Author Topic: Have You/Could You Give up the Basic Line?  (Read 13302 times)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: Have You/Could You Give up the Basic Line?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 09:31 PM »
I currently buy less than 50% of the figure release in the Bsiac line.  At this rate in 3 or 4 years I expect that Hasbro will not be able to get a penny from me. :'(
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 10:02 PM »
I gave up on collecting Hasbro SW stuff back when Phantom Menace came out. I actually made my first Hasbro purchase tonight, I picked up a Cheif Chirpa tonight because it's in scale with my Kubrick SW collection and looks pretty good in contrast. If Hasbro churns out more Ewoks/Jawas in that size I'll pick 'em up...but until then, I'll keep on what I've been collecting.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Actually Ewoks are planned for next year, hopefully the size of Chirpa.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 02:32 AM »
Actually Ewoks are planned for next year, hopefully the size of Chirpa.

nice, i'm looking forward to them if they ever get released. i'd complain about spending $7 on an ewok for the size and lack of accessories, but i figure it's cheaper than most kubricks out there (and is in exact scale which is pretty nifty).......

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 07:01 AM »
When Hasbro starts coming out with non- SWsy colors for the whole line, I'll give it up.
So, January then?  ;)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 05:43 AM »
When Hasbro starts coming out with non- SWsy colors for the whole line, I'll give it up.

We are already getting there...

"This is the way."

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 11:57 AM »
Is it just me or is Hasbro doing to Star Wars what they did to the 80's GI Joe line?

Clearly they have been doing it to vehicles for a while but now they are clearly doing it to figures too.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 12:32 AM »
I have cut back on my collecting. I don't buy vehicles any more other than the few exceptions, but overall if they are not to scale IMO I don't buy. The basic line is about the same, with only getting the figures I think are an improvement and/or new with some repaints if they’re cool looking. Other than that repacks can peg warm and vehicles can go to the kiddies ;). I have even cut out the multi-packs if nothing in the pack is new, cool looking, or I could customize with them.

Conclusion: Hasbro as been getting less out of me these days and if it continues I could stop all together.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Between SAGA, OTC-post OTC, Heros, and 30th anniversary, my collecting of the 3 3/4 line is coming to an end.   Not stopping altogether yet- but buying only those characters that haven't been produced before (cantina/ Jabba aliens for example) and the occasional (as mentioned earlier in the thread) remake of an existing figure if the sculpt is a vast improvement.   I'll continue to focus mainly on the LEGO and Sideshow 12" lines and pick and choose what basic figs, if any, I'll purchase.   I'll probably continue to pick up the exclusives but beyond that- just new sculpts.

I'm totally not thrilled with the current EU lineup of figures- C'Mon Hasbro.. give us some NEW characters for EU.. not "concept" figures of characters you already have 16 releases for.

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 03:50 PM »
I'm burnt out on 3 3/4" figures. 

Personally, I have all the characters I want (minus a few here and there) and I'm not excited about another (potential) price increase next year.

Space is an issue and I really don't get excited anymore over the Hasbro lines.  The rehashes, pricing and distribution hasn't helped either.

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 05:06 PM »
I have been cutting back on SW merchandise (Marvel Legends as well), niot because I want to, but because the area where I live has been bad for getting new product in since at least spring. The WalMart here is still waiting for a case of Star Wars figures even though they ordered a new case to fill the empty pegs 4 months ago (the new planogram even has 4 or 5 pegs devoted to SW basic figs, yet there has not been anything there for months)

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I doubt i will ever stop buying the basic figures until they become to much $
Momar and Fester

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 10:10 PM »
my collecting of the 3 3/4 line is coming to an end.   Not stopping altogether yet- but buying only those characters that haven't been produced before (cantina/ Jabba aliens for example) and the occasional (as mentioned earlier in the thread) remake of an existing figure if the sculpt is a vast improvement.   

This is exactly where I am. After large amount of repaints in the OTC line, I stopped collecting one of every figure loose. Just like I stopped collecting one of every figure carded back during POTJ, it started becoming a space issue. Hundreds of figures carded/boxed vs. hundreds of figures loose. I figured back them if i have a Vader carded, I had a representation of that card type in my collection, and focusung on cards of characters I like (Vader/Yoda) rather than figures like Malikili and ugnaughts, made mor esense to me. The same thing happened with the repaints. Even though the repaints in OTC looked nice, I had jawas, scanning trooper etc, did I need them with painted highlights, too? Did I need 5 packs with 3 figures I have and one repainted? Do I need a vehicle just because it has a new figure? No, No, No...Now it's just new characters and/or nicely done resculpts and some repaints/kit bashes that are "new" characters (i.e Muftak the Jedi, droid 5 pack repaints, etc)

"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Ah, this is where the thread I was thinking of is.  Probably should meld my little whining thread from the other forum into here if you get a chance. 

My anxiousness with Hasbro's 3.75" is pretty much done.  Still like the stuff, still want one of the new figures that aren't prequel and aren't rehashed/repainted.  Otherwise I could care less.  At one point I bought the battle of Carkoon set for a repainted Han, not happening again. 

I'm not sure I can give it up, but they're pushing the limits to see if I can.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 01:19 PM »
I've always just collected what I like - not everything.  I used to collect some carded figures, but now I only collect the VOTC carded.  My armies (squads really) are getting close to all I want, but there are still several holes (SA Snowtroopers or SA Jedi Luke anyone?).  I'm also trying to pick up the best sculpts of the figures from the scenes I want to build dioramas for.  So my collecting will slow(I have only purchased 9 unique figures (11 total) + 5 VTSC this year (11 total)), but I don't see it ending for quite a while.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:20 PM by darthmac »