward to now are what are essentially resculpts - whether it be in the VTSC line or in the regular basic line.  New figures are nice too of course, and I always look forward to those.  I've always leaned a little more towards the OT, so when you take out the nice PT clones/Jedi that could be on the way, there might not be a whole lot left to do (as far as all-new characters) in the OT.  At least not to the point that it could drive a line.  The background stuff is great, but after a couple of years they could have much of that covered as well.  Anyways, I'd likely be in this in some capacity til the end (as long as it wasn't all repacks) - but I could see cutting back more and more.  I like the high end stuff as well, and would collect it more if I could afford it, but its always started with the action figures for me - it would be tough to give those up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 10:51 AM by Brian »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Giving Up the Basic Line: Have You/Could You?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I may not be a "buy two of everything" kind of guy anymore, but I will continue to buy Hasbro stuff until the day it ends. 

Whether they are new or repacks or repaints or re-hashes or kit-bashes or whatever, I'll still get in line to buy one carded for my carded figure collection.  I've come this far, why not stick it out to the end?   :-[
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Have You/Could You Give up the Basic Line?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:54 AM »
I certainly could, but haven't had to thus far. As long as I have room to stash the figures and the money to keep buying them, I'll still be going for a while. If I ever did have to cut back, I would concentrate on OT and Imperials armies.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 02:24 PM »
If I ever did have to cut back, I would concentrate on OT and Imperials armies.

This is what I have done since the beginning of the re-launch.  Except for a brief experimentation with ROTS stuff (I opened them, but I never inhaled), it has pretty much been OT and OT Army builders.  I will even buy a re-paint/re-package if it is a substantial improvement over the previous release.  Except for the frustration of finding the stuff, I am content with the basic line. I am an opener, so I don't have the storage, display and variation problems that alot of the Carded guys have.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 02:56 PM »
I've made concessions in areas like Deluxe, Vehicles, Beasts and Playsets over the years...  I haven't bailed on the basic line though, however I do not collect carded so I avoid repacks galore, and I don't feel I need EVERY paint variant of a figure (though I did get a number of OTC Paint variants like the Sandperson and Jawas due to the army builder-ness of them).

I doubt I'd give up the line short of some emergency in my life, however that I'd probably still come back after I'd taken care of my other responsibilities.  I can only see a financial crisis as my ultimate killing of my collecting. 

I'm not big into anything else though, and only pick up a thing here and there...  Like ornaments, or some miniature type stuff, or even books/comics.  I'm just not much of a Star Wars collector I guess. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:28 PM »
I don't think I will, well until Hasbro makes the basics 20 bucks a figure. ::)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:28 AM »
Basic figures would be hard to give up.  Unless the whole basic line turns into G.I.JOE a la 1994 neon color/crappy figure land.  I have asked myself on a few occasions, "When is it gonna be enough?"  As I stand in my toy room admiring my collection and realizing that this room is one of my favorite parts of the house, I know the end will be a long while.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:36 AM by Kit »

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 07:27 AM »
I will probably continue in some capacity, but I have cut back considerably. I am an opener with some carded (the OTC, store exclusives,  and select saga figures) in there as well.
I am an army builder, and can't help getting imperials when they are out on the shelves. But I am trying to limit my other purchases to figures I really like. This usually means OT, and something that is a big improvement over the last version, or is new altogether. But I am a sucker for clones as well.
I'm one of the frequent ramblers in the other thread Brian mentioned (the future of star wars collecting), so if I am redundant, please accept my apologies. As much as I love the star wars figures and ships, I find too many of them are simply "things I own in a box somewhere." I really want them out filling in a scene, so that if I show a non-star wars collector one of my cabinets, they can go "wow, I remember that scene."
So my collection is starting to move toward things that fit with the scenes I will display. Death Star, Hoth, Dagobah, Cantina, Jabba's palace, the Clone Wars cartoon collection, Lars Homestead, etc etc etc. If they can find a home in one of these, there is a pretty good chance I will get it. If not, I most likely pass. The naboo wave is almost a complete pass, although I will hope to find a couple of endor grunts on sale come christmas time.

Kubricks have become my new plastic-fume-high source.

So I will buy figures here and there, and hope Hasbro comes around and makes a few dirorama type environments that will help showcase the figures that keep my kids in the public education system.   

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:56 PM »
I will not give them up totally.   I am especially tempted by the never before made figures (like Moff Jerjerrod) or ones that they remake from the vintage line like Chief Chirpa.   The resculpted versions of characters like AT-AT Driver, Gunner, Garindan.  Even though they are superior to the older ones at this point I really debate on whether I will get them or not.  Some of those examples I bought anyway.  But now it's a debate for me....rather than Hell Yes it's on the pegs I must get it now!!!!  I let them sit on the pegs instead of initially buying the first one I see.  It may be a long while before I get them or I just do not at all.  I certainly won't be buying the rehashed or repackaged stuff like Kitik, Devaronian, etc.  Some figure that just don't interest me at all I won't get either like say Lushros Dofine (sorry Nute!) and some others. 

Plus I skip some anymore for the simple fact that I got so many damn figures now it's nauseating.  That and they have made about every character I could possible want already anyway.  There really is not that much more I'd probably buy.  Well there could be but I doubt they ever make the figures I'm thinking about.  I am looking forward to stuff like Biggs Academy, McQuarrie figures if they look decent, Hermi Odle, Kashyyyk Trooper, Galactic Marine, and Parajai Trooper.   But my enthusiasm for them has tapered lately.  I may snap out of it though. 

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 03:44 PM »
No

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 10:27 PM »
If it came down to money problems later in life, then yes, I could quit. But no way on Earth could I just randomly quit collecting.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 01:47 AM »
Damn, I've tried and tried to quit. I managed to quit smoking once, but I can't seem to give up hunting and buying these little pieces of plastic crack.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 08:44 PM »
It's possible I could. I already just buy the figures I'm interested in and forget about the one's I don't like. Somedays, the search takes its toll and I think it's not worth it. Plus, I've got a wife who disapproves of my habit. And it's tiring trying to sneak things by her.

Offline RichardTheBloody

• Jedi Initiate
  • I find your lack of pants...disturbing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 11:31 PM »
I have given it up, more or less...the only 3.75 inch figures i've bought this year were the AT-AT driver and the VTSC Biker Scout. I could have cried the other day though. Both TRUs in town restocked within 2 days of each other...snow, sand, and scout troopers and Cantina wave figures all over the place...That Endor AT-AT looks sweet though, same with the Shuttle whenever it comes out. Almost makes me glad i've gone over to the 12 inch Figures...that way i don't have any cash (or room really :D) for the figures AND vehicles LOL.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 09:30 PM »
When Hasbro starts coming out with non- SWsy colors for the whole line, I'll give it up.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m