Author Topic: NHL 2006-07  (Read 32339 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2006-07
« Reply #105 on: April 9, 2007, 10:33 AM »
Well, since the playoff teams are finally set, I'll go ahead and start talking out of my ass and make some predictions (with my Sharks bias in full bloom):

Buffalo over Islanders
NJ over TB
Atl over Rangers
Pitt over Ottawa

Detroit over Calgary
Anaheim over Wild
Dallas over Vancouver
Sharks over Nashville (Yeah, could go the other way, too, but what the hell)

2nd round

Pitt over Buffalo
NJ over Atllanta

Detroit over Dallas
Sharks over Anaheim

3rd round
Pitt over NJ
Sharks over Detroit

Championship
Pitt over Sharks (realist)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2007, 12:21 AM »
Not that it fits and not that many are aware it was even on, but Canada defeated the US tonight here in Winnipeg at the IIHF Women's World Hockey Championships, 5-1 if I got the score correct.   :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2007, 03:27 AM »
Not that it fits and not that many are aware it was even on, but Canada defeated the US tonight here in Winnipeg at the IIHF Women's World Hockey Championships, 5-1 if I got the score correct.   :-*

I watched some of that game at Boston Pizza tonight, great stuff to watch.   :D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01 AM »

At least I can take solace in the fact that the gal who scored for Team USA was a Golden Gopher.   :)

Oh, and to keep things on topic, it looks like I'll have tickets for Game 4 vs. the Ducks next Tuesday.   8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:02 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2007, 03:31 PM »
OK, I think I'm ready now...

"East is Least" Conference

Round 1:
Sabres over Islanders in 4
Lightning over Devils in 7
Thrashers over Rangers in 6
Penguins over Senators in 5

Round 2:
Sabres over Lightning in 4
Penguins over Thrashers in 6

Conference Championship:
Buffalo Sabres over Penguins in 6

"West is Best" Conference  ;D

Round 2:
Red Wings over Flames in 6
Wild over Ducks in 7
Canucks over Stars in 5
Predators over Sharks in 6

Round 2:
Red Wings over Wild in 5  :'(
Predators over Vancouver in 6

Conference Championship:
Detroit Red Wings over Predators in 7

The Battle for Lord Stanley's Cup:

Detroit Red Wings over Buffalo in 6

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2007, 09:08 PM »
stupid leafsbeat out one of Canada's chances for bringing the cup home....on other note. lets go CALGARY! and maybe the canucks.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2007, 12:50 AM »
Oh god the Pens ate **** tonight.  ::)  There's some bright spots to consider...  slightly, but nothing much I care to talk about.  I felt like fighting someone by the end of the night, I was all hyped up and then let down.  Friggin' Gonchar on that first goal just stood there...  Eaton tipped in the 5th goal himself almost as if that was what he intended to do...

They better get their **** together.  Ottawa just owned them tonight, and it wasn't even their big guys doing the work, it was the muckers and grinders combined with a good blue line.

The one things the Senators did that I didn't respect in the slightest was send out tough guys that weren't willing to drop the gloves at the end of the night.  If you're gonna take liberties (and boy there were some suspension-worthy clips a couple times, plus a shot from a Senator on the bench that would've been worth a game), at least have the balls to drop the gloves.  It wasn't like it would've made a difference for either team really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2007, 10:35 AM »
Playoff hockey, whistle has been swallowed.  Pens better get tough and dirty if they want to survive. 

Interesting to see most pundits have picked the Pens to get out of this series.  I don't know about that.  I expect a seven game series but my impression of the Pens is they do lack toughness, especially on defense.  Gonchar is an offensive defenseman, always has been, always will be; expecting him to actually play defense isn't overly realistic, more of a bonus when he does.  Whitney is seeming to be a similar mold too, but just scoring won't win games now. 

Best part of last night was quad-OT ;D  I think the shootout has been great for the regular season (though we could debate how that's affected records like Brodeur's wins in a season vs Parent) but the playoffs are a time for overtime.  Shoutouts have no place here and to see one of the very first games go into the wee hours of the morning was oh so sweet.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2007, 01:06 AM »
No doubt...  Therrien was pissed today when asked about Laraque's behavior when put on the ice...  I expect to see Laraque suited again (there's some doubt), and laying people out next game...  Or he's just not going to be suited up at all.

Whitney's not much for offense, he just came alive this year so I don't agree with that...  But Gonchar I 100% agree with.  That's why he's usually paired iwth Eaton who's been our best Dman for a while, and he's really a reliable guy.  He was outstanding, but he can't do it himself...  Not that Gonchar was dismal all night, he had his moments defensively (especially on that breakaway by I think Heatley), but that first goal I think it was, he was just standing there and took nobody out of the play.

In situations similar I was laying people out left and right and I couldn't believe my eyes watching him just stand there like a lump.

But a lot needs put on the offense.  They didn't help at all...  Nobody was finishing, they pulled this pass, pass, pass, lose the puck bull**** all night... 

The whistles going away pissed me off though.  They'd call wishy washy hooks all night till they broke the damn whistle, but twice on Malkin there were suspension worthy clips that could've been called right in front of a zebra, and then during the one scuffle there was a friggin' Senator on the bench taking swings...  The NHL itself should've stepped in and handed one out after the game was over for that.

They got embarassed, they deserved it, and they better get their **** together for Saturday.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2007, 02:52 AM »

Whitney's not much for offense, he just came alive this year so I don't agree with that... 
37 points in the last 44 games and you disagree?  Ok, but I don't see a better scoring defenseman in the second half of the season.

But a lot needs put on the offense.  They didn't help at all...  Nobody was finishing, they pulled this pass, pass, pass, lose the puck bull**** all night... 
Ah, the old Winnipeg Jets school of offense.  Yeah, that didn't work.

They got embarassed, they deserved it, and they better get their **** together for Saturday.
Ayup.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2007, 03:31 AM »
Like I said, it's this year...  He sorta jumped to.  Whitney's really good defensively though...  That's why he gets paired iwth Gonchar on the PP, otherwise it'd be like having 2 offense holding down your point on the PP...  Which has worked in the past for the Pens teaming guys like Murphy with Ron Francis back in the cup years, but that doesn't work now.

Whitney's more offense than our other defensive players though aside from Gonchar...  He does well on the 2nd line for that and giving it a more defensive presence.  Gonchar and Eaton on the 1st line works great when Gonchar's at least not committing to dumb ass pokes on the blueline when he's got 3 different colored sweaters behind him...  ::)  I think I counted him doing that two or three times Wednesday and I let loose a curse-fest every time.

Whitney's definitely got offensive skill though, I didn't deny that, but what I was saying is I think you're short-changing his defensive ability.  He's much more a defenseman than Gonchar, and his offensive ability has flourished this year.  He's a great pairing with Gonchar on the PP for that reason because he's good at making sure he doesn't overcommit.  I love how he sneaks down the left wing while the others cycle and he can snap those quick one-timers in from just off the circle.  It's a set Pen's play they run routinely and it really worked well this year.

I'm pumped for Saturday but this is a time of year I get really REALLY down when things don't go my way too.  I love football but when things go bad for the Steelers I shrug it off.  When things don't go the Pen's way I go into a funk. :(

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2007, 08:54 AM »
This has been the year of scoring in the Playoffs...wow.

Gotta love the 9pm (local) start and the 4 overtimes on the Stars game...

I am predicting failure for the Stars in the first round.  And a New Goalie next season.  Makes me miss Darcy Wackaluk.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Makes me miss Darcy Wackaluk.

Darcy Wakaluk?   :o  There's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time...  I think I might still have a Wakaluk card in the basement:

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2007, 05:56 PM »
Hell of a game to be at last night, probably ranks as the most exciting hockey game I've been to since our first playoff win against the Wings a couple years ago. My favorite part of the night was the drive home listening to the post game show, and hearing Wilson step up to the mike and announce he had no comment. First time I've ever heard him speechless!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Whoa, he speaks... :)

Good Pens game today...  They came out hard in the 1st, took it to Ottawa but still didn't shoot enough to suit me.  The 2nd rolled around and they were flat...  Someone must've bitched up a storm between periods though because they came out hard in the 3rd.

Good seeing Crosby shrugging off checks, putting others down instead of them dumping him...  Malkin looked shakey again but was moving away from checks at least (When I saw him out, I realized I could knock him down so I know he's gonna take a beating in the playoffs).  Staal looked super strong again...  No wasted ice time with Laraque if he isn't gonna do his job...  Gonchar looked ****** on D again but I think his partners were stepping it up. 

Too many penalties on us, not enough on the Sens...  again.  Seems you're now allowed to cross check stars in the face.  I must've missed that rule change...  I also didn't realize that you're allowed to come in and hit people near your net after the whistle's blown.

I know it sounds biased of me but I didn't see the Penguins get away with much at all, all day, and I watch the Sens put their hand in the cookie jar all day long...  Same with Wednesday's game.  If that continues, that's a mountain to climb on top of an already tough series. 

Still though, the Pens took it to Ottawa more today...  Roberts especially was just insane with the hits.  People criticized them picking him up at the deadline but that's looking more and more like a genius move.  The only thing that sucks was we lost our best face-off guy at the deadline too, and face-offs are a major weak point for them. 

This back-to-back game stuff is bull**** too...  I cannot believe they're doing this.  What if you get into major overtimes a night, then have a game the following day?  This is stupid, without a doubt.